The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2001, 11:54 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The thing to always keep in mind is that we as mostly "sport" hunters can only hunt if there is a surplus of game animals. Here, I'm using the term "surplus" to mean that the total population is greater than needed for species survival. It can also be used with respect to the carrying capacity of the land.

An Audubon Society birder can get a huge thrill from just seeing one of a few remaining members of an endangered species. The hunter has a far more difficult responsibility, in that he must ensure species survival so that the surplus exists.

Without assigning any moral value, remember that the hunter and the gardener are do-it-yourselfers in acquiring food. Otherwise, we're just hiring others to do our scut work for us. Food is food is food: How it's acquired is an individual matter.

And a Ho, ho, ho! to all,

, Art
Old December 24, 2001, 01:00 PM   #27
cuerno de chivo

"No Flame intended, but i've seen coyotes hunted with dogs, and considered those that do pretty lame. "

I think that it's neater than hell myself and consider opponents to it lame.
Old December 24, 2001, 03:49 PM   #28
H&H,hunter

Rich,
We have had guys that've hunted sheep all over the world tell us that hunting bear or lion off of dogs was the most physically challeneging thing they've ever done. Many times we'll hunt all day and get so far from the trucks or the horses that we'll have to siwash out for the night with just what you've got with you. Dog hunting is not as it seems and I'd invite any disbelievers to try it before they cast judgement on this unique and difficult form of hunting.
I've heard many statements as to the negatives of dog hunting before a hunt. I've yet to have had anyone scoff at it after a few days in the field with a pack of hounds.
Old January 1, 2002, 10:19 AM   #29
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Reckon it depends on where you have your deer stand. I've often heard that deer don't look up...the deer look right at you in the stand where I hunt. I've watched deer move past my stand through a broomsage field 70 yards in front of me...see them fine through the binoculars. Take the binoculars away and...what deer?

There's a buck that walks by me every year several times...five minutes before legal time. Leaves his sheds in front of my stand in February. I personally don't find the scoped rifle to be that much of an advantage. Where I hunt it's more of an equalizer.
Old January 1, 2002, 01:37 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"The way I do it is the only way to do it!" is a common human trait. It holds in hunting as well as in music, politics or religion.

Art
Old January 2, 2002, 11:32 AM   #31
ahenry

Quote:
We were about 40 miles outside of Santa Fe in Pecos. National Forest area.
Ah Pecos! Absolutely my favorite backpacking location, bar none. Others come close, but I LOVE the Pecos Wilderness. I have been to both the Pecos Wilderness and Philmont Scout Ranch (same basic mountain range) and I had no idea you could hunt there. I always thought the National Forrest was a protected area. No? Done a little fly-fishing in some of the streams and that was nice, but to think they have hunting as well! Wow, another reason to go back. As soon as I can get an Appalachian Trail under my belt I will.
Old January 2, 2002, 01:52 PM   #32
Rich Lucibella
Staff

To my knowledge all National Forest is available for hunting...it's the National (and State) Parks that tend to be taboo.
Rich
Old January 2, 2002, 04:07 PM   #33
ahenry

So the distinction is “Parks” vs. “Forrest”? I had no idea there was any difference between them. Been in both of them many times and never picked up on it; don’t I feel sheepish.