The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 14, 2009, 10:03 PM   #26
Wildalaska

Quote:
Also, there is the whole process and test and payment to get your ccw, so how many of us "unresponsible teens" do you think would actually take time out of our lives to go to the classes and take the exam?
Dude look I dont want to hurt your feelings but until that age of 24 or so, the developing male brain is a work in progress, which accounts for the high levels of problems with males from the ages of say 14-24. ...even the most responsible teen is a potential time bomb.

Its a neurological thing:
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/detail.aspx?id=19620

And yes i recognize the age of 21 is arbitrary

WilddrivesafeyahearAlaska TM
Old July 14, 2009, 10:14 PM   #27
dogrunner

As an interesting aside (and NO I don't recommend this) is that while openly carrying a firearm is generally prohibited in Florida under most circumstances other than for H/F/C etc. Muzzle-loaders are NOT considered firearms unless used in the commission of a criminal act..........A C&B firearm is therefore a weapon......not a firearm.........(see definitions, CH 790) and therefore occupies the same status as those commonly carried sheath knives we see........course, that C&B on your hip would no doubt get you a LOT of attention.......it is legal! CCW'd less a license would be a misdemeanor rather than a 3rd degree felony too!

REPEAT.......I DON'T recommend this.
Old July 15, 2009, 09:44 PM   #28
AdmiralB

The only caveat with Florida is that the gun in question must be a pre 1900 (or 1889 or whatever the specific year is), OR a replica thereof. I can't think of any percussion revolver that would fail that test (technically, an ROA would, but I suspect it looks enough like an original to pass), but it's worth consideration (IANAL, after all).

It's an important distinction - something like, say, a T/C Omega is considered a 'firearm' since it's not an old gun nor a replica.

There is a court decision I recently read regarding this - a Floridian with a felony record (nonviolent, don't recall the exact offense) went hunting with an inline and was arrested...he claimed that it wasn't a gun, the court disagreed because Florida statutes have the above restriction.

He'd checked first with the BATF and they cleared it (Federal law exempts, among other things, any gun that doesn't fire fixed ammo) from a Federal perspective, but he didn't check with state law.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:24 AM   #29
dandydany

I agree with Wildalaska, Gunner and any other your age , should not contemplate carrying , concealed or not , any kind of firearm. It's nothing personnal Gunner, but it is unfortunately true that at your age you gonna have to learn to control your temper and avoid situations where you might loose it. That's the difference with sport shooting that you enjoy. And that's part of growing up.... Dan
Old August 14, 2009, 06:54 PM   #30
dandydany

Hi Gunner, don't go away mad, we love you and have your best interest in mind. I'll put it simple to you, it hurts me to read your post , young men like you should be able to go out about their business without fear and old men like me ( I'm 76 ) should be able to walk out day or night without fear. Actually, at my age what we fear is youngster , 14 to 24 and up. We do get , if possible, a ccw as I'm about to get one. I cannot think of shooting a young man in self defense, it hurts to just think about it,but I will in the proper circomstances. Now you must think about another way of protecting yourself and others . I would start with a good self defense program like Bruce Tegner Jukado. A more simple way to protect yourself, forget about karate...to hard to learn and too dangerous to use, like a gun.Gunner, that's my take , I was 18 too,long ago with the same problems...good luck and take care...Dan
Old August 14, 2009, 08:32 PM   #31
J2.

I would consider some non-lethal self defence weapon until you reach the legal age. I read an article about wasp killer instead of pepper spray, it shoots farther! And blinds temporarily. Cans are kinda big though.
Old August 15, 2009, 12:14 AM   #32
K.A.T.

Here you go.

NO! I was 18 once, I hunted all the time at that age and had guns all around. The last thing I needed at that age was a handgun in my pocket. An 18 year old male is not level headed enough, acts on emotions instead of useing his brain. Can lose his temper in a heartbeat over nothing without thinking it thru.

18 year old in the military is a different story, training involved, disicipline, and these days someone to shoot at. Not someone walking the streets waiting on a situation so he can pull his gun.

You know the areas to stay out of. Try not to get in a situation where a gun is needed, I try to do that every day, and I have a gun with me.