The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
baddarryl

Remington Premier Golden Saber?

I have found this to be very well priced defensive ammo when compared to others. In general you you guys consider it to be good defensive ammo? I am looking at 9mm and 357, but if it is good may stock up on 380 and 38 too. Thanks.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Sparks1957

I'm a fan of Golden Sabers... maybe not the newest and most advanced SD ammo out there, but certainly a tried and true brand that is reliable. The price point helps too.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #3
drail

The Golden Saber bullet is a very good design but unfortunately Remington makes some of the worst quality ammunition I have ever seen. And I am not the only person who feels that way. I have been handloading for 25 years now and I will not use their brass or their primers.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Technosavant

I've started using Golden Sabers as my defensive ammo of choice in autoloaders (it feeds a little better than the Winchester PDX1 and is also easier to find and less expensive). I've noticed Remington's Ultimate Home Defense pistol ammo is the exact same thing as the Golden Saber in a different box.

The Golden Saber seems to penetrate and expand very well while also feeding and going bang very reliably. I am no fan of Remington's rimfire ammo, but their centerfire stuff has seemed to be just fine for me.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Xfire68

Hornady XTP's are great and not expensive when you get them loaded from Fiocci or HPR.

I reload my own but have shot a number from these 2 companies and they offer good defensive ammo at a much better price point.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Gaerek

I used to use it because of the price, but then I started reading a lot of bad stuff about Remington's ammo. It might be overblown, it might not be. I'm not going to take my chances when it comes to my carry ammo. I've since switched to Speer Gold Dot.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
BuckRub

never bought the loaded stuff but have bought bullets and reloaded them. But I too would prefer Hornady XTP's. Hornady just makes top of line stuff. But Golden Sabers are allright if you're a reloader.
Old December 6, 2012, 03:56 AM   #8
Crazy88Fingers

I keep the .357s loaded in my house gun. It's a good mild .357 magnum that fills that gap between .38+p and full-blown .357 bear killers.