The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 1, 2010, 03:08 AM   #26
kadima

Talking about a different country and different armed forces here, i.e. Italy.

I had for some reasons a CCW, but when entering the barracks I had to surrender the weapon at the guard (in the end we agreed to the armoury, just on the next building).

The rationale was that I was carrying for my own defense, but in a barracks I was supposed to be defended enough by the guards.

All the other military who had a CCW or had a weapon permit related to sport or hunting left their personal weapons at the armoury when entering the barracks.

Good thing was that the armourer was a real gun nut and did manteinance, tuning and general pampering of our personal shooting irons even better than he did with the issued weapons.....

K.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:11 AM   #27
Marcach

The problem here is the federal government and all it's ridiculous inconsistancies. Why can I fly on a comercial flight into Camp Lejeune from Iraq armed with an M249 Squad Automatic Weapon but I have to give up my Leatherman multi tool due to FAA regulations... inconsitency here? How about on base; Go to the armory and check out a M2 .50 cal machine gun or even a 203 grenade launcher but God forbid you carry your own 1960s .30spl.

Really the only reason you can carry a personal weapon on base is to do criminal harm, so don't bring a gun on base if you intend to follow the law.
Old July 1, 2010, 03:15 PM   #28
oneeyeross

The military is ruled by the Uniformed Code, not by other federal or state laws. If the local commander says "It's okay" then it would be fine (although I can't imagine one saying it and not getting relieved)....

But that's just my $0.02.
Old July 2, 2010, 12:24 AM   #29
raimius

What was that DoD-wide policy, released in the 1990s?
Didn't that restrict the base commander's options somewhat (eliminating some ability to authorize widespread CCW, if I remember correctly.)
Old July 2, 2010, 12:34 AM   #30
ScottRiqui

I found an Army-specific regulation from 1993, and a DoD-wide directive from 2001 that prohibit personnel from carrying on base except in the performance of their duties.

As such, local commanders pretty much have their hands tied on the matter (typically, local commanders can institute policies that are more restrictive than overarching service guidance, but not less restrictive.