The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1
silvercorvette

John Carpenter Presents Vampires: Los Muertos S&W pump

About 30 minutes into the movie a guy pulls out a pump shotgun to shoot a vampire attacking Jon Bon Jovi. Jon asks about the gun, the guy says Smith and Wesson 12 gauge. The movie was made in 2002 and I don't think S&W ever made a 12 gauge pump prior to 2002. I do happen to own a Japanese 12 gauge semi auto with the S&W name on it but does anyone know if they made pumps prior to 2002?
Old November 27, 2010, 12:30 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I owned a S&W pump 12ga ex-cop gun prior to 2002 and the model was already discontinued so I couldn't find a new barrel...
Brent
Old November 27, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
silvercorvette

I am not sure of the year but i bought a used S&W semi auto about 8 years ago so I am not sure of the year it was made. I wasn't not aware that they made pumps. By the way I am assuming the pump was also made in japan with a S&W name on it.

Thanks for the info
Old November 27, 2010, 01:07 PM   #4
B. Lahey

S&W put their name on a number of pumps going back at least to the 70s. They varied in quality, but at least one of the models was ok.
Old November 27, 2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

S&W sold the ill-fated Model 916, which was simply the old Noble shotgun made by or for S&W, it's not clear which.
It was so bad, it was a disaster for S&W and at one point, they even discussed buying the guns back to protect their reputation.

The second pump gun they sold was the Model 3000.
This was a high quality "clone" of the Remington 870, made by Howa in Japan.
After S&W dropped it, the gun was sold by Mossberg for about one year, also as the Model 3000, and briefly under Howa's own name.

The Model 3000 was a very good gun, but it just didn't have anything to offer over the Remington 870.
The 916 and later 3000 were sold in the 1970's and 80's.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:13 PM   #6
silvercorvette

Quote:
Dfariswheel
Thanks.

I bought a Semi auto S&W model 1000 super 12 a few years (8 maybe 10) back, I don't remember the price but I bought it because it didn't cost to much and you don't see many S&W shotguns around. You seem to know a lot about S&W shotguns but I almost hesitate to ask because I am happy with the gun and would hate to hear it turns out to be a clunker. If you would like to see pictures I'll post some pictures when I get a chance. I am happy with but now you have me curious as to if there are any issues with the gun
Old November 28, 2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Like the Model 3000, the 1000 was made by Howa and also sold by Mossberg for a year or so after S&W dropped it.

The 1000 is not really a "clone" of the Remington 1100 like the 3000 is a clone of the Remington 870.
It's a very good grade shotgun. The only "problem" is that the neoprene washers in the gas system may deteriorate and need to be replaced.
These were very good quality guns, that again, just didn't have enough to offer over the Remington.

This part is from memory, so don't hold me to it:
The Model 1000 has a unique magazine block that blocks the gun to a 2 shot magazine to comply with Federal game laws. This block can be removed, allowing the magazine to hold more shells.
This is part number 39 "Capacity Reducing Pin" on the Gun Parts diagram.

You can buy new "O" rings from Gun Parts and LSG. I've heard some people use automotive "O" rings.

Gun Parts sells parts under both the S&W and Mossberg names:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

http://lsgmfg.com/

There's a Model 1000 manual listed on Steve's pages, but it doesn't seem to be working right now:

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Last edited by Dfariswheel; November 29, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old November 28, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8
silvercorvette

Quote:
Like the Model 3000, the 1000 was made by Howa and also sold by Mossberg for a year or so after S&W dropped it.

The 1000 is not really a "clone" of the Remington 1100 like the 3000 is a clone of the Remington 870.
It's a very good grade shotgun. The only "problem" is that the neoprene washers in the gas system may deteriorate and need to be replaced.
These were very good quality guns, that again, just didn't have enough to offer over the Remington.

This part is from memory, so don't hold me to it:
The Model 1000 has a unique magazine block that blocks the gun to a 2 shot magazine to comply with Federal game laws. This block can be removed, allowing the magazine to hold more shells.
This is part number 39 "Capacity Reducing Pin" on the Gun Parts diagram.

You can buy new "O" rings from Gun Parts and LSG. I've heard some people use automotive "O" rings.

Gun Parts sells parts under both the S&W and Mossberg names:
Thanks I really appreciate the info, I was aware of the issues with the neoprene washers when I got the gun and it shot fine when I got it but I haven't shot it a year before I moved to SC and I have been living here for over 3 years. So it has been collecting dust for about 4 years.

I am going to order some spare rings and replace them when I get a chance.
Old December 15, 2010, 10:27 AM   #9
usa1dss

about a S&W .12 pump, i own one

THE ONE I OWN has STAMPED ON IT, NOT 916, BUT.....
916A. was this the second shot at a better shotgun after the really bad one or what? does anyone know? please email me if you know. besides posting answer here.
and for all that may be wondering, it does have on it "MADE IN U.S.A." now if thats on it no matter if it was made else where, i do not know!
and does it have any value, it is worth anything, it is a S&W after all, aint it? i have never had any problems with it, even have loaded 3in. MAGS, never a problem. it only load five i think, it has been a few years that i have used it.
[[email protected]], thank you.
Old December 15, 2010, 12:27 PM   #10
silvercorvette

The only reason I bought my S&W semi shotgun was that I own a lot of S&W handguns and thought it would be nice to add a S&W shotgun even if it was made in Japan.

As far as value if you enjoy shooting it or owning it just for the novelty of owning a S&W shotgun than it has a value to you.

The way I see it I don't care what the value of a gun is unless I am looking to sell it or I am buying it and want to be sure I am not overpaying.

Any pump shotgun in working condition is worth at least $200 or more
Old December 15, 2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I own a Smith & Wesson model 3000 police cruiser pump gun that I purchased used in 1994.

I'm not exactly sure when it was made, but I'm certain that the company was first importing those guns from Japan sometime in the 1970s, which jibes with what other people here remember.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 15, 2010, 04:21 PM   #12
usa1dss

i thought it was funny and a tad, showed my age, when i first read about how some didnt think there were even S&W .12GA before 2002 even....lol and thing is i had owned that SHOTGUN and owned it since the 70's, dont remember the year now. didnt have to do much back then to buy it, have the money and buy it like any thing else you would buy, EX:suitcase,shirt,pants.....etc. how things have changed?
thank you for the "any working shotgun is worth $200", that helps alot, from some what others were saying, this was one that just should be put under the trash pile, oh heck. it has always worked for me with no problem. I have used it with all types of ammo, 2oz. slugs, 3inch MAGS/SS. again showing my age, i remember off the street one could buy what they usta call, SAT. night specials. those were .38cal revolver, I think, not very good and word was they were not the best quality by far.
thank you again for the input you have given me!
Old December 15, 2010, 04:41 PM   #13
Icopy1

Please tell me that the vampire bit Bon Jovi.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:51 AM   #14
silvercorvette

Quote:
hank you for the "any working shotgun is worth $200", that helps alot,
I didn't mean that as a slam against your gun. Any gun is worth the value you place on it.

They gun in the picture below wasn't worth much, about 10 or 15 years ago I doubt if I could have sold it for $200. Revolvers are getting popular again so it may be worth more but I would not sell that gun for $5,000 because I wore that gun at my side for 20 years as a cop and it has earned it's place in my safe.

My point was that it does not matter what value other people place on your gun, all that matter is how much it is worth to you and it sounds to me that your S&W is special to you.

Old December 16, 2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Dfariswheel

The S&W 916 was known as both the 916 and the 916-A. Same gun.
There was also a 916-T which allowed use of interchangeable barrels.

Value of a 916 depends on actual condition. One in about 90% original condition would be worth around $130.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:37 PM   #16
silvercorvette

Quote:
Value of a 916 depends on actual condition. One in about 90% original condition would be worth around $130.
That is the problem with defining value. The market value may be $130 but if he is happy with the gun it is probably worth double or triple that to him. If he sold it and needed to replace it with a new gun replacement cost would set him back a lot more than what he can sell the old one for. In my case I have some guns worth $50 or less but the sentimental value is priceless
Old December 17, 2010, 01:13 PM   #17
usa1dss

sorry, i was misunderstood

silvercorvette,
naw ...lol sorry, i really meant, thank you. it gave me a much better idea of what i had, and go from there. sorry it came off as i meant it in a bad way, i didnt. it was a good comment.
oooppppsssss. me bad!
there are loads of people that fear what they say, cause some may take it the wrong way, i say what i mean, and mean what i say, sort of like u. heck with the rest
thank you again, and i do mean that....
P.S. i took the items to a pawn shop and they were sold, one being the s&w .12ga shotgun.
Old December 18, 2010, 10:10 AM   #18
silvercorvette

Heck I vowed to not buy another gun for a few months to curb my spending but if I knew you were going to let it go cheap I would have bought it, I never met a gun I didn't want to buy.
Old December 18, 2010, 01:27 PM   #19
bigghoss

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Vampires:_Los_Muertos

smith and wesson 916A