The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2008, 11:52 PM   #26
7mm-08

Get a 7mm-08 and don't look back,It will be all you need for most hunting situations.My wife who is rather petite shoots a Rem. model 7 7mm-08 and my 16 year old daughter shoots my Browning micro hunter 7mm-08 both with no problem there is very little recoil and decent bullet selection.
Old January 8, 2008, 07:07 AM   #27
CamoCop

.25-06
Old January 8, 2008, 03:41 PM   #28
Yellowfin

Either the .30/30 or .243 will do exceptionally well. I introduced my soon-to-be wife to centerfire with a Marlin 336 because the configuration fit her well. Fit is a PARAMOUNT consideration. Having what she can hold well will determine results. Either of the two calibers will not move very much at all and the confidence factor will be fantastic. You can reassure her that those two have been putting game on the ground for a century (I'm a track record fanatic) and will not fail her. The only other factor would be short field versus long field. A scope of appropriate (i.e. not too high) magnification will illustrate clearly what she can and cannot do with the rifle provided for her--if it looks too small through it and/or the jiggling is too great, she can clearly see not to shoot.

Set it up right and you got a dead deer or two and a new hunter for life.