The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2014, 09:01 PM   #1
circa81

Short thumbs

I can't reach the mag release on a glock 26 because of my short thumbs. I can barely reach it on a Sig P239. Is there any double stack pistol that has as a short reach as the P239? I would guess not, but you never know.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:05 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Just turn the pistol in your hand? I have to do the same thing. I never understood the obsession with extended mag releases and the like. You don't want to activate a mag release accidentally. It's supposed to be intentional and require some movement.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 4, 2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Marty8613

Make it lefty

I buy pistols with swappable mag release and swap it. Right index is longer than thumbs. Oddly my left thumb reaches when I shoot lefty.

Anyway the Bersa CC, Thunder HC and UC lines all have a short mag reach.

Attaching pic of my Mini Firestorm before I swapped it. Same as the Thunder UC, except for grip and trigger guard.

Last edited by Marty8613; April 4, 2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old April 4, 2014, 09:09 PM   #4
circa81

I still have to turn my hand to reach the mag release on the P239.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:26 PM   #5
UncleEd

If you're talking about using the slide stop/release after inserting a magazine while the slide is locked back, don't use it. Just "sling shot" the slide.

As to the mag release, use a left hand finger since you've probably already shot the gun with the offhand as a support.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #6
WVsig

Quote:
I can't reach the mag release on a glock 26 because of my short thumbs. I can barely reach it on a Sig P239. Is there any double stack pistol that has as a short reach as the P239? I would guess not, but you never know.
BHP.....

Old April 4, 2014, 09:36 PM   #7
circa81

That's a real beauty...
Old April 6, 2014, 06:01 AM   #8
mrdaputer

Try out the Walther PPQ classic it has paddles no thumbs needed. It's a great feeling and shooting gun
Old April 6, 2014, 07:25 AM   #9
kcub

Paddles are better, ambidextrous is better.

Think about how stupid it is to have a button to eject all the bullets very quickly. Could it accidently get pushed at or before the worst possible time? Of course it can.
Old April 6, 2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Bob_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd
As to the mag release, use a left hand finger since you've probably already shot the gun with the offhand as a support.
This. In the past I always rotated the gun in my hand to reach the mag release, but at a course I recently took, they advised against changing my grip.
They taught me to use my left hand to release the mag, as I brought the gun back for a reload.
Old April 6, 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
mrt949

HK P2000 SK
Old April 6, 2014, 11:59 AM   #12
10-96

Quote:
They taught me to use my left hand to release the mag, as I brought the gun back for a reload.
+1 what he said. I don't know why more folks aren't teaching and talking about that. Most times a shooter has both hands up there where the firearm is anyway, so just take your left thumb off the unemployment line, and let it run your slide stops (for right handers). Even if you're shooting bullseye style, or any other form of right hand only shooting- your left is up there for clip exchanges anyway.

The only hiccup I see to this, is right handed folks who don't have left thumbs may not find this technique all that helpful.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 6, 2014, 12:00 PM   #13
jimbob86

There are a few double stack 1911's out there for which you could get a drop in extended slide release.