The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2002, 10:30 PM   #1
renaissance7697

reloading 12 Gauge...Worth it?

I was in Gylands (sp?) today.
They were selling:
12 gauge - 1oz > #8 - 3 Dram - winchester AA - target loads
for $3.49 @ box of 25.

I havent reloaded 12 gauge in years, but it seems to me that it cost that much in components (reusing the shell casing) back 20 years ago.

With the price of components going up as they have recently..
It seems as it may be not only not worth it, but Costs MORE!

Does anyone out there reload 12 gauge skeet loads today?
What does it cost in components?

( Anyone want to buy a barely used Pacific 2000? )
Old March 29, 2002, 04:48 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My cost for reloading a top quality 1 1/8 oz trap load is currently about $2.80 a box.

I bought a used MEC 600 Jr setup last March. Complete with manual, scale and some components, it paid for itself in 2-3 weeks.
Old March 29, 2002, 09:58 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I guess what Dave is trying to say is it depends on how much, and what kind of loads you shoot. I have a setup and use it, but if I see stuff on sale at a good price I buy and shoot that and save the hulls from those shells.
Old March 29, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4
taco

My wife and I are only casual trap shooters and shoot about 8-10 boxes per month. I found 12G, 1 1/8oz #8 3 1/4 for $2.89 per box of 25 at Walmart few months ago so I bought about 80 boxes. I don't you can reload for much cheaper.
Old March 30, 2002, 01:54 AM   #5
David Wile

Hey folks,

I like shopping at Wal-Mart, but I also like pushing and pulling the handle of a reloading machine. I do buy shells when I need new hulls, but my materials cost to reload them is still less than what they go on sale for at the discount stores. Also, when most people talk about sales on shells, it is usually only the target or game load shells that are on sale. If you want field grade shells, you pay a pretty fair bit more for them. At home, if I decide that I need a field grade load, it does not cost me much more per box than my low end target shells cost. And, like I said before, it's just a fun thing to do.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old March 30, 2002, 10:55 AM   #6
Unkel Gilbey

My dilemma...

When it comes to cost, I have to agree that what you'll find on sale at Wally-mart is really hard to beat sometimes.

Reloading will match those sale prices sometimes, and almost always beats the regular cost for those store bought shells. This makes reloading attractive (to me).

I personally hate to see spent shells just sitting on the deck where someone else just left them. I usually think that they leave them there for me to pick up, so I oblige them!

Additionally, the usual arguement about being able to 'tailor' your loads can come in to play, but unless you are an avid shooter, and take the time to measure the effectiveness of your loads, who's to say if your handload is better? My usual gauge is to see if they go bang! and then if they break the clay/bird. Patterns and hit percentages represent a level of load tailoring that I've yet to attain.

But my real dilemma is that the local Wally mart is about twice as far away from my house as my shooting spot. Do I run into town and buy a bunch of shells when I want to shoot, or do I invest the time and effort reloading a bunch?

What usually happens is that if I don't pick up shells on our bi-monthly run to the store, I either reload or do without the 'on-sale' store bought shells. I haven't really done the math about whether it's cheaper on fuel not going into town, but it is a bother - and besides, the snowbird crowds can make you crazy!

I have a (albeit) cheap Lee Load All press, shot, wads, primers, powder on hand, and most importantly - time. So this doesn't constitute a problem for me. Not to mention that I like the fact that I stuffed them on my own. Call it the 'rugged individualist' streak that we all have to one extent or another, but reloading does give me that satisfaction.

So, is it cheaper to reload? Most of the time - yes. Is it worth while...? Depends upon you. You get out of it what you put into it, be it the satisfaction of reloading and reusing, or the fact that you saved a few pennies.

As far as compontents are concerned, two things you should always try to buy locally are the shot, and the primers/powder. Unless you want to pay the freight and hazmat shipping costs for a small order - it's always best to scope out the local area. Everything else is available from several different catalog sources at very competive prices.

Good luck and good shooting!

Unkel Gilbey
Old March 30, 2002, 11:50 AM   #7
zot

I have a Mec I bought for $65, I reload trap, buckshot and Lee
slugs, and I'm sure I save on the buckshot and slugs,also I load
heavy #4 field loads for pheasant, I hate #6or#7 for hunting too small,#4s you can find easier without breaking a tooth.
Old April 1, 2002, 11:54 AM   #8
Poodleshooter

I reload a 1oz trap and skeet load for about the same cost as the 7/8oz load available at Walmart. I can't load a 7/8 as cheap as they do. I mostly save money compared to various hunting loads that I duplicate. Plus I can pick whatever shot size that I want for a particular load. If I want something other than #7.5,#6 or #4, I'm SOL at Walmart.