The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2015, 04:44 PM   #26
JERRYS.

if you have to rip off some rounds inside to save your life you might hear some of them. when your body gets an adrenaline dump it tends to shut down peripheral things and focus very narrowly on other things.

if you've hunted you know how loud your rifle is simple zero'ing it when you're calm, yet when you make that shot for real and your heart is racing and your breathing changes.... its hardly that loud.
Old January 3, 2015, 05:58 PM   #27
Guv

I wouldn't sweat it too much, shoot what your familiar with. Chances are if your a Harley guy and tune them or work on them, (I have) you've exposed your friends and loved ones to allot of noise already. My effectiveness with my weapon would be my biggest concern. And as ^^Jerry said, adrenaline does some strange things when you shoot, although this doesn't address your family members in the same room or house.
Old January 3, 2015, 08:12 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...firing a .357Sig outdoors is not that bad...
Your admission that it caused your ears to ring means that it was bad enough to cause permanent damage.
Quote:
And we have some finger-wagging nannies.
Providing information that may help someone avoid damaging their hearing through an ill-advised experiment is an excellent way to use this forum and forums like it.
Quote:
We have another experience...
We have so far on a two page thread:

1. Experience of firing a .357Sig outdoors that resulted in hearing damage.
2. Three experiences of firing a .357Mag indoors that resulted in hearing damage.
3. One experience of firing a 9mm indoors that resulted in hearing damage.
4. One experience of firing a .38spl indoors that apparently resulted in no hearing damage.
Quote:
(not quantified)
It's not possible to accurately quantify hearing damage without a baseline to work from. Given that very few people have had a formal test to baseline their hearing, it's a given that virtually any hearing damage will be more or less "unquantified".
Quote:
...adrenaline does some strange things when you shoot, although this doesn't address your family members in the same room or house.
It also probably won't address your own hearing. You may not notice the sound (I didn't actually hear the discharge noise when I had my experience) but it can still do a number on your ears.
Old January 3, 2015, 09:08 PM   #29
guruatbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Your admission that it caused your ears to ring means that it was bad enough to cause permanent damage.

Providing information that may help someone avoid damaging their hearing through an ill-advised experiment is an excellent way to use this forum and forums like it.

We have so far on a two page thread:

1. Experience of firing a .357Sig outdoors that resulted in hearing damage.
2. Three experiences of firing a .357Mag indoors that resulted in hearing damage.
3. One experience of firing a 9mm indoors that resulted in hearing damage.
4. One experience of firing a .38spl indoors that apparently resulted in no hearing damage.

It's not possible to accurately quantify hearing damage without a baseline to work from. Given that very few people have had a formal test to baseline their hearing, it's a given that virtually any hearing damage will be more or less "unquantified".

It also probably won't address your own hearing. You may not notice the sound (I didn't actually hear the discharge noise when I had my experience) but it can still do a number on your ears.
Nice summary!

Mel
Old January 3, 2015, 09:30 PM   #30
Guv

I'll happily trade some more hearing loss for something much worse happening to myself or my family.
Old January 3, 2015, 10:13 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

I'm a wheelgun guy. And in a SD situation, there is no other gun I'd rather have in my hand than (one of) my S&W 686(s).

But. . .

Noise IS a serious consideration in a home environment. Not only are 357 Magnums particularly loud, but pretty much all revolvers are loud - due to the barrel-cylinder gap (it also generates an unacceptable of side-flash - but that's a different post).

That said, I go with a semi-auto for home protection. I prefer the 45 ACP round because it's low pressure; and therefore, low noise ("low" being a relative term, of course). And of course, it still delivers a pretty good punch.
Old January 3, 2015, 10:34 PM   #32
JeffK

Some interesting real measurements, graphs, explanations, etc. here, http://www.elcaudio.com/decibel.htm It's more or less consistent with anecdotes here and elsewhere - depends on the gun, but some guns are capable of causing permanent hearing damage.
Old January 3, 2015, 11:33 PM   #33
whanson_wi

I can hear it now... "Kids! Get your ears on! Daddy heard a noise downstairs!"

Seriously, the presence of the carpet and stuffed furniture is something I hadn't considered. I hope if it ever comes down to it that all that sound-dampening helps a LOT.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:56 AM   #34
hartcreek

I had an incident next door with someone that had to be removed by police. The person turned a pitbull loose on two officers and one officer fired three rounds into the dog with a .40. I was standing right behind the officer doing the fireing and all I heard was three small pops.
Old January 4, 2015, 07:11 PM   #35
Pezo

Maybe off topic. But. Fired 6 shot cylinder of standard pressure .38 lrn. Didn't perceive noise as loud but temporarily lost more and more of my hearing each shot. Perceived it as a pop noise but my ears felt like they were clogging and they rang badly for a few days. I've fired .22 magnum inside a full shop warehouse. Into a backstop of course. Didn't find it too bad, loud with very temporary ringing. But I stopped doing this after I fired a round when the place had Been emptied and cleaned up. Had the ring but a actual pain when fired. .22 lr as well but to a lesser extent. One of the main reasons I won't carry .357 anymore is the noise. I just couldn't imagine. .38 fine for me.
Old January 4, 2015, 07:23 PM   #36
lee n. field

Quote:
hat happens after the 44 magnum is discharged in the 1200 square foot home with the wife and three children?Is everyone including me, deaf forever?
No, but it's going to cost you.

Quote:
SO lets look at even a 9 mm or a 38 or a little 22. Discharging one of any of these in an enclosed slab or two-story home, will defiantly effect hearing.
Yeah. "Dropping the hammer" means everything's gone wrong. I assume that if you've gotten to the point of shooting, the alternative result of not shooting is worse.

Yes, it's going to cost you.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 5, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old January 6, 2015, 03:26 PM   #37
AtEase

Lee N. Field, cute , the name thingy. Now if you have read my initial post as well as my latter insertion, you will note I am not associating; NOT defending self or family with any said weapon available, when necessary. I was asking a question in order to determine if most of us ever give consideration to the aftereffects of such altercation.

Now with that said, I am also not a Rambo mindset either. I do know that some of us can do better with smaller calibers than larger calibers. But our male manliness brings out the big guy in us and we mostly have to have the biggest thing going. I have owned almost every cal. hand gun short of 44 mag and 50 cal. I even had a $3800.00 Wilson Combat 45 that I couldn't hit the narrow side of the barn with. I have in like had a 17 that I could split casings with at 75 feet. My proportions are 6'-1" 240#. I also served in the Army during but not in V.N. as a Medic. So I have heard noise.

My point again goes back to the one poster here, whom really had an altercation and had to use his weapon for defense. His response qualifies him better than any of us speculators and range shooters. I do know an empty room, such as a shooting range is going to be much different that a deep pile carpeted room with suspended ceiling, and full of furniture. If you have family, which should not change your reasoning for shooting and defending self, you might be interested in the after effects as I am, which is why I pretty much asked the question.

i love all the responses here especially the hearing effect information, which is part of what I was looking for. Since it appears that most believe that the hearing loss thing is only temporary, I'm considering a Ruger 30 cal pistol for basement target shooting!!!!!!!!
Old January 6, 2015, 03:33 PM   #38
Dragline45

Quote:
Since it appears that most believe that the hearing loss thing is only temporary, I'm considering a Ruger 30 cal pistol for basement target shooting!!!!!!!!
AtEase is online now Report Post
Hearing loss is not temporary. Even if your hearing goes back to what you perceive is normal, there was still damage done. I have high frequency hearing loss from firing a single .357 round indoors with no hearing protection, as well as permanent ringing in my left ear. While the high frequency hearing loss does not effect things like hearing the TV or people taking, if I take a loaded rifle round and shake it next to my good ear I can hear the powder shaking around in the casing, if I do it in my bad ear it is ever so faint.
Old January 6, 2015, 09:16 PM   #39
guruatbol

What? Can't hear you.

I can tell you that I am certain there was some permanent loss after that one incident. I cal also tell you being a teenager in the 70s has taken a toll as well.

I can now go to a full blown concert and not leave deaf because I am sure I am not 100% in the hearing area!

So, if you can avoid it, don't fire any weapon without hearing protection. During self defence situations, you have no choice.

I stopped dove hunting because I hate ear protection while hunting dove and the shotgun noise is just too much.

Mel
Old January 6, 2015, 10:10 PM   #40
lee n. field

Quote:
During self defense situations, you have no choice.
Which was my point.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 7, 2015, 02:25 PM   #41
Guv

To add to what Lee said, even though you are in the right, the hearing loss may be far less of an issue compared to the legal and psychological burden brought upon you after defending yourself. The criminals seem to have just as many rights as we do.
Old January 7, 2015, 02:46 PM   #42
Sharkbite

I dont understand the debate here. I have used firearms (both handguns and longguns) defensively against threats, sometimes without the benefit of ear pro. It WILL mess up your hearing...period

If legal in your area, jump thru the legal hoops and put a can on your HD pistol. My Glock fitted with an AAC TiRant 9s is about perfect. Still short/light enough to be easy to wield in close quarters. Quiet enough indoors to not worry about blowing my ears out.

Come home...screw the can on...attach a light and its ready to repel any mid-night visitors. DONE!!
Old January 9, 2015, 02:12 AM   #43
WebleyBloke

Interesting and quite informative thread. To be honest I never gave the issue much thought, figuring I suppose that if I had to use a handgun for self defense at home, some hearing loss would be a relatively minor issue - compared with the risk of not dealing effectively with the threat.

For reasons I'd rather not explain in detail () I always wear ear plugs in bed. After reading this I will more likely keep them plugged in if I'm awakened and there's a possibility of needing to defend myself. My 2.5 in. 357 Mag is loud enough on the range with full ear protection ....
Old January 9, 2015, 10:55 AM   #44
Glenn E. Meyer

I have a set of muffs near the night time SD gun. One for me and one for the wife. Unless, it is an instantaneous go for the gun - there's time to put them on.

We have alarms, etc. - so we might have the time unless it is a dynamic assault.

As far as not detecting damage - you need a professional exam to detect such at threshold levels and across the frequency spectrum.
Old January 9, 2015, 11:15 AM   #45
Guv

No way I would want muffs on is a life or death situation, I think it would really mess with my senses and awarness.
Old January 9, 2015, 11:22 AM   #46
Sharkbite

Quote:
No way I would want muffs on is a life or death situation, I think it would really mess with my senses and awarness.
Electronic muffs let me hear things i cannot hear unaided
Old January 9, 2015, 11:49 AM   #47
Willie Lowman

Quote:
what happens after the 44 magnum is discharged in the 1200
Well I can speak of the sound of a .44 magnum indoors.
I shot a raccoon in the corner my 36'x48' pole barn one night. I had put ear phones on before I shot. After I shot, I couldn't hear anything it was like the volume on the world was turned to zero. I took the 'phones off and over the span of a minute my hearing returned. It was scary at first, even with the hearing protection the .44 had temporarily deafened me.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:10 PM   #48
Glenn E. Meyer

Having used electronic muffs in numerous matches and FOF training, I will go with them as compared to losing my hearing in a critical incident.

Perhaps I shouldn't wear my glasses either?
Old January 9, 2015, 05:10 PM   #49
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Electronic muffs let me hear things i cannot hear unaided
I've often wondered about these. While I'm not likely to add something like this to my daily CC, it might not be a bad idea for the nightstand.

Speaking of daily CC, I know it isn't uncommon for people to carry a back-up mag or speed-loader but what about other accessories? Hearing protection seems pretty impractical for the 99+% of the time that we are not under attack and putting it on is probably more complication than we'd have time for if we were...
Old January 9, 2015, 09:47 PM   #50
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
While I'm not likely to add something like this to my daily CC, it might not be a bad idea for the nightstand.
I have a set by my nightstand. Would I remember them in a true emergency? My guess is not.

But if it's just for a bump-in-the-night type situation, I can put them on and actually get a sensory benefit of being able to hear better than normal. And if the bump turns out to be sinister, I'll still be able to hear after the first gunshot.

I do not advocate putting them on in a situation where there's any hint that time might be critical. There are better uses of your time in a situation like that and hearing loss shouldn't be really high on your lists of worries in that case.