The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Mobilebrian

Mounting a gun in the console of your car/truck

I need to do something. Right now I've got an M&P 9c which spends most of its time floating around in the console in a paddle holster. Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 3, 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Haz251

I'm about to get a Safariland QLS system for mounting mine in the car. Blackhawk makes a system just like it. Called S.T.R.I.K.E. I think.
Old May 3, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
KenL

Get a nylon holster with a retention strap. Cut a piece of thick plastic or thin sheet metal about 6" long and just wide enough to fit in the belt slot. Drill holes thru the ends of the plastic or sheet metal, slip that piece into the belt slot of the holster and use a couple of screws to mount it to the inside of the console where it's easy to access.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:58 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Older post...

The same subject came up a few weeks ago. The Kingston model rig from DeSantis fits around the front seat.
Custom leather shops put out holsters for RVs vans etc but the wait time & price may be a problem.

ClydeFrog
Old May 6, 2013, 03:11 AM   #5
wstein

I bought a universal holster from maxpedition and Velcro mounted to the inside of my console.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...STER-60p48.htm

It is easy to adjust to any gun I want carry in my truck, and with it being Velcro mounted, easy to remove without marking up the console.

Just make sure you get the heavy duty Velcro from a hobby/crafts store. It is very sticky and will hold better to your console.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old May 15, 2013, 12:44 AM   #6
okc3po

I'd also look at a small portable safe if you have to leave it in the truck at times. I got a biometric that has a cable that can wrap around the car seat that works well and is easy in and out. 100 bucks on amazon.
Old May 15, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Yung.gunr

I'm not a fan of leaving a gun in the car/truck. When I do have to it is either locked up in my cabled lock box or run a cable lock through the chamber, grip and then another cable lock locking that cable lock to the frame of the seat.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #8
RamItOne

Not me
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...gun-mount.html

Mine
Have a small black washcloth resting on top.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old May 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
1DrnkMxR

The middle console in my car is pretty deep so I bought 1 sheet of .08 kydex and got a cheap heat gun and made a imprint of one side of of my gun,trimmed it and screwed in into the inside of the console. Works well.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #10
myusername

"Ramit" - that solution wouldn't work for me. Where would I put my beer?

The NRA store has or had a thing that strapped to the dash below the wheel to hold a pistol.

I haven't really considered the use of a console gun. I wear my backup in a cross draw. If ZI had to shoot sitting down I'd pull that gun, instead of my primary.
Old May 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #11
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername
The NRA store has or had a thing that strapped to the dash below the wheel to hold a pistol.
I believe this is what you're referring to

Old May 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
csmsss

Be careful - some states (like Texas) have concealment requirements (in TX's case, with or without a CHL) that require your pistol to be in a latched compartment or container like your glovebox or console. In such states you couldn't legally strap it into some of the locations I see above.
Old May 22, 2013, 04:04 PM   #13
RamItOne

^^^
IIRC Florida just requires it not to be in plain sight if unsecured.

Old May 22, 2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Rembrandt

Old May 22, 2013, 08:26 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

How do you like your Boberg?

For me in MY car, being a LH person, the map pocket on the door panel works well - no one can see it and it stays put in its holster
Old May 22, 2013, 09:02 PM   #16
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Be careful - some states (like Texas) have concealment requirements (in TX's case, with or without a CHL) that require your pistol to be in a latched compartment or container like your glovebox or console. In such states you couldn't legally strap it into some of the locations I see above.
Texas has no such requirement. They DO have the requirement it has to be concealed in the vehicle but not latched to anything.

Deaf
Old May 22, 2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Rob228

My XDm is my "car gun". I took a Safari Land 568 holster, wrapped the outside in skateboard grip tape and wedged it (Very tight fit) between my seat and the console, the griptape keeps it from moving anywhere. It may get thrown during a crash, but it keeps the pistol secure while driving in a very easy to draw position. The only downside is when my wife takes my car instead of hers, she moves the seat and the griptape scratches the heck out of the console.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
whip1

Ramit,
If your in an accident, what would happen to your gun not being retained? Is it a good idea to have a loaded gun bouncing around a car in an accident?
Old May 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
RamItOne

It would probably fly around. Am I concerned, not really.

Old May 26, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
FM12

My truck gun fits snugly between the drivers seat and the console. Works for me anyway. Your mileage may vary.
Old May 26, 2013, 09:47 PM   #21
Jkady

Generally don't remove my gun while in the car, but when I feel the need the uncle mike's holster that I concealed carry with clips neatly to the opening of the ash tray in my Mustang's console. I may look into doing something like the titantalk link above though since I do have an SERPA holster I don't carry with (Neat idea but a dreadfully clunky way to carry).
Old May 27, 2013, 07:50 AM   #22
whip1

That seems a bit irresponsible, but who am I too judge?
Old May 27, 2013, 06:55 PM   #23
SgtLumpy

I'm not too hip to the idea of mounting a holster in my vehicle. I want the gun on my person. But mine's not the only valid viewpoint, of course.

My pistol(s) will come out of my OWB holster(s) just fine while I'm driving my van. But if I had a car that wasn't so "gun ergonomic", I think I'd rather wear TWO holsters. Carry in the normal holster when out of the car, then in the cross draw/shoulder/chest whatever holster when in the car.

Car crash, carjacking, forgetfulness...all good reasons to think pretty hard about attaching the gun to the car and not the human.

Consider - If you have your gun in a holster mounted to the car, then you arrive and park and get out of your vehicle, what kind of movements are necessary to get the pistol into your human mounted holster? Will you find yourself OUT of the car, reaching in, grabbing gun, likely displaying your gun AND it's concealed places to the public, and then securing it on your belt? Even if you CAN holster it while seated in the car, I'm bettin' that more than once you'll forget and have to reach in, pull out, display etc.

Doesn't seem particularly safe, that scenario.

Sgt Lumpy
Old May 29, 2013, 09:08 PM   #24
RamItOne

Sgt.Lumpy- I believe most people on this forum have multiple pistols, I keep my EDC on me, the Sig in the cupholder, the cupholder is a much quicker draw than any position on my body. If someone has a quick draw set up on their person that they believe is a faster pull I would be interested in hearing about it.

As for whip1's concern on an accident, the gun won't be the only debris flying around.

Old May 30, 2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

before I responded to this thread, I spent a good 15 minutes searching for the pics with no luck. I had a RH holster screwed in with 3 screws in my Mustang GT. It was on the passenger side of the center console, next to the shifter. It was back when I worked in Liberty City. In a good blackhawk holster. It was for the SIG's I have. The P220 and P226. Whichever I was carrying at the time.

It's relatively easy to do. I'd throw a beanie over it when the gun wasn't there. I have dark tints. So you can't see into my car either.