The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
BCTargetQueen

Challenge: Tell Me More About This Gun!

My husband and I procured a Smith and Wesson Model 63 .22 this weekend. We know very little about this gun. It was originally given to my dad by my grandfather 15-20 years ago. Can anyone tell me how old this revolver may be or any other pertinent information? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model 63 1.jpg (94.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg Model 63 2.jpg (83.4 KB, 146 views)
Old July 28, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Waldo Pepper

Go here to S&W Forum and you can find everything out about the gun. It is sort of a collectors item and has begun to have a shooting collectors following. I have no idea of value but probably minium of $400 to $600+ if you still have original box, and all it contents.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:20 PM   #3
stevieboy

Open the cylinder and you'll see a serial # for the gun. That'll likely provide information, within months, about when it was manufactured. The Smith & Wesson Model 63 is a so-called "J" (small) frame revolver that Smith began manufacturing in 1977. It is a stainless steel replacement for a "blued" carbon steel predecessor, the Model 34. It's still manufactured, and the current version is an 8-shot revolver with a 5" barrel. The gun is valued as a collector's item but also as a good all-round shooter.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4
BCTargetQueen

Thanks for the resource and the information! The serial number in the cylinder starts with 719**.

Although it is obvious that this revolver has been well-loved and well-used, it is neat to know that it may be a collector's item. Here nor there, unless my husband and I find out that it is immensely valuable (unlikely considering the relatively young age of the revolver) we plan on getting much use out of it at the range. I have fired it a few times and it is a real delight!

Still, we will continue our search to find out as much as we can. This has turned out to be an adventure.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:06 AM   #5
stevieboy

Does your serial number have the letter "M" as a prefix? According to the Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson, a model 63 with an "M" prefix and a serial number beginning with numbers running between 600xx and 999xx would have been manufactured between 1973 and 1977. But, inasmuch as the Model 63 was first manufactured in 1977 that would strongly suggest that 1977 was the manufacture date of the specific gun that you own.

Another way of telling might be to look at the model number of the gun that is often stamped just over the serial number. Smith and Wesson indicates changes in its designs by putting a dash and a number after a model number. For example if your gun is a "63-1" that would mean that it's the first model change after the original model. But, if all you see is the number "63" that would make it the original version of the gun. If so, that would also likely correspond with a 1977 date of manufacture.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Smaug

Very nice piece, BCTQ.

As ammo continues to increase in price, it will only get more valuable. Both for shooting and collecting.

I'll be careful not to show this pic to my wife.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old July 29, 2008, 08:34 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Thanks for the resource and the information! The serial number in the cylinder starts with 719**.
The person who told you to look inside the cylinder gave you misleading information. Some S&W's have the serial number printed here (notably Magnum-caliber K and L frames) but J frames generally do not.

The definitive place for the serial number on a postwar S&W is on the butt of the grip frame. The number you found is an assembly number, which was used to keep the components of the gun together on the assembly line. It is arbitrarily assigned and became meaningless once the gun left 2100 Roosevelt Avenue.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:06 AM   #8
BCTargetQueen

Awesome!

You are, as a collective, an impressive wealth of information. This is very cool.

The serial number on the butt of the grip frame is M120***. This S&W is simply a Model 63. From what I could gather, S&W did not hyphenate the 63's.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:21 PM   #9
dispatcher

That is a very nice looking revolver. Put some Tyler T grips on it to finish it out and enjoy it.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:44 PM   #10
ltdave

very nice little pistol...

ive got its blued brother a model 34-1...
Old July 29, 2008, 11:00 PM   #11
roy reali

Don't Shoot It!!!

Those guns are known to spontaneously explode. As a public service I will take that revolver off your hands at no cost to you. Heck, I'll cover shipping. Just PM me to exchange FFL dealer information.
Old July 29, 2008, 11:36 PM   #12
BCTargetQueen

Nice Try

Roy,

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.

Tags
.22 lr , revolvers , s&w , smith and wesson