The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2015, 03:38 PM   #1
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Is the arbor removable?

I loved my brass .44 '51 Navy so I got a steel frame .44 Navy.

Then the sear and bolt spring on the steel frame broke.

Then the soft-as-lead screw holding it in got stripped. Then the stripped screw extractor broke off in the hole. It's stuck there.

Is it possible to remove the arbor to salvage this abortion ?

Imagine my surprise when a soft obstruction was accidentally replaced with a much harder obstruction.

Last edited by Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret; May 14, 2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old May 14, 2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Sorry to hear about your problem.

What specific brand are we talking about?

Don't blame your steel frame for the split trigger/bolt spring breaking. That spring and the hand spring are the two springs most liable to break in a Colt style lockwork. Nothing to do with the metal the frame is made of. Here is a photo of a broken trigger/bolt spring and a broken bolt from a 2nd Gen Colt. The spring is just prone to breaking, no matter who made it, unless steps are taken to relieve some of the sharp corners.

Regarding the screw, Uberti is well known for soft screws. The heads get buggered up all the time if a poorly fitting screw driver is used. Personally, I never trust screw extractors, and you have discovered why.

Bring the gun to a good gunsmith. The broken screw extractor can be removed by EDM (Electro Discharge Machine). Hopefully the threads in the steel frame are undamaged. They will definitely last longer than threads in brass. Once you have the damaged screw out, call up VTI Gunparts for their hardened screws.

And be sure to use hollow ground screw driver bits that fit the screw slots precisely.
Old May 14, 2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Pietta. I have a feeling the gunsmith will charge more than the $200 I paid for it.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:36 PM   #4
45 Dragoon

Nah!! Not for removing a screw.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old May 14, 2015, 08:55 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't know of any gunsmith who has EDM. I know of one mfg that does though.
Old May 14, 2015, 09:05 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

You can remove the arbor by drilling out the locking pin, but you take a chance of ruining the arbor and the frame. I think I would try a very hard Dremel bit (dental burr) to cut through that broken screw extractor. Hindsight, but if the screw is that soft, you probably could have drilled it out easily, but the screw extractor is likely pretty hard and it might be tougher to get out.

Jim
Old May 14, 2015, 10:12 PM   #7
44 Dave

I have removed and re installed an arbor, but it is not a job for a "shade tree" mechanic.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Smokin'Joe

I strongly advise against removing the arbor. You almost certainly will ruin the frame. Try to drill out the broken screw from the side opposite where you inserted the extractor. If you damage the threads in the frame that can be repaired.

An old trick from my automotive repair days is to drill out thread damaged holes to an oversize hole and cut threads in it. Install a new oversized bolt/screw using thread-lock compound. Cut off excess length of screw and treat the area as if it were virgin metal. Drill a new hole and cut threads for a new screw. This repair technique usually provides stronger-than-new results.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:48 AM   #9
DD4lifeusmc

Why are you wanting to remove the arbor in the first place, when apparently is is only a stripped screw in the frame?
With out pictures, I am presuming the head of the screw is still there.
You drilled part way down into it, then used an extractor and the tip of the extractor broke off.

Most times these can be worked back out, by using a very small pointed chisel, punch, screwdrive, by tapping back wards.
You were turning counter clockwise.
Tap the broken piece clockwise. they wil normally work free.

Then you should order a couple hands and spring and a couple trigger-bolt springs also. So you have a spare.