The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1
Rscolorado

Introduction and Question

New member here.....just wanted to say hello and that I have learned a lot reading through posts here. Great information.
Do some of you have much knowledge of the H & R Sportsman 999(22 lr)? I received it from my grandfather along with most of his old fishing gear. The revolver is in beautiful condition.....no rust, finish is great, and really has not been shot much at all. The serial number prefix is AD.
One local gun shop here (Colo Springs) said they would expect a value of $375-425. Well since hearing that I'm not even sure I want to shoot it! Is this gun more of a collector to be locked up somewhere or can I use it to shoot? I have only a 20 gauge shotgun that I keep for HD but love the idea of having a revolver as well. But I want one that can be used a lot for practice.
Am I crazy to take this out to "play" or am I better off selling to get something more practical? I appreciate hearing from anybody with knowledge of these revolvers.
Thanks so much.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
DaleA

Now days a $400 .22 isn’t too much of a big deal. Check out the price of Ruger Bearcat or if you want to check out the gold standard of .22 revolvers a S&W 617.

Go ahead and shoot it. The .22 isn’t going to beat the gun up so if you decide to sell it later you haven’t decreased its value by much of anything. Just take care of it as far as not letting it rust and you’ll do fine.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

THEIR value,and what they would actually give you or it would actually sell for are all different animals

Shoot it and remember your grandfather
Old February 3, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
RJay

Prefix AD was used in 1967, I believe the gun shop was a wee bit high in their estimate., by as much as 200 dollars. Go and shoot it, that is what is was made for, it is a sturdy dependable firearm and designed to be used. It is not a collectors item per say and should be used.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Rscolorado

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I will enjoy shooting it and caring for it. Much appreciated.