The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Ozzieman

Bulge buster kit (no not for my fat stomach)

In the May 2010 NRA American Rifleman magazine I saw an add for an interesting item I would like for my reloading bench.
Its called the Bulge Buster Kit. "This push through die adapter will quickly remove the annoying bulge rings that shell holder constrained dies cant reach from cases that are fired from unsupported chambered guns."

Surprising they dont list 9mm but since they do 380 through 45 Win mag my guess is that the 380 will work for 9???.
For 19$ you get a push through punch which acks like the shell holder, a extension sleeve and a plastic container that mounts on the top to catch all the brass. The only thing else needed is the Lee factory crimp.
Since I shoot a Glock 26 a lot, the buldge from some empty brass is quite large and I would like to clean my brass up better.
HAS any one tried one of these and what are your comments.
Thanks to all.

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/...lgebuster.html
Old April 25, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
vladan

380 won't work for 9mm luger, these two cartridges have different dimensions. 9mm luger is tapered case that is why this woudn't work with it.
P.S.: I think EGW makes undersized resizing dies for 9mm to resize glocked brass
Old April 25, 2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Jim243

I was thinking of doing my 40s with it. I don't own a Glock, but pick up a lot of range brass.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Same thing as the Redding GRX dies.

As noted - it's also only available for straight-wall cases.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Ozzieman

"9mm Lugar is tapered case" I do agree but not after its been fired once and run back through a seizer die. Unless a seizer die for 9mm is tapered?????
Having never worked with 380 until you wrote this I didn't know the difference. Since both used .335 bullets then the case must be the same,, not
I will agree that the out side diameter of a 380 is .373 and 9mm is by factory .394 at the base and .380 at the neck why they don't make one for a 9mm to take the case down to .394 and then you can taper crimp die to give back some of the taper.
Old April 25, 2010, 01:42 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

9mm and .45 ACP actually have rims a hair larger than the case body. As such, you still shouldn't use a push-through die. Doing so would swage the rim and primer pocket down.

Quote:
why they don't make one for a 9mm to take the case down to .394 and then you can taper crimp die to give back some of the taper.
Because, firearms are not supposed to allow cases to bulge, to begin with.
Old April 25, 2010, 02:38 PM   #7
vladan

Quote:
"9mm Lugar is tapered case" I do agree but not after its been fired once and run back through a seizer die. Unless a seizer die for 9mm is tapered?????
Yes, 9mm resizing die is tapered in order to resize the fired case back to its dimensions
Old April 25, 2010, 06:37 PM   #8
jmorris

I built this automated roll sizer using a case pro for 9mm, 40 and 45. It also cleans up the extractor grove.

Old April 25, 2010, 07:15 PM   #9
ZeSpectre

Am I the only one who thinks that bulged brass just belongs in the recycle bin? I think I'd always be concerned about the extra stress that had been placed on that part of the brass.
Old April 26, 2010, 12:46 AM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks that bulged brass just belongs in the recycle bin?
I refer you to my comment above:

Quote:
...firearms are not supposed to allow cases to bulge, to begin with.
Old April 26, 2010, 09:06 AM   #11
jmorris

All of the brass that I reload that comes out of our SMG's like a roll size to case gauge 100% and they last for many reloads. Brass is trash when it splits, not before.
Old July 26, 2010, 10:21 PM   #12
ryanwooton

jmorris, I was planning on buying the casepro 100 and automating it. Having no experience with one, I was wondering how fast they can be run and how much torque it takes to operate?

Ryan
Old July 27, 2010, 09:02 AM   #13
jmorris

There are more photos and videos of it running here http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ading/casepro/

I used a motor I already had laying around, it is a Dayton 6Z818A, 278 in/lbs and 30 rpm. You just need time for the cases to fall into the die but either way it can size them faster than I can load them as it doesn't have to stop to refill anything.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:53 AM   #14
ryanwooton

Very nice. I will try and order the casepro 100 today. I have heard it can take a while to get one so I wanna get started.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:19 AM   #15
DocAitch

Bulge Buster

the Lee bulge buster is the carbide ring of the factory crimp die and a device to push the case completely through the ring (remove the crimping stem).
You can use a piece of brass rod epoxied into a case or a steel .223 case (which won't last real long). Further more, if you use the brass rod, you can cut the length to give you the most mechanical advantage depending on your height and the height of your bench.Lube the cases thoroughly

Shot at 2010-07-27

The "dirt" above is the bits of brass that get trimmed off the rim because I push the cases through upside down.
I only use this set up for .40S&W.
DocAitch