The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Lurky BoDean

First time pistol and a Glock question

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum as y'all can tell. I just turned 21, and I can finally purchase my first, which I've been dreaming up since I was about 16. I'm not really looking into concealed carry, but I'm really wanting a pistol as more or less a plinking gun; however, I am getting my CC license to be on the safe side and for if I change my mind.

Now, I've done research on different semis and revolvers in the last 6 months, and I narrowed it down to Glock, and yes, I've went to shops and held different pistols; however, I can't rent and shoot any in my area. I found a brand new, or a display model that has had less(if that) than a magazine ran through it, Glock G19 Gen 4 with 3 mags instead of 2 (I was informed that's a blue label pistol, which is supposed to be for law enforcement. Any truth to this?). I can get it for $495.05 out the door with taxes and all from a Glock dealer in our town. Is this a good deal, and also, can y'all verify such thing as a blue and red label?

Thanks and God bless,
LB
Old January 23, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Nitesites

Quote:
I can get it for $495.05 out the door with taxes and all
As far as new, if new, this is a great deal on a Gen 4. I can't find them locally for less than $550. I don't know anything about "blue" or "red" label Glocks.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
hogwiley

All gen 4 glocks come with 3 mags. Doesnt sound like much of a deal to me, around these parts you can get a brand new gen 4 glock for around 560, and I think thats pretty much the average everywhere. Gen 3 is maybe 30 bucks cheaper.

I generally dont believe it when people say it only had a few mags shot through it, although that isnt really the issue, as even if it had 400 shot it is still pretty much like new. The problem is that you dont know the exact story of this gun. Did someone buy it, have problems or malfunctions with it and the shop bought or traded it back? If so it may be something that could be resolved with a new recoil spring or a quick trip to glock, but why go through the potential trouble just to save yourself 50 bucks?
Old January 23, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Fargazer

"Blue label" refers to packaging for law enforcement. For the third generation Glocks, regular packaging had 2 magazines, while the blue label packages had three.

I recently purchased a Glock 17 Gen4, and my LGS told me that all the fourth generation packages, with the possible exception of the subcompacts, have 3 magazines - both regular and blue label.

Red label I've never heard of, but this thread at Glock Talk might help.

I would suggest looking at the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation:
  • It's relatively inexpensive,
  • it gives you some shooting events to participate in that accommodate beginners well,
  • and after a year's membership you get a coupon giving you a significant discount on a blue label Glock firearm package.
    • Once you've been in a year, they send you a coupon every year - you can purchase a Glock on the discount program once every calendar year
Old January 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Lurky BoDean

From what I was told, they take these guns to police convention things (I can't remember exactly what he called them), and most of them are displayed only and not fired. It had no sign of wear anywhere on the pistol, and it still had the copper colored lube, which I was told thats the factory lube. We couldn't smell gun powder either on the pistol. The box had everything in it that any new Glock comes with.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
C0untZer0

You might be getting old extractor/RSA

Glock will fix everything for you, but you may get ponked in the head with ejected brass until the latest parts are in there...
Old January 23, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Lurky BoDean

Thanks for the heads up Fargazer! I'll for sure look into that because this shop only sells new Glocks to LEOs, Military or EMTs.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Nitesites

*Heads-up...Just bought a Gen 4 G26 sub and mine included 3 mags.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
hogwiley

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up Fargazer! I'll for sure look into that because this shop only sells new Glocks to LEOs, Military or EMTs.
Why would they only sell glocks to EMTs as well as police and military? Do EMTs get a glock LE discount? If so I never realized this. Is this a nationwide glock thing or just a gun store discount?

Also, I would check around to other gun stores so see what they are selling a gen 4 glock for. You may find it lower than 550. Ultimately its up to you if 50 bucks is worth getting a NIB pistol, as someone else mentioned Glock has been tinkering around with different components to the gen 4 19s because of extraction issues, so you might not be getting the latest and greatest recoil spring or ejector or whatever.

Last edited by hogwiley; January 23, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old January 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Lurky BoDean

Hogwiley, I'm not sure. That's what the dealer told me. He's a firefighter as well, and the discount applies to him too. That's something you could check into.
Old January 23, 2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Muad' Dib

Quote:
All gen 4 glocks come with 3 mags. Doesnt sound like much of a deal to me, around these parts you can get a brand new gen 4 glock for around 560, and I think thats pretty much the average everywhere. Gen 3 is maybe 30 bucks cheaper
You wouldn't qualify saving $65.00 as much of a deal? I sure would! OP, if the Glock is as you say, and indeed it's tagged at just $495.00, jump on it immediately...
Old January 23, 2012, 05:10 PM   #12
GlockedNLoded32

Quote:
Quote:
hogwiley
Why would they only sell glocks to EMTs as well as police and military? Do EMTs get a glock LE discount? If so I never realized this. Is this a nationwide glock thing or just a gun store discount?
Glock Restrictions
Attached Images
File Type: gif GLOCK-Restrictions.gif (12.1 KB, 29 views)
GLOCK 32 .357 SIG With Hogue Grip,Trijicon Ghost Ring Night Sight, 3.5 Ghost trigger, Weatherby Vanguard .308 1:12 twist with Blackhawk Bipod and a Barska 6x24x60 IR SWAT SCOPE. - 168 Hornady AMAX loaded at 46 gr
Stoeger M2000 Max 4 SA 12 gauge
Old January 23, 2012, 05:16 PM   #13
farmerboy

Here in Texas Glock has got their blue label tags, they are also known as the Homeland Security package it's a gen 4, three mags, better recoil spring, changeable back straps , ambidextrous mag release. And they sell for $429.00 new and the Homeland Security are for Leo, prison guards, and coastguards, Firefighters and I believe even volunteer firefighters as well. But still a good deal.
Old January 23, 2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Lurky BoDean

Muad, I'm with you, and I consider $60+ a good amount of savings.

Glocked, thanks for posting that to help all of our local heroes.

Farmerboy, I was told if I was a LEO or anything that qualifies for the discount that I could pick the package up for $430, but I'm not. So, I should typically be paying right around $550+ for this as I take it and researched.
Old January 23, 2012, 05:30 PM   #15
farmerboy

I'd grab it! I own a G22 and love it!
Old January 23, 2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Lurky BoDean

Well, I believe y'all have convinced; however, I'm going to wait to pick it up until Wednesday. I'd rather have my CC permit before leaving because you never know when and if you could get pulled over for something. Another great thing is that they have a few other different models in the same condition, but the 9mm has caught my eye because of the cheaper rounds.
Old January 23, 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
dascottsman

I would pull the trigger on that price if that is the piece you want to buy anyhow. That is a good price, but don't kick yourself too hard if someone beats you to the punch, you maybe could do as well at a gun show getting some folks to compete against each other on price.....

9mm is always nice, and if you do get another model, such has I have the glock23, you can get a lone wolf conversion barrel for $100 to convert it to 9mm from .40s&w for more range time. Just need the conversion barrel and some glock 19 mags.
Old January 23, 2012, 07:03 PM   #18
farmerboy

Maybe at a gun show, we have one a year here but everyone marks their prices up and you can't even find a decent priced gun not to mention the extra $10.00 to $15.00 dollar entry price!
Old January 23, 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
TheNocturnus

Buy it, shoot it, love it! I really enjoy my G22.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #20
TxFlyFish

Buy a new one and save yourself the hassle of changing RSA and/or extractor which glock JUST recently updated
Old January 23, 2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Mrgunsngear

I say buy it. The Gen4 G19 with the new ejector and RSA is an awesome gun---back to Glock Perfection! My G30 was my first ever gun and I still have it and still love it. Your G19 will probably yield similar results. Now all you need is a pitcher and glass so you can start drinking the Kool Aid too brother. Drink up; it's delicious!!!!
Old January 23, 2012, 10:27 PM   #22
Lurky BoDean

So the RSA and extractor that was in the Gen 4s has been updated since?
Old January 23, 2012, 11:47 PM   #23
farmerboy

you call Glock, give them the serial number and they will tell you if that gun has the updated recoil spring or not. If not they will send you the updated one. Only about one percent of them had issues so they wanted all to have the same kind of springs made by the same producer.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:11 AM   #24
chris in va

Just keep in mind two things.

Glocks have an abnormal, unnatural grip angle, and being a new shooter you'll need to practice very good trigger discipline as it has no safety or harder DA pull.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:25 AM   #25
Fargazer

One other nice thing about Glocks - they have vast amounts of 3rd party accessories available. Sights, slides, barrels, magwells, and so on - I'd recommend shooting it stock for a while so you get a baseline, but pretty much you can tweak almost anything.