The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
MosinM38

Taurus using a S&W rear sight. Possible? +.357 Sig barrel on a .40 question

Hey there.

Got a question for y'all.

Dad's Taurus 94 .22 is missing it's rear sight. The situation was the rear screws holding the blade came loose, and the blade fell out. He was on the verge of just making a blade for it, but the "Nice folks" at Taurus convinced him to send in the entire rear sight for blade replacement.

He regretted it the minute he stuck it in the mail, and it turned out to be warrented. He sent it to them in August, and since then they just keep saying "It'll be ready next week. Our parts have not been imported yet".

So..Regardless he has basically said to with it.

Question:

Has anyone ever tried jury-rigging a S&W rear sight assembly on a Taurus revolver? We compared a S&W Model 60 (.357 mag), and a Taurus and they looked almost identical with the bolt holes just slightly differant.

He figured he could get a J frame (Or K frame?) rear sight assembly and with a little filing, or tapping of another bolt hole (In the sight), he could get it to fit.

But before he paid $50 for a rear sight, he wanted to know if anyone else has done it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

And I had a question of my own.

I had sorta been planning on getting ahold of a Sig P226 in .40 at our local shop but it disappeared the day I went in to wrangle hold of it And then later get a .357 sig barrel as well.

My question is: Failing in the fact of getting a P226, I was sortof looking into a Para-Ordnance P16 in .40 S&W. I looked around, but couldn't find a .357 Sig barrel for it. Does someone make one, and if so, is it safe to put on the 1911 frame? I had to ask because from what I heard, putting a .357 barrel on a Beretta 96 .40 was NOT a really smart idea.

Or what other .40s/.357's that could have the barrels swapped easily would be a good choice?

Thanks again!!!

P.S. It Might just be our experiance, but to let everyone know: Very dis-satisfied customer of Taurus.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:43 PM   #2
MosinM38

Hmmm...Nothing?

Does anyone know a good forum to ask this on? I sorta looked, but couldn't find a good forum that looked...uh...reputable enough.
Old March 1, 2009, 10:40 PM   #3
MosinM38

Just figured I may as well let people know how it turned out.

Dad ordered a sight from S&W, arrived 2 days later, on his gun 2 days after that

Took a new hole to drill (In the sight itself), real close to the factory one, but it worked and it's on. Works good too, and a better quality sight than the one that was on it.
Old August 4, 2009, 08:59 PM   #4
mouse07410

S&W L-frame sights for Taurus 608?

Do you think Taurus 608 revolver would accommodate S&W sights made for L-frame?

And as we're at it - any guess what S&W sights might fit on Raging Bull .44?

Tnx!
Old August 5, 2009, 07:04 AM   #5
MosinM38

I'm not sure, as I don't know what frame sizes co-ordinate with each other.

My GUESS, is that the corrosponding S&W frame size sight should work on a Taurus, considering the .22's were so close.
Old February 19, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
LvM

I ahve a Taurus 94 22lr 2 in. barrel. The first time shooting it the rear sight blade got lost. I found an old Ruger MK II rear sight I had and the sight blade looked very similar. I took the blade out of the mount and it fits right into the Taurus mount. Waiting the shoot it and sight it in. Good Luck.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:45 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sometimes similar parts from different make guns will interchange or be close enough that a part of one make can be fitted to another. But it is not anything that can be assured and in some cases could be dangerous.

Jim