The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
zxcvbob

My best haul ever

Today was cleanup day at the range where I shoot. The shooting range was closed and some people repaired target hangers, other picked up trash, or painted. I shoveled out the bullet trap. Got 5 assorted buckets of lead (very conservative estimate, 700 pounds, but it's probably more than that.) Another guy took about 100#, and we ran out of buckets at that point -- there's about 100# left in a pile in the front corner for whoever wants it (I may grab it next time I shoot indoors there.) Very few bullet jackets, this is mostly all lead with bits of rubber and paper mixed in.

They thanked me for cleaning up and hauling it away.

All my clothes are in the washer right now, including the leather shoes. I'm glad I wore a dust mask because it was filthy. Now I'm trying to figure out how to unload the truck... I don't think I can lift the 5 gallon bucket out. The others are smaller, 3 cat litter buckets and a 2-gallon pail.
Old April 25, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

A good problem to have.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 27, 2011, 10:15 AM   #3
maillemaker

What does your bullet trap look like? At our range it is just a big dirt hill for a backstop.

Steve
Old April 27, 2011, 11:01 AM   #4
zxcvbob

Quote:
What does your bullet trap look like? At our range it is just a big dirt hill for a backstop.
That's what the outdoor backstop is. But there's also a small indoor range in the clubhouse basement. The trap has a half wall made out of heavy timbers in front, with metal target hangers a couple of feet behind that. Then heavy rubber "cow mats" hanging down that to stop some of the bullet splatter, and lastly a steel armor plate (from the old police range) a couple of feet behind that and tilted down at a 45 degree angle.

They used to have sand in the bottom, but that disappeared a few years ago when they cleaned it.

The lead piles up mostly at the bottom of steel plate and just needs to be pulled forward and shoveled out occasionally. I was amazed at how much lead there was; it didn't look like that much, but most of it was in the back where you don't see it. I don't know it if was cleaned last year or not.

Tags
free lead