The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 28, 2000, 08:03 PM   #1
LASur5r

I hope you guys can bear my insufferable posts, but I just wanted everyone, including myself to scrutinize the scenarios that I post and figure weak and strong points if any and fit it to your philosophy of self-defense.

The one qualifier that I would like everyone to remember is Mr. Murphy or Mr. O'Toole as Fubsy puts it. This is the situation that everything goes FUBAR and TSHTF no matter how much you train.

Fubsy just wrote the situation where his friend was involved. The good guy made it in this situation.

Years back I knew a kendo instructor who was instructing a class in which they had a newbie. The instructor took off his protective helmet and told the newbie to attack with his shinai (bamboo sword?) The newbie attacked, not with an overhead strike but with a lunge where he literaly ran at the instructor and thrust the point into the instructor's throat. Situation went FUBAR.
Mr. Murphy stepped in by having the instructor step backwards into a post in the middle of the room, thus stopping his retreat and also so that there was no give.
The force of the thrust was such that the bamboo sword broke in half...the instructor died in the dojo.

In one of my posts, I wrote that I was trying to get away from some gang types when I unknowingly drove right into their hangout. The situation went FUBAR at that point.
Mr. Murphy stepped in when my engine died when I tried to gas it to escape the BG's.
As if that wasn't enough, Mr. Murphy gave me a shove by having the bullet misfeed and lock the slide open, rendering the handgun useless....Now i know about tap, rack , and shoot! Didn't then.

Point of all of this is, Mr. Murphy or Mr. O'Toole is always going to be around to make things worse...the question to you is are you well prepared, clear minded enough to be adaptable, and determined enough to win despite all the interference?

Only you can answer that.