The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 08:13 AM   #1
chasep255

Ghost Rings vs Bead Sight on a Combat Shotgun

Can't decide weather to get my Mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights or just a bead. The ghost rings seem to be better for long range whereas the bead seems to be faster on acquiring the target.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:13 AM   #2
natman

A properly used Ghost Ring is just as fast as a bead. It has the advantage of providing a reminder to put your head in the right position, which prevents shooting high.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:40 AM   #3
sirsloop

For a combat shotgun I would get ghost rings, but how much combat are you going to be in really? I would opt for a non-unitasker shotgun and get something that you can put interchangeable barrels on. There are some reports of bird barrels that fit on the 590, but I cannot confirm that. Not saying I don't like the 590... its certainly a sweet piece but kinda limited due to the barrels.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

For me,a bead is very slightly faster. A GR/Peep setup is slightly more precise. Take your pick....
Old May 18, 2011, 02:20 PM   #5
chadstrickland

I have shot bead sights on shotguns for 14 years..and im 19 years old..no need to change
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 18, 2011, 03:04 PM   #6
oneounceload

If you are pointing the gun properly, then no sight is necessary as your finger and eyes become the sights. Ask someone who shoots a lot of targets, they will have no conscious memory of using the sight, just their eyes
Old May 18, 2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Skadoosh

Bead is good...but ghost rings help me a LOT when shooting slugs at longer distances.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:04 PM   #8
vitesse9

Bead

Ever tried to shoot clays or flying birds with a ghost ring sight?

With a little practice, you should be able to place slugs inside a man-sized target at 100 yards with a bead. That's kind of all you can expect from a smooth bore.

You really don't gain much with the ghost ring sights and you lose speed and the ability to reliably hit flying/moving targets (the one application where a rifle can't do a shotgun's job).

If you get the bead sight and decide you want more precision, you can always add a rail and a red dot.

Or, you could just use a rifle for applications where you think precision shooting will be necessary . . .

My $.02

Last edited by vitesse9; May 18, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
jackblack73

My 590A1 originally had a bead. I found I had to stay uncomfortably low on the stock or else I would shoot very high. I ended up buying a ghost ring from Mossberg's website and installing it with JB Weld. I wish I would have purchased one with a factory installed ghost ring in the first place.

I also think the ghost ring would be much better in a self defense situation. In a self defense situation you're probably not going to look for the ring anyway, but the large bright front sight is 20 times quicker to find than the bead. You can't even see the bead in low light.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:18 PM   #10
catnphx

I shot with a bead my entire life but my new 590A1 has GRS and they are fabulous ... highly recommend them.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:23 PM   #11
jmortimer

I agree with AIP Tactical:
"Ghost rings can get you killed ( my opinion ). Bead sight or rifle sights and yes the tritium inserts for the rifle sights are worth it on this weapon. If you go with bead then ask me about the tritium bead sight on the 18.5 police barrel. The rifle sights on the P barrels are designed for you so you can transition from the hand gun to the shotgun with the same sighting system and the rear sight is the about the same distance from you eye as the rear sight of you hand gun they are the same type of notched rear sight."
Had a 590 with GRS and got rid of it. The fastest shooters use a bead.
http://aiptactical.com/Build_Your_Weapon.html
Old May 19, 2011, 02:32 AM   #12
natman

Quote:
Ever tried to shoot clays or flying birds with a ghost ring sight?
No question that GRS are a disadvantage when wingshooting.

I don't see how that has anything to do with the OP's question about sights for a combat shotgun though.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:50 AM   #13
Skadoosh

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123261

Post #9
Old May 19, 2011, 10:53 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I choose bead over everything else.

Faster target acquisition and nothing to obscure my view while gun is in mounted position...

Brent
Old May 19, 2011, 03:25 PM   #15
Slopemeno

Try the ghost rings on flying stuff sometime. It works. All you see is the front sight post- prrress. I was surprised how well it worked.
Old May 20, 2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Bubba in c.a.

I do not have any immediate plans to participate in combat, but my HD shotgun has a factory bead with the frivolous add-on of a Hiviz clipon sight.
For shooting a burglar or rapist at 10 feet, for my application it all doesn't matter.
On a rural property with my aging eyes, I might want a ghost ring. I have one on a carbine and at 100 yards it is great. If you want one, you will probably be money ahead to just buy it with the gun.
Old May 20, 2011, 03:00 PM   #17
loose_holster_dan

i'm with those who say no sight is necessary on a combat shotgun. you should be close enough that point and shoot does the job.

that being said, my remington 870 express has the full ati mod with top folding stock, heat shield, and ghost ring package.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 20, 2011, 03:02 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

to be entirely honest, when practicing clearing my house with it at night, the most useful target acquisition tool i had was the flashlight with pressure switch. the light tends to point where your shot is going, and you can turn it on and off quickly with the pressure switch.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 20, 2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Lee Lapin

Like most shotgun stuff, it's a matter of training, experience and personal preference. I like GRs on a working gun, especially if more precise or longer distance slug shots might be required. It's possible to ignore GRs at close range and run the gun every bit as fast as with a bead, but it isn't possible to slow down a little when time permits and be as precise with a bead as with sights at a distance.

jmho, fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Gehrhard

I went from a Ghost Ring (GR) on my short 590-A1. I patterned it and put it thru its paces on a Sunday and ordered a beadsighted barrel the next morning. The GR hampered my ability to get to, and on, target. With the GR I was never confident gun was on target.

Subsequently I compromised and got their 3-Dot sighted barrel -- lol!

Gehr
Old May 21, 2011, 05:36 PM   #21
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Chasep255:

The decision should be based on what the 590 will be used for. For buck shot the bead is best; however, if slug use is you primary ammo Goast rings would be a better choice.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; May 21, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 22, 2011, 12:53 AM   #22
bamaranger

no adjustment

There is no provision for sliding an off center pattern around to get on target fully, or to bring slugs to point of aim if the gun is slightly off, which happens more than one might think.

We had several Win 1200 shotguns that were way off with slugs and essentially useless with same much past 15-20 yds. When we went to Rems w/ rifle sights, it was no problem for an average shot to zero the shotgun and put std Foster slugs on a silhouette target to 100 yds.

One of the perks of a shotgun is various loads. I'd hate to give up the advantages slugs sometimes offer, cause the bead sighted gun can't be brought to point of aim.

If the bead shoots to point of aim, for you, and you can see it, OK. But sights do have their advantages.