The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 19, 2005, 09:08 PM   #26
Harry Bonar

Dear Dave, buddy

Dear Dave:
There is nothing more loyal than a good dog; there was a time in my life after my son Joe Bonar of NOVAKS was killed Aug 24, 03, when my lazy 95# australian shepherd seemed like my only friend and confidant.
Dogs get to know you (few church goers do, or care) and Brownie and I are as tight as we can be; he's 9 years old now and I can't bear to think of something happening to him. My son Joe had an airdale (OLD PHIL) - he was hit by car and Joe had to put him down - we have a little shrine in the field Joe built for him - dogs are special and I know your dog is too. It's a shame people can't at least act like dogs!
Your checkering is very nice, Joe could do it but I've never had the guts to try it! Good work Dave and I hope when time catches up with us both our dogs will share our gravesight - love you Dave!
Harry B.
Old April 19, 2005, 09:31 PM   #27
Jammer Six

Bill, inverted checkering is no further away than your mailbox!

Old April 19, 2005, 11:22 PM   #28
Dave Sample

You are absolultely right about Dawgs, Harry. Fellina is a little over four now. I picked her out after another little girl died at the hands of a careless driver. I watched her get hit, ran to pick her up and she bit right through my left thumb while I was trying to help her. I got her to the Vet and then went to VA to take care of the bite. She took three weeks to die and the morning she died on the operating table was one of the worst in my life. The Vet Bill was $2200.00 but I would have paid a lot more to save her. Saturday I went to the Humane Society and picked out this dawg and picked her up on my 69th birthday! She is with me every minute and every morning her head is on my pillow waiting to start another day in Paradise. I don't know why we give our hearts to a dawg to tear, but we do. They just don't last long enough to suit me. I fifgure it's about a 5 dawg lifetime Harry. We are Blessed!
Old April 20, 2005, 03:21 PM   #29
Bill Z

Quote:
Jammer Six Bill, inverted checkering is no further away than your mailbox!
Pony up with the info Jammer, I'm not sure who, how, or how much. Can you give me the details on that? What has been your experience with this type of checkering or the process, or the people who do it? I would really like to hear your success rate and reasons behind it, or find out if you are trolling.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:06 PM   #30
Dean Taylor

Slide checkering either standard type or reverse is easier to grasp than grasping grooves/seratioms for my hands thus I used it on my SS01. I first saw reverse checkering when I visited Dave's shop 3 years ago. As has been posted it is expensive to have done.

Jammer please educate me about your experience with reverse checkering. Do you do it yourself? Have you done it to Titanium received? How did it turn out?

Dean
[email protected]
410-952-7848
Old April 21, 2005, 02:34 AM   #31
Jammer Six

I'm flattered, guys.

Really.
Old April 21, 2005, 08:26 AM   #32
Bill Z

Quote:
Jammer Six I'm flattered, guys.
May I ask, over what? I'm just lookoing for some info I thought you could expound on based on your post, I guess it's your little secret.
Old July 1, 2005, 01:40 PM   #33
BigG

Checkered Front Grasping Grooves

Attached is a (pi$spo0r) picture of a 1902 Model Colt 38 ACP with the forward checkering I mentioned up above.

I know this is old but some of you will probably be interested. Picture courtesy of Wildalaska.

http://thehighroad.org/attachment.ph...chmentid=19208
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 1, 2005, 09:06 PM   #34
Dave Sample

Well here is mine, courstesy of Dave Sample aka: Captain Eagle.