The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
87mustang

Lee press question

so i got a Lee pro1000 progressive press today for the price of nothing and i got a couple questions..................

by the way i understand now why lee presses and reloading equipment are as inexpensive as they are.

Here's my goal for this press
1. not use it in a progressive manner.
2. i want this press to be able to hold RCBS dies for sizing 220 swift and
22-250 along with a universal decapping die.
3. for #2 to work i need to have Lee make a shell plate for different calibers.
let's assume for now that i can make that happen. or i can probably get one made at a local machine shop.

my reasoning for this is that i mostly load swift and 22-250's and if i can make this Lee press do the sizing and decapping, then i can leave the sizing dies in the lee press and use rock chucker for seating and loading other calibers. basically adding convenience of hardly ever having to set up anything to deprime and size the popular calibers i load.

i do not do enough reloading to justify a progressive loader, but i think i can use this free tool to simplify the process a little.

please let me know what you think

Last edited by 87mustang; March 23, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Dave R

I may be crazy, cuz I don't know that model of press, but I was under the impression that:

1. Lee presses will use any standard dies, including your RCBS 220 Swift and .22-250.

2. Lee makes all the shellholders you need, including those for the Swift and .22-250. You should be able to pick them up anywhere that carries Lee stuff, or online.

So, yeah, you can do what you want, and kudos on the great score of a free progressive press. My guess is that somewhere down the road, when you want to reload 50 or more rounds, you'll want to do the progressive thing. I believe Lee's website has some good videos showing how to set up the progressive features.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:39 PM   #3
CrustyFN

Quote:
please let me know what you think
I think you would have been a lot happier with the Lee classic turret. I have a friend that really like his P1000. Keep it clean and it works a lot better.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
2. i want this press to be able to hold RCBS dies for sizing 220 swift and 22-250 along with a universal decapping die.
My understanding is that there isn't enough room to run anything longer than .223 in the Pro 1000. You want a different press.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 23, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
87mustang

posted by Lee N. Field "My understanding is that there isn't enough room to run anything longer than .223 in the Pro 1000. You want a different press."

I think you are right about nothing longer than 223 but that's for progressive loading, swift brass will easily fit under the dies and i believe that by the way it looks i would be able to adjust them where they need to be. i may be wrong as i have no knowledge or experience in progressive loading.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Jim243

That's what I like, someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about giving an opinion on something they have never seen or used in person. When is this BS going to stop!

Jim

#4 Shell plate will hold your 22-250 as well as 223

Last edited by Jim243; March 23, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:00 PM   #7
87mustang

quote "Lee makes all the shellholders you need, including those for the Swift and .22-250. You should be able to pick them up anywhere that carries Lee stuff, or online."

what i will try to get if i can make all of this work is a shell plate that will have swift and 22-250 notches in the same shellplate, i would have to have this custom made, but i got nothing in this press so a couple bucks wouldn't be a problem.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:07 PM   #8
87mustang

jim,

i am admitting that i have no knowledge of this press, i am simply looking at this press that i got for free and trying to ask questions and get answers to see if i can make this thing function for what i want to do with it. if it's impossible to do what i want to do with it then someone who knows for a fact please tell me so and this thread will be over.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Tacoma

It might work but it's gonna be tight! Thinking back to the days when I ran two of these press's, I'm thinking it's going to be AWFULLY tight under there. I'm thinking that your going to have to remove the case partially seat the bullet then feed the round up into the seating die as you slide the base into the shell plate groove.

You might consider selling the 1000 on TheBay and buying a Lee Classic Turret. You'll likely break even and have a much better press for the kind of reloading you want to do. Much more height, uses common shell holders, better priming and more control of the process.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:58 PM   #10
87mustang

just talked to a tech at Lee and he said that what i want to do is not only extremely easy to do, but it will save time and be more convenient......
Old March 25, 2010, 01:28 PM   #11
HisSoldier

Sounds like Lee is willing to help folks with unusual ideas, that's refreshing.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old March 26, 2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Skewed

I have the Pro1000 and love it. Lee has always been more than helpful with me and they are one of the few companies now a days that places quality over quantity. I have had my Pro1000 since the early nineties and it still operates the same as it did the day I bought it even after many thousands of rounds.

If you decide you do not want it, I would be more than willing to take it off your hands. You just need to keep in mind that there is a right tool for every job, and not withstanding the quality of the pro1000 it is not designed to do everything. But, I am sure Lee makes something that will do the job for you. I love their carbide dies, but for some reason they seem to be only available for pistol calibers.
Old March 26, 2010, 02:24 PM   #13
Hardcase

Quote:
I love their carbide dies, but for some reason they seem to be only available for pistol calibers.
Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread derail

There aren't many (or maybe any) carbide rifle dies out there because it's very difficult and expensive to machine the metal to fit a rifle cartridge's shoulder. You'd have to have a full-length piece of carbide, which would be a little tough to make. And I'm pretty sure that you'd have to use some kind of lubrication because of the mechanics of full length sizing a bottleneck cartridge.

Straight or slightly tapered shells get away with it because it's relatively easy to machine a carbide ring for the die.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:35 AM   #14
87mustang

so i got the shell plates i needed and this press works perfectly for me. i can now "progressively" size 22-250 and 220 swift brass in this press with no problem. i only have a sizing die in the turret in the front position. now all i gotta do is feed it brass and let it collect the brass for me in a container after its been sized.

there's nothing better than getting stuff for free because someone else doesn't think it works!!!!!
Old March 31, 2010, 07:05 AM   #15
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase
There aren't many (or maybe any) carbide rifle dies out there because it's very difficult and expensive to machine the metal to fit a rifle cartridge's shoulder. You'd have to have a full-length piece of carbide, which would be a little tough to make. And I'm pretty sure that you'd have to use some kind of lubrication because of the mechanics of full length sizing a bottleneck cartridge.

They do exist, but they're extremely pricey and you still have to lubricate. The carbide is very scratch-resistant, which makes them good buys for commercial reloaders and other people who actually wear out regular dies.
Matt.25:40