The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 11, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Recoiljunkie44

Polish Radom Love

Is there other people out there who like the way the polish Radom looks! Even though overshadowed by the luger and p38 it was a very reliable weapon!!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 11, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Wildalaska

If you are lucky Larvatus will chime him, he is a Radom expert

WildpaginlarvatusAlaska ™
Old August 11, 2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Recoiljunkie44

I have a friend whos grandpa brought one back from WWII, and one day while we were over there he showed us it! ever since i have fell in love with them!

Walt: " well you know,I prayed for them to come
but no one answered"
Old August 11, 2009, 02:38 PM   #4
B. Lahey

I saw one for sale the other day. It was in awful shape, and still way out of my price-range.

I should have bought one 10 years ago.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
OldShooter

I have one I picked up at a local shop for a surprisingly low price, with 2 magazines. It's in good condition and shoots well. Cabelas had one in pretty ratty shape and wants nearly 3 times what I paid.

It's a well made and fine shooting pistol. Mine has all the levers and has a pretty decent finish considering the Germans were operating the factory.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:35 PM   #6
csmsss

I used to see them at gun shops and gun shows all the time for next to nothing. Now, all of a sudden they're collector's pieces. Weird!
Old August 12, 2009, 07:37 AM   #7
jsmaye

Are they C&R eligible?
Old August 12, 2009, 09:33 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

None were made after WWII, so they are certainly C&R eligible.

Jim
Old August 12, 2009, 09:39 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

PetahW's picture, for those who may not understand, is a joke about Polish revolvers.

Jokes aside, the Poles made both the Mauser 98 rifle and the Radom pistol before and during WWII, and since have made excellent copies of Russian arms. The Radom pistol was (AFAIK) the only handgun of that era designed and made in Poland by Poles, and it is a good one. (Later guns were made at Steyr, but the ones made in Poland are better.)

There have been stories about FN or Colt being involved in the design, but people who should know say that is not true. While some elements of the design are clearly "borrowed" from products of both companies, the gun is still a Polish design.

Jim
Old August 13, 2009, 08:00 AM   #10
jsmaye

Quote:
None were made after WWII, so they are certainly C&R eligible.
My fault - I thought 'Polish Radom' meant the P-64, not the 35 vis.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
My fault - I thought 'Polish Radom' meant the P-64, not the 35 vis.
Actually, it means both. Radom is the town in Poland where the government made its firearms. There is no actual "brand name" for polish ex-military firearms. Therefore, the generally accepted brand name became Radom.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a Radom that I picked up around 1982 for $125 at my local gunshop.

I've always loved the thing, but the last couple of years it's developed a distressing habit of the extractor skipping over the rim of the case, jamming the gun.

One of these days I'll get around to polishing the chamber and possibly replacing the extractor.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:09 PM   #13
Ronbo1

Radom

A vet bring back Radom P35 made in 43

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old August 18, 2009, 01:53 PM   #14
P45

Radom

I recently acquired a really nice grade 2. Fit is excellent (nice and tight) with
a crisp but heavy trigger pull. Finish has some tool marks with 98% bluing. Bore is sharp and bright. The pre-war Eagles must have been superbly built. Looks like there may be more Radom p35's in my future.
Old September 6, 2009, 12:53 PM   #15
gyvel

Radoms produced in 1992

FYI guys, there were a VERY limited number (Wikipedia says 27) of Vis pistols made ca. 1992 "for collectors," complete with Polish Eagle and dated appropriately. Apparently, some original machinery still exists at F.B. Radom, now known as Lucznik Arms Factory. I was offered one by the importer for the low, low price of $1800.00. (Retail was $2000.00.) In retrospect, maybe I should have coughed up the money. LOL (I did end up purchasing a pair of consecutive numbered Vanad P-83s from him.)

As an aside, while not a native design, Nagant gas seal revolvers were produced at F.B. Radom from about 1930-31 until 1935. Like pre-war Eagle Vis pistols, they exhibit first rate workmanship, the equal of or better than German.
Old September 7, 2009, 08:17 AM   #16
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

As the above poster notes, using "Radom" as shorthand for the wz.35 is common, but not really correct, as Radom was the manufacturer.

I have a lovely wz.48, the nicest Tokarev you will ever see, with the F.B. Radom logo atop the slide...

Tags
polish wwii relic , radom