The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 1, 2006, 06:50 AM   #1
905 Newbie

S & W 642 Hand Torsion Spring :-)

Hi,

I have done over a dozen Ruger Mark II trigger jobs and rebuilt a few 380 semi-automatics and, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how this spring is supposed to go in or how it functions!

I also spent more time searching the net and this board than the job should have taken.

Can someone who is familiar with the reassembly please tell me, in simple terms, which position the spring should be in?

It has two coils, a long end and a short end so, looking at the trigger flat on the bench; the spring can be positioned [to start with], in any of the following four positions

__o___ ___o__ -----o--- ---o-----

All of the following questions are pretty much the same; but, just phrased differently, to help me get a clear answer.

1. Which way does it go in? Loop up or down?

2. When done, should the “loop” of the spring be sticking out to the right of the trigger?

3. Which end touches the smaller of the two pins in the Hand and which end is “pressured off of the trigger”?

4. Does the end that touches the smaller Hand pin, go above it or below it?

5. Isn’t the point of this spring to put tension on the Hammer Sear and keep pressure on it to the left? Or am I just not getting it; because I got the gun apart and back together [after finding the spring] and the pressure was to the right – the gun would not function.

I can’t figure out how to insert and “shape” the spring to create the proper “tension direction”.

I hope I explained this well enough. Other than blurry part schematics, I could find no internal pictures to guide me.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Craig
Old March 1, 2006, 01:33 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Wow! Whatinheck were you doing taking that trigger apart in the first place? Just for fun, I guess, as there is no other reason I can think of.

First, the loop goes up. Second, the long end of the spring goes to the rear and bears on the short pin in the hand.

I recommend using a drift punch as a slave pin to install the spring and insert the pin that holds it into the trigger. Then insert the long pin of the hand partway into the trigger, while using a small screwdriver to push up on the tail of the spring and slip the short pin of the hand under it.

If you did it right, you now have tension on the hand to move it forward. The hand is not meant to move from side to side, only in a short arc back and forth.

Jim
Old March 1, 2006, 08:56 PM   #3
905 Newbie

Had me until...

Never mind...boy do I feel stupid!

Thanks Jim,

Craig

Last edited by 905 Newbie; March 1, 2006 at 09:50 PM.