The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 21, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Y'all see the sale at Cabela's?

119.99 for an 1851 Colt in .44 (Brass frame). Free shipping over $99.00. Some of their pistols have a free presentation case with them. I think I say the G and G down to 139.00.

Make a great Christmas gift for the wife.

Tnx,
Old November 22, 2009, 01:45 AM   #2
okiefarmer

Doc,

I have always shied away from the brass "ruby in a goat's ass) frame pistols for strength issue, pretty much from advice on here. I am looking for a '49 Pocket or a sherif model to fit a shorter holster I found. Yeah, found a holster, now I have to buy a pistol to fill it.

That said, there is a sheriff model on an auction house right now that I might be interested in. It is nickel plated, silver anyway. I have heard somewhere that most nickel jobs are over brass frames. How can one tell? Oft times the seller doesn't know.

Yeah, this'll be 6 if'n I can get it.
Old November 22, 2009, 02:27 AM   #3
FrontierGander

they can keep those 1851 colts. They sent me 3 replacements after the first one came apart in my hand. Didnt explode mind you, some pins that hold the cylinder shaft broke and so the barrel/cylinder all blew off after i fired it
Old November 22, 2009, 11:17 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I am looking for a '49 Pocket or a sherif model to fit a shorter holster I found. Yeah, found a holster, now I have to buy a pistol to fill it.
I've done that

Quote:
I have heard somewhere that most nickel jobs are over brass frames. How can one tell?
Magnet test.

Don't let the brass frame scare you off. You just need to be aware of the limitations and reduce the powder charge. As you learn more about historically correct cap and ball revolvers you well find that the CSA made several 51 Colt clones with brass frames, plus the Spiller and Burr.

The High Standard series of CSA revolvers has become very collectible with prices well above book for unfired cased specimens. These brass frame revolvers have gone up well over 400% from the MSRP. One of the better investments you could have made in C&B revolvers. Possibly only out done by some of the more rare 2nd gen Colts.

Old November 22, 2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Delmar

...and the 1860 Army Revolver .44, the 1858 New Army .44, and the 1858 New Army Police .36 have been on sale for $189.99 since early September!
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=72754

Me thinks those guys know how to throw a party!
Old November 22, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Delmar

Cabela's sale question?

For those of you who have been around longer, does Cabela's tend to run sales on different pistols, if you wait around long enough, or do the same models tend to go on sale, at different times?
Old November 22, 2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

Seems as though the rotate

Last good sale was on a steel frame Remington. I think I remember it being 189 for CCH fram .44 1858. Those of you with better memory, am I right about that price?

I think I remember a couple folks on the forum who bought one.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:22 PM   #8
toolslinger

Yeah well that figures. They sent me a $30.00 coupon last week. I agonized over getting another on sale '60 Army but I ended up springing for a Sherriff's model. If I had waited for the free shipping it may have been cheaper. I actually wanted a '51 Navy but I am afraid of not being able to get .380 balls.
Old November 23, 2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Hey Tool,

Get you a mold and cast your own.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:12 PM   #10
toolslinger

Yep Doc that is definitely in my future plans. I am a road warrior and stay in motels better than 3/4 of the year. I am also moving my residence pretty quick so casting stuff will have to wait for next spring....or the following spring.
Old November 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Doc Hoy

Tool,

Good point. It takes a little undisturbed space.
Old November 24, 2009, 02:38 PM   #12
tpelle

Hey toolslinger,

I suppose, if you spend that much time on work travel, that you've signed up for all of the "Rewards" programs? My company issued an American Express card to use while I travel, and they pay the annual fee for the American Express Rewards, too. I just converted a bunch of those points to American Express gift cards that just bought my newest pistol!
Old November 24, 2009, 02:51 PM   #13
toolslinger

This will not , of course, keep me from snagging a .44 cal '51 if I find a good price on a steel frame
But then I also desperately need a Walker to go with my 3rd model Dragoon.

Who knows what I will be able to get past my lovely and intelligent keeper of the books first.
Old November 24, 2009, 03:23 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Does anyone have one of the 1860 Army Model from Cabelas? I believe that they are a Pietta and are on sale right now. If you have one or have experience with one from Cabelas, could you report as to whether you were satisfied with it or not? If you've had any problems with it? I had a '60 Army from Dixie Gun Works a number of years ago - it was a nice piece with a fluted cylinder and like a fool, I sold it to a friend that was looking for one for reenacting. Thanks for any info!
Old November 24, 2009, 07:31 PM   #15
toolslinger

'60 Army

I was worried about the Pietta stuff after reading many horror stories. Don't worry. I am sure that it is still buyer beware but I ordered the 1860 Army and the 1858 Remington AND the 1860 Army Sherrif's model all within the last 2 months and Have nothing but good things to say about the fit and finish.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Doc Hoy

Yup!

I bought the Griswold Gunnison and I like it.
Old November 24, 2009, 11:48 PM   #17
MontanaS

I've got .36 caliber Navy Arms Navy brass frame with the round barrel. I purchased it twenty years ago as a kit for around $70. I have put hundred's of rounds through it and have had no frame problems whatsoever. At fifteen yards it still gives me consistent 2" groups.
Old November 25, 2009, 12:20 AM   #18
ilbob

I wish they could ship it to me in Illinois.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old November 25, 2009, 04:21 AM   #19
Model-P

Quote:
Does anyone have one of the 1860 Army Model from Cabelas? I believe that they are a Pietta and are on sale right now. If you have one or have experience with one from Cabelas, could you report as to whether you were satisfied with it or not? If you've had any problems with it?
I am happy with mine. However, there are some things that I improved on mine, but still I was satisfied with it on the whole as received from Cabella's.

The fit and finish are very nice, as is the overall quality. Here are the improvements I felt I needed to make once I got mine:

Sharp edges and corners- I beveled the sharp corners and edges of the stock where it meets the frame, and buffed the sharp edges of the trigger guard loop. I still need to hit the sharp edges at the rear of the recoil shield along the hammer slot.

Bolt roughness- I polished the ramp on the bolt cam (on the hammer), and the corresponding surface on the bolt, since I could feel quite a bit of roughness when I lowered the hammer.

Bolt timing- The bolt was dropping too late, peening the leading edge of the bolt slot when it dropped. I reshaped the bolt tine to get the bolt to drop in the lead. Now the three clicks are evenly spaced- half cock/bolt drop/bolt and sear engagement.

Loading lever latch- It was a bit hard to latch at first, so I polished the mating ramp surfaces so I could push the loading lever up to latch, as it should be.

Point of aim/impact adjustment- As received, the gun was shooting about nine inches high at 50 yards, so I removed .052" from the tip of the hammer (lowering the rear sight plane) and re-deepened the sighting "V". Shoots great now! And, I found out that the steel used is nice and hard. I ruined my file finding that out.

For the price, a little fine tuning is not so hard to swallow. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I would like to get an 1858 someday soon, since the one I have now is stainless and I always wanted to have a blue steel version like the originals.

Old November 25, 2009, 06:38 AM   #20
Doc Hoy

Great!

Model P,

What a great post! Interesting. Informative.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:48 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

Thanks toolslinger - I bought one of Cabela's .36 Remington Police (Navy) models that is a Pieta and am really pleased with it. The fit and finish are great with the exception of the grips which I understand, can sometimes be a problem. No big deal though as that is easily fixed.

Model-P - thanks so much for the great information you provided on the things you did to your '60 Army. The pistol looks great! I have a feeling that I will be calling Cabela's Friday to order one. I haven't shot .44 in years since I got rid of the '60 Army I had from Dixie Gun Works (a foolish thing on my part to have sole it). Have been shooting .36 but maybe it is time to step up and play with the big boys. Thanks again for everyone's input - it is greatly appreciated!
Old November 30, 2009, 02:36 AM   #22
Model-P

Thanks for the thanks

I just got back from a family Thanksgiving trip, and while driving remembered that I forgot to mention one other thing.

The trigger does have quite a bit of creep. Usually, I would drill a hole under the full-cock hammer notch, press fit a pin and file it to take up the creep. Well, I tried that. Did I mention the steel is HARD?! Couldn't drill it, so one of these days I will silver solder a piece of .020" shim stock onto the hammer face to accomplish the same thing.

Please keep us informed about your new acquisition.
Old November 30, 2009, 04:55 PM   #23
OLDPUPPYMAX

Uberti might be a better choice.

Cabelas offers some pretty good sales but for the price difference I think I'd stick with the Uberti. An 1851 Navy, 7 1/2" barrel, 36 cal. cap & ball is $275 from the Possible Shop site. I own a Uberti .45 New Army and am very pleased with it. An extra $80 dollars gets you a darned nice pistol.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Sabot

I'm gonna get the 1851 Navy for $119.99, this is too good of a deal to pass by. I don't care if the brass frame isn't as strong, just won't load it so hot.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:03 PM   #25
Sabot

I ordered the gun and even got a free presentation case. They were out of the large cases which I wanted for my Uberti Walker, so I got the small case, still a good deal.