The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 3, 2001, 02:39 AM   #1
sck

Is the barrel on a Ballistar Molina (sp?) interchangeable with a standard 1911 type barrel? Also what about the guide rod; is it the same as well? Thanks
Old January 3, 2001, 07:57 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

SCK, those parts are interchangeable with the 1911. George
Old January 3, 2001, 12:17 PM   #3
Hard Ball

sck=
A friend of mine gas done it. In his case at least the barrel was drop in and the pistol shoots better than with the original barrel.
Old January 4, 2001, 03:21 PM   #4
zot

when I replaced the barrel in one Ballister the original link was real short compared to any link I had in stock, it
was the parkerized model, so switched link from old barrel to new, and pistol shot great, my barrel chamber on original
was blown larger? shells came out way expanded, so needed a new barrel.you can use 1911 bushing,firing pin, guide rods,
maybe a few internals, but the slide stop is different,wish
they would fit, mine are beat to death.
Old January 5, 2001, 03:16 AM   #5
sck

Thanks everyone! I had the same experience as Zot, in that the brass was blown out. But this brings up another question you folks may be able to answer. It did not appear that the brass was expanded on every round just on some. Among those that were expanded, some were far more expanded than others. Beyond the obvious question of whether this was just my imagination or really possible to have the same chamber produce different case dimension, the main question pertains to why the chamber is oversize in the first place? Is is just wear? Oversized to accomadate dirty ammunition? Other? Sure would appreciate an answer. Thank you again. Steve
Old January 5, 2001, 04:21 PM   #6
zot

are they made oversized? own 3 Ballisters, all had the same blown out chambers, I mean the brass allmost had splits in the sides just above web,threw this brass away,bought 3 new barrels and now they fire like any well made .45acp.would
steel cases from WW2 been a factor in enlarged chamber?no
rust in barrels, and had plenty of groove depth,why would the chambers in ALL be enlarged????