The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 31, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1
sigcurious

Millett TRS 4-16x50 vs SWFA SS 10x42(or 12x42, 16x42)

I've been looking at scopes and these two seem to be the standouts so far. They both seem to give good bang for buck, but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down further. How do they compare in clarity, light transmission etc? I could take or leave the two major differences, illuminated reticle and variable power.

Also, what height(and brand) rings are folks using with these? The safe bet seems to be mediums from the height chart at brownells and the specs I can find. But medium also seems to vary a bit between manufacturers. For both I've looked at the DNZ one piece rings/mount for simplicity, or the millett tac rings and 1 piece base.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Jimro

If you are looking for a tactical optic to put on top of a rifle that needs to be accurate after being drug through the mud...

SWFA 10x gets my vote. Unless the rifle is a 300 Win Mag or larger, then go with the 12x. The 16x doesn't get very good reviews, better to try to find a used IOR 16x.

Any quality rings and base will work, the ones you listed will never give you any trouble as long as you torque them tight with a dab of blue threadlocker.

Jimro
Old January 31, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
ronl

I've used both and I prefer the Super Sniper. The Millet TRS I used was large and rather heavy. It had decent features and clarity was good. The fixed power SS's are easier to use, tracking is very good, clarity was very good and the scope is built like a tank. I prefer the less expensive rear focus to the side focus, but that's just my preference.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
sigcurious

Thanks for the input. After reading more reviews, I decided to go with the SWFA. It seemed to get more consistent reviews. Now it just needs to get here