The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 17, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Char181

Which Permit to Carry? (SBS)

Is a copy of the approved SBS permit ,complete with the copy of the stamp, acceptable to carry with the gun or does the original paperwork have to travel with the shotgun as proof of its legality?
Old March 17, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2
pdogkilr

I have an SBR (should be the same in the eyes of BATFE) and my dealer said a copy of the paperwork was acceptable. Not only that, but he suggested NEVER carrying the originals - subject to loss or damage.

Having said that, an SBR cannot be transported across a state line without written permission from BATFE - not really sure if this applies to SBS or not, but I would think it does. There is a "Transport" form you fill out and send in (address on the back of the form) it normally comes back within two weeks.

I transport to shoots in Florida and Tennessee. I send in a form for each state, each year with a one year duration on them. This keeps me clean for a year to shoot in either state. I carry copies of these also, not originals.

Hope this helped.
Old March 17, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Char181

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I just got my permit to build the shotgun after an 8 month wait. I ran copies to keep in the car and in my range bag and a few extras around the house. Probably would not take it across State lines but good information to know. It's just kind of a cool gun and a curiosity piece and occasional shooter for me.
Old March 18, 2012, 05:35 PM   #4
WinterBoarder

AS pdogkilr stated, definitely carry copies of the approved forms and not the originals. I have copies in all of my range bags. I've even heard of people who shrunk the copies down to business card size and laminated them, keeping them in their wallets. As long as it's legible, you could shrink them down.

As far as crossing state lines, if you want or need to travel out of state with any NFA item, you have to submit form 5320.20 to the BATF&E and await their approval before traveling. They generally approve these pretty quickly, based on the one time I traveled with two SBRs for training. Interesting point is that if you own a suppressor, you do not have to submit a form 5320.20 when traveling out of state. Not sure the rational behind that.

Last edited by WinterBoarder; March 18, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old March 19, 2012, 05:18 PM   #5
jmorris

You don't HAVE to carry anything but a copy can save you some time.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Deja vu

Quote:
You don't HAVE to carry anything but a copy can save you some time.
Really? My FFL said that I should have the paper work on me any time I have the suppressor (once I get it... its my first one)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 20, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

No, you don't HAVE to but most states consider a tax stamp to be affirmative defense against prosecution. Without having proof that you have a stamp will probably send the wrong message to any LEOs who get nosy about your NFA stuff.

Tags
paperwork , permit , sawed-off , sbs