The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
DasFriek

.40 Calibers GUNS sitting and not selling?

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT AMMO!!!
Its about GUNS in the .40 caliber.

This may be a local thing,mabey not.
But the shelves of my local dealers are full of used .40's and finding a 9mm or .45 used is hard.I will say these are most police trade-ins but they still look good.
Im not asking if you like the .40,rather im wondering if your seeing excess .40 caliber guns in your region not moveing also?
Its kind of hard to judge new .40 sales since i dont work in a gun store.

Last edited by DasFriek; September 1, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:19 PM   #2
ritepath

I don't know about the pistols themselves, but I can always find 40 at wally world vs finding 9 for the second time this year this evening.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Stevie-Ray

Not here that I know of, but if the caliber has hit on hard times and starts going for cheap, I might just be interested in one. I really have had no interest in the caliber, but at least it's one I don't have and there are many fine guns attributed to it. I'll have a closer look around here.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
yamaha24

It has all been the same here for me really...midwest that is,lots of 40 cal, funny though I am having a hard time getting my 9's to sell that I have at the local gun shop..

Last edited by yamaha24; September 2, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Beentown71

At the local "big" fun shop there is always more 40's than anything else. They list them as police trades. I do find it funny that there are so many all the time. I wouldn't think LEOs would trade that often???

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old September 1, 2009, 08:38 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

I dont see more here than any other caliber.... tho I did buy two of them awhile back.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:58 PM   #7
koolminx

The ONLY ammo I see on the shelves locally is 40 cal... Nothing for the 9mm nothign for any of the fun as hell pistols... Not since Obama hit office.

I have no clue why...
Old September 1, 2009, 09:00 PM   #8
DasFriek

In case i wasnt clear im not talking about ammo availability.Wich has been on par with the rest for me.
I can find mabey 1 or 2 9mm's that are used in a large Fun store,but they have racks of guns in .40 and im not talking about junk.
Racks of Glocks,Sigs and Berreta's all in .40 even a few HK's

Now in saying this i also guess alot if not most LEO's issue mainly .40's correct?
Old September 1, 2009, 09:17 PM   #9
rsxr22

my experiences in my area are reserved only towards Wally World because it is the only place i will buy ammo, my second choice if they dont have anything is a local shop who also has a reloading business.

At wally world:
9mm is plentiful(normally WWB, but sometimes federal champion
.40 is tougher to find but could be had with some early morning checking
.45 is impossible to find!
Old September 1, 2009, 09:37 PM   #10
DasFriek

I feel i may have failed to express my desire to not talk about ammo,its about guns only that are in .40 caliber.
I edited the thread title and posted a big red sentence in the first post also.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:18 PM   #11
jjyergler

Actually, I've noticed a large number of .25, .38 Spc, and 9mm in my area. At both gun shops I visit on a regular basis, I see many cheap .25s, the most common revolvers are .38s, and many 9mms.

I see many new .45s, but they seem to move quickly. Magnum revolvers don't last, and .40 autos move quickly also. I haven't noticed a change, but I haven't been looking.

I think that these three are simply the most popular calibers overall, but I'll be paying attention now.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old September 1, 2009, 10:31 PM   #12
rsxr22

haha i apoligize dasfriek. I have been seeing large amounts of .40 guns around lately, but i dont necessarily think it is because people arent selling them. I think more people are getting them in because of there popularity, atleast in my area.
Normally there were a huge excess of 9mms, but it is actually hard to even find an XDM in 9mm right now in my area.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Kyo

i haven't seen a gun offered for sale in wal-mart since about a year ago here in GA. What I do see is lots of 9's selling. When I go to gun shows I see 40's the most sitting around. Idk why. They are the biggest percentage of the guns on each table when I go around. Idk why.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 1, 2009, 10:49 PM   #14
TRguy

recoil

came out as the answer between 45 power, 9mm capacity, and 10mm recoil management.

Today the 40 is almost as expensive to buy ammo for as the 45. Reloading is also about the same costs as 45.

As with any compromise it is good but not really great at anything.

I owned 40s in 23, 22, M&P, Sig 229, beretta. Today only the Sig remains.

I Have shifted to 9mm for cost of reloading and preference for my SSP IDPA pistol. I prefer my 1911s and 4506 for defense handguns. If I shoot CDP IDPA I have a 45.

I just don't see any advantage. I see LEO management still is in love with the 40 but I think the GP fad of loving the 40 is over.

Not to mention in light polymer pistols the 40 has a very snappy recoil.

The 45 has a pleasant manageable thud recoil and the 9mm is just lighter recoil and very manageable to smaller shooters.

So with the love affair dying there are lots of 40s available
Old September 1, 2009, 11:01 PM   #15
David the Gnome

I notice (and pass over) a lot of 40's in my local shops as well. I have played with the idea of actually buying one on a few occasions based on the fact that, like ritepath, 40 S&W is the only ammo they ever seem to have at Wal-Mart.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:07 PM   #16
tmd47762

I've seen a pile of .40 S&W ex- Atlanta Police in a local store, but if I remember correctly they're all left-handed models (they also have a huge bin of surplus left-handed police holsters). I think you may be seeing more used .40 pistols available because there are a lot of departments trying to make up for lost tax revenues and selling surplus or stockpiled pistols.
Old September 1, 2009, 11:20 PM   #17
scrub12b

This doesnt seem to be a problem in my area
Old September 2, 2009, 08:03 AM   #18
shottas69

maybe not enough people appreciate the effectiveness of the caliber and its benefits
Old September 2, 2009, 08:23 AM   #19
ZeSpectre

all the more for ME!!!!
Old September 2, 2009, 08:25 AM   #20
Magyar

Quote:
I feel i may have failed to express my desire to not talk about ammo,its about guns only that are in .40 caliber.
They are just "pulling your chain"...Your big-red letters was kind of insulting to our collective intelligence...
I do see alot of .40's, possibly mine as well since I just sold my last one in that caliber. The novelty has worn off for me. With the ammo shortage, I just have one-less caliber to worry about...
Old September 2, 2009, 09:06 AM   #21
Uncle Buck

I have seen more .40 cals for sale in the gun and pawn shops lately (can not find another cowboy .45 though). I have two of them and just am not interested in getting another one. Next time I am in the shops, I will have to ask what their theory is for the .40's not to be selling.

I know you said you did not want to talk about ammo, but maybe this is why a lot of folks have said they see more .40 cal ammo in the stores, the guns are just not selling.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:10 AM   #22
cougar gt-e

I don't have any tracked statistics, but it seems every time I hit the local fun shops, the merchandise is always different. They are still selling everything around here pretty well, but prices are dropping too.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:11 AM   #23
Maromero

Easy cowboy. No need to get psychotic about it.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:15 AM   #24
billyj571

Their is alot of 40,s at sams gun.
Old September 2, 2009, 09:22 AM   #25
Kyo

i agree with tmd47762, i see many many .40's that are used police guns. like, tables upon tables worth. S&W 40 tactical. comes with 2-3 mags, and 2 boxes of ammo for 400 bucks. There isn't even a price tag. they just say "that whole table is 400"
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.