The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2011, 10:07 PM   #1
gigante

Ramshot Powders Through a Lee Pro Auto Disk

Hi Everyone, I would like to try some loads using Ramshot powders, True Blue and Silhouette to be exact, but Ramshot powders are not listed in the capacity chart that comes with the measure. I checked Lee's PDF to see if there might be an updated version, but there was not. Is there a chart out there somewhere, or will I just have to do the experiments myself to determine which disk to use for the charge weights in which I'm interested. Thank you very much in advance for any input you could provide.
Old July 31, 2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

Call Lee Precision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigante
Ramshot Powders Through a Lee Pro Auto Disk
Hi Everyone, I would like to try some loads using Ramshot powders, True Blue and Silhouette to be exact, but Ramshot powders are not listed in the capacity chart that comes with the measure. I checked Lee's PDF to see if there might be an updated version, but there was not. Is there a chart out there somewhere, or will I just have to do the experiments myself to determine which disk to use for the charge weights in which I'm interested. Thank you very much in advance for any input you could provide.
While I am one of those who claim you CAN reload without owning a scale (using the Lee dippers and the charging tables as your weight guide), I also advocate using a scale as your final verification and confirmation of your actual dropped charge weight before finishing any cartridge if at all possible.

Until Lee Precision makes available an updated charging data table. I would call their support people (or email them, they have always (all three times) responded to me promptly with answers. It helps to be VERY specific with your questions, though.)

Good Luck.

I was advised that the Ramshot powders, being spherical, meter well in the Auto-Disk (and, by implication in the dippers, too). I have not verified this for myself, though.

If you MUSt load before Tuesday or Wednesday, perhaps someone who owns some of the powders you have on hand and happen to have some Lee dippers might be kind enough to weigh out some charges for you if you tell them which set of dippers you have and the weight range in which you are interested. Early Lee dippers were numbered. Current ones are labelled in cubic centimeters (cc's) and I think some sets might have been labelled in cubic inches. So, be VERY careful about the decimal point.

Lost Sheep

Lost Sheep
Old July 31, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Sport45

Here's a chart posted last year by Walkalong on The High Road. Not sure where it came from, but it has data for those powders. I checked the bulk density indicated on Ramshot's site and the numbers match what is indicated.

Powder Density Chart

Here's a Lee Dipper chart he posted that has True Blue

Lee Dipper Chart
Old July 31, 2011, 08:04 PM   #4
gigante

Lost Sheep and Sport45, thank you very much for the replies, input, and links. I will put in a call to Lee. It would take naught but time to nail down what I need. I figured someone had to be faced with this situation before me, and there might be something published, thus saving a little extra time. Not a problem. Experiments are what I do for a living, which is why I enjoy reloading so much. I normally load .38 special with W231, but I got a jug of True Blue and figured I'd start looking into that. Since I have a go to load for W231, and enough loaded rounds to last me for a while, I would try to find a good load for 158gr moly coated LRN, which I have not loaded yet. I've really used nothing but W231, and I have other powders on the shelf that have to be used sometime. I'll play with Titegroup until I find out about the True Blue. Thanks again, gentlemen.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I never pay any attention to the Lee data. I just try different disks until I find one that spits out the right amount of powder. Better yet, since I went to the adjustable charge bar, I just turn the dial until it gives me the right amount of powder.

I like True Blue a lot, usually from the mid range magnum loads. It's slower than 231, so I'm not sure how clean it will burn at 38 spl pressures.
Old August 1, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
jim8115

Homemade powder dipper

What I do, using a powder scale to calibrate (of course), take a 38 case, put a 125 grain semi-wadutter in it upside down, then gradually press it in until it has the exact capacity I desire.. then glue it to a pop-sickle stick for a handle, you can write what it is on the handle ( 4.5 grains W231, xx grains Unique) whatever