The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2002, 12:52 AM   #1
RHarris

Might try Rust Bluing. How do I boil big parts?

I'm considering attempting to use a rust bluing kit from Brownell's (Belgian blue or Pilikingtons). From what I have read, there is a step requiring the parts to be immersed in boiling water. That presents a little problem. What kind of container to I boil water in that will accomodate an entire rifle barrel? Is submersion in boiling water absolutely necessary to rust blue a firearm?
Old June 13, 2002, 06:06 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You can buy a tank from Brownells or make one/have one made locally. The tank has to be long enough to hold your longest part and the heat source should be able to bring the water to a boil. Boiling the parts is a necessary step as it turns the red oxide into black oxide. George
Old June 17, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3
'01 GSR

Just in case someone isn't thinking about this possibility, make sure to plug the barrel so as not to rust the bore.
Old June 17, 2002, 03:44 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

I use a trick picked up from John Bivins, he coats the inside of the barrel with a varnish to protect the rifling from the water and the corrosive chemicals, it wipes out with solvent afterwards. I still use the wooden dowels (they give you something to hang onto), but I don't worry about the bore during the operation.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old June 22, 2002, 01:33 PM   #5
gundog98k

rust blueing tank

My old shop teacher did his own blueing. He made his own tank by welding two pieces of 3/16"x 6" flat stock into a "V" shape and welding flat covers over the ends. Took me about 1/2 hour to weld for him. Worked well.