The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Turf

.40 S&W - Nosler 135JHP & Red Dot Powder

I’m new to reloading and just loaded 100 rounds of .40 S&W. I’m working with a Lee Deluxe Turret kit. I put a few rounds together during the holidays and all went bang so I figured it was time to move forward and try a few more. I’m taking it slow and checking my charges every 5 to 10 that I complete as well as my OAL - also looking over most of them with a magnifying glass to look for anything that looks out of place – I have pulled a few back apart that I didn’t like –
I’m working with 135gr Nosler JHP’s with Red Dot. With the deluxe kit I have the Lee Auto Disk Power Measure – they call for 6.2 to 6.7 and using the .88 hole on the auto disk. Setting the disk on the .88 hole is dumping maybe 6.2 grains if I’m lucky, it’s closer to 6.0 or 6.1 – the next hole up is .95 which is real close if not right at dumping 6.7 (which is the max load) – any suggestions on how I get to 6.4 or 6.5 – would moving to a Pro Auto disk be one answer? What about the adjustable charge bar? Does that work with the Lee Auto disk that was included with the kit?
I plan to try some other powders per other posts on this forum and other research, as I’m aware it may yield better results - but any suggestions for this Red Dot and tweaking the auto disk in general would be appreciated.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:39 PM   #2
bedlamite

The wiper and ability to shut off flow makes the pro auto disk worth the upgrade. The adjustable charge bar is a piece of crap. Your best bet for smaller increments is the double disk kit.

Last edited by bedlamite; January 9, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old January 10, 2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Shoney

Red Dot is a flake powder that is difficult to meter much better than plus or minus 0.1 grains. In my experience, pistol loads that vary that much/little are not significantly changing the velocity or accuracy.

When you get up into the plus or minus 0.2 grains, it can make a difference.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 10, 2011, 11:34 PM   #4
SQUAREKNOT

I also use the Nosler 135gr for the .40 cal. I found Longshot powder the
best. At a near minimum load I get 1300fps using Remington 5.5 primers. With Winchester primers it was around 100 fps less. I do not have the load data here at home but I stopped looking at other powders for the 40