The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 14, 2002, 08:49 PM   #1
NotQuiteSane

Modifying a 1917 Enfield -- What can't I do?

Hey y'all

I inherited a enfield several years ago. it's mismatched parts (action & barrel winchester, rest remington) gun with sporterized stock. I want to rechamber it for 300 win mag.

As I see it my project has the following steps (not in order)

mill off ears
drill & tap for scope
rechamber barrel
recrown
replace triggeer
replace follower
replace stock
mount scope.

Now, my question is what must I farm out to a gunsmith? I'm thinking the first 4, unless I fina a lathe mill at a resonable price.

opinions?

and yes I know I could buy a new rifle for what this project will cost. thats not a factor here.

NQS

Right the wrongs with the Bill of Rights Smith for Prez!
Old October 14, 2002, 11:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

You don't need to mill off the ears, just hacksaw them off and file the remains down to the receiver contour. But you will have to fill the hole under the rear sight with a fitted plate and weld it in. For that, I recommend a gunsmith, and also for the drilling and tapping and rechambering.

There should be no need for recrowning unless the crown has been damaged or you want to cut the barrel back. You probably won't need to replace the follower, either. Polishing and bluing is probably a pretty good idea if you are going with a new stock and all.

Just remember the definition of "sporterizing": Making a $700 gun into a $200 gun and paying $300 to do it.

Jim
Old October 15, 2002, 09:43 PM   #3
NotQuiteSane

Quote:
You don't need to mill off the ears, just hacksaw them off and file the remains down to the receiver contour. But you will have to fill the hole under the rear sight with a fitted plate and weld it in. For that, I recommend a gunsmith, and also for the drilling and tapping and rechambering.
I took a look at it again. I think I can get close with a dremel and lots of patience, then followed up with hand filing

Quote:
There should be no need for recrowning unless the crown has been damaged or you want to cut the barrel back.
it's visably damaged. lots of nicks

Quote:
You probably won't need to replace the follower, either. Polishing and bluing is probably a pretty good idea if you are going with a new stock and all.
forgot that. but yeah, should be done.

Quote:
Just remember the definition of "sporterizing": Making a $700 gun into a $200 gun and paying $300 to do it.
right. but again, I have diffrent reasons for doing this than money.

NQS

Right the wrongs with the Bill of Rights Smith for Prez!