The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old July 21, 2010, 04:20 PM   #76
Sooka615

deleted.... by myself

Last edited by Sooka615; July 21, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:17 AM   #77
SimplySebastian

Still no response to my ticket with GPal (the phones are as useless as ever) however some people are saying they got checks in the mail on CalGuns. That's a good sign. Once people start posting that the checks have cleared it will be a better one.

On the Action Arms forums someone posted an interesting statistic.

Quote:
The lowest unresolved Gpal support ticket number on the forums is 127793 and the highest number is 904874, that is a total of 777081 unresolved Gpal support tickets that fall in between the highest and lowest numbers posted.
That's A LOT of tickets. About four of those are probably mine.

Nobody's getting a refund for GPal service fees. That would be too complicated. I've only got about $1,100 tied up in this but a few dealers (Elite Ammunition for example) had over $20k owed to them. 3% of $20K is $600 plus interest and any penalties he racked up for not meeting minimum balances, bouncing checks, etc. I'll bet the owner of that company is just happy to be able to make his payroll and buy new supplies, $600 be damned.

I have no idea what GPal's overhead is like or how long they can maintain this hemorrhaging. They probably have close to zero new revenue coming in right now. They most likely rent a tiny office somewhere and they only had one support guy working there for a while. Phones are a new thing for them. They've supposedly hired some new support people but who knows if that's true or not. Ben has lied consistently about GPal (and every other business he owns) so I really don't put much stock into any of that. With their reputation destroyed, I don't see business picking up again in the near term. I wonder how much they can pay out before they go belly up?

Hopefully I (and you) get paid before that happens.

Sebastian.
Old July 22, 2010, 01:31 AM   #78
Kamelkisser

Screwed

Alright, well I did just under 40k in sales ALL through GPal about 2 months ago. It took them nearly 6 weeks to get me 32k of that. In the mean time, I have a month in a half of customers complaining and doing chargebacks.

How Am I expected to ship customers there items if I don't get even some of the money?

Its now going into the 3rd month and I am still waiting on 8k from them. I have been individually promised wire transfers, ACH deposits, and paper checks over the last 4 weeks.

However as of today, they told me that they do not feel "comfortable" giving me my money and that they will be holding all of it until they feel reassured that there will be no chargebacks coming through.

Well no crap there will be. I have orders that are now going into the 3rd month of waiting for there items and I can't ship them without my money.

I am filing Charges with the FBI, FTC, COC, and every state department possible.

Also, for 4 weeks now I have not been able to issue refunds through the GPal system to my customers due to "server errors" Chad even tried to manually process some with no luck and told me I would have to wait for the DEV team to fix the issue.

This is fraud. I don't care what issues you have, not informing your customers whats going on, and not providing a way to refund the transactions is against all FTC and FBI procedures and constitutes fraud.

Good luck everyone you will need it.
Old July 23, 2010, 06:19 AM   #79
SimplySebastian

Another day passes and I have received no response to any of my GPal tickets, the phones are still broken and I've no real indication that I'll get my money back anytime soon. It seems that a few people on CalGuns and Auction Arms have got their checks and that they're good. That's nice to hear. Now if I could only get GPal to communicate with me. I'll be attempting a new post on CalGuns tomorrow. Hopefully that post with my name, ticket number and a request that they call or PM me won't be deemed too offensive and deleted like the last one.

Auction Arms' response to all this has been interesting. They were GPal's first big "grab." They recommended GPal heavily to all their members and made GPal their preferred payment method. Now that GPal is in the toilet, Auction Arms is being very cautious in separating itself from GPal. Many of Auction Arms long time sellers have a ton of money tied up in GPal. These sellers blame Auction Arms for this debacle as they never would have switched to GPal if not for the AA endorsement. Auction Arms won't come out and condemn GPal. All they'll say is that they're working closely with Ben Cannon and they'll get their member's money back.

Auction Arms' strange response to this drama has driven a lot of it's long time sellers to Gun Broker. GPal isn't the preferred anything over there and as a result auction prices seem to be ending a little higher then at AA where people are stuck with the nightmare of GPal.

Auction Arms forum members have also noticed a new phenomenon: People are using the money in their GPal account to buy things as a way of "passing the buck" on to someone else. If I was feeling dickish I could take the $1,100 in my GPal account, purchase something from one of the few dealers left that will take GPal, and essentially pass the disbursement problem on to someone else. I get my stuff and the kindly dealer that sold me my items has to hire bounty hunters to find Ben Cannon. I can keep my purchase or turn around and sell it somewhere and get the bulk of my money back using a functioning on-line payment system like PayPal.

This technique may have worked a while ago but I think I'll have a hard time finding a dealer selling anything I want that will accept GPal.

Finally, the GPal website still implies that all is "business as usual." They've still got over 20,000 users, tickets are still answered in 24 hours or less and PayPal is still shaking in its boots. What a load. Break with character and tell your current and potential customers the truth Ben, your company is totally broken right now and no one should be using GPal until these issues are corrected. Your compuslive lying has gotten you to this point, only the truth can have any hope of fixing things.

Sebastian
Old July 24, 2010, 02:14 AM   #80
SimplySebastian

Another day and nothing new. No check, no response to my tickets and no calls back. My post on CalGuns was deleted, again. The downward spiral is tightening.
Old July 25, 2010, 10:48 AM   #81
cybor462

I see there are issues with gpal. It seems many have had ok dealings. From what I see it seems the big ticket stuff is the trouble.

Ok I am not a gun dealer and sell a spare gun once in a while or when I want a new gun I may sell an unwanted gun. It seems anywhere you can sell a gun the option is gpal.

Have any one time sales gone bad with them.

Heck I do not even know how they work.

I guess I need to check them out if it seems most problems have been fixed.

Any suggestions?
Old July 25, 2010, 11:25 AM   #82
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybor462
Any suggestions?
Yes, a very serious one, you and anyone else responding to this thread needs to be sure to read the forum rules for this particular forum before posting:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336632

This is not a discussion forum, it is a feedback forum for those who are directly involved in the stated topic.
Old July 25, 2010, 11:28 AM   #83
cybor462

Sorry
Old July 26, 2010, 02:23 AM   #84
SimplySebastian

No answered tickets this weekend, no check, no calls. I'm not going to bother posting my ticket number at CalGuns any longer. It just gets deleted and my PMs to GPal staff are apparently ignored.

I've noticed that several brand-new users have popped into the GPal vendor section at CalGuns to "enlighten" those of us who are owed money about the inner-workings of the anti-gun banking system and assure us that we're "lucky" to have people like Ben fighting for our money. Ya, I feel real lucky alright. I hope Kestryl (or whatever the owner's name is at CalGuns) will scrutinize these accounts as thoroughly as he has with all the new posters looking for their money or at least a status update. The talking points and cadence of these pro-GPal posters seem strangely familiar to me.

Ben, if it was impossible to provide this service you probably should have figured that out prior to opening shop. Most importantly, you should stop taking people's money until this is fixed or at the very least until your business is able to communicate effectively.

One thing about the whole GPal, evil anti-2a banks story that does stick out a bit is that GPal has absolutely no problem receiving people's money. I could add $10,000 to my GPal account right now if I wanted. If their banking partners are holding up their ACH transfers or have frozen their accounts why is it that I'm still able to add money to my account? Usually when banks freeze accounts or processors terminate service its a two-way street; nothing in, nothing out. For some crazy reason that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Mal H, you'll be relieved to hear that I'm done posting here for awhile. I've officially written off my $1,100. If I get my money or if anything completely crazy happens I will update this thread.

Sebastian
Old July 26, 2010, 10:02 AM   #85
Mal H
Staff

"Mal H, you'll be relieved to hear that I'm done posting here for awhile."

Your posts aren't a problem. It's those who have no stake in the game or no experience with the subject business who are breaking this forum's rules.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:37 AM   #86
mpthole

I haven't been on TFL for years, but started poking around again now that I too am having issues with GPal. It's not a ton of money compared to some of you guys, but I still had intended to pay bills with it.

My ticket # is in the 231xxx range. No communication, phones inoperable. Just sent them another e-mail wondering where the check is that they promised me.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:50 AM   #87
SimplySebastian

Mpthole; a lot of people have had success going to CalGuns.net and posting your situation in the GPal section of that forum. For the record I haven't had any luck there, all my posts have been deleted but you may be one of the fortunate few that gets through. The ticket and phone systems are a joke. I've never received a meaningful response from GPal using those tools.

As an update still no check and no contact on any of my previous messages and tickets. As I stated before I'm done trying to chase them.

Sebastian
Old July 30, 2010, 11:01 AM   #88
sksmatt

I finally got my Gpal funds but it took a total of 30 days and several email and phone calls to support. Learned my lesson, I'll never use Gpal again :barf:
Old July 31, 2010, 07:20 AM   #89
df662

I have about 1k stuck in my gunpal account, I requested a check from them but still no reply...
Old August 4, 2010, 03:03 PM   #90
langloisandy

2 months +++ no Funds

I have been waiting for 2+ months, I am now getting the "Check is in the mail" excuse.

It is sad to see, the Gpal service HAD a good rep then slid downhill quickly into lies and what I consider theft at this point.

Andy
Old August 7, 2010, 07:06 PM   #91
GoingQuiet

When I got my FFL about two months ago I tried to set up a gpal account.

They said I'd see two small deposits to my account that I'd have to verify to get account set up.

Keep in mind this is TWO MONTHS AGO. Late June/Early July. Checked my bank account religiously. NOTHING.

Yesterday I got 90 cents from gpal.

It sounds like they are getting their system unstuck.
Old August 13, 2010, 09:35 PM   #92
DKA

Had a transaction of money sent to G Pal 6/19/10, went through the same BS as everyone else. On 7/20/10 got an email that check would be in mail within 10 Business Days, as of today no check?
Old August 17, 2010, 10:10 AM   #93
Combat Controller

geez

Well, me as well. It has been a month since I tried to withdraw money and put it in my account. I had used it successfully for a year or more prior but now....

The funds don't show in my gunpal account nor in my bank account. I received one email asking for my mailing address on the 2nd and that's it. As I sit here it has been an hour I have been on hold with these guys.

If I don't get a response to my umpteenth email, I am reporting them to the AG and I suppose the FBI.

I have no idea how they screwed this all up so badly, but I don't know if this is a recoverable event from a business perspective. AS a business owner myself I have had customers mad at me, but I always communicated with them and worked to solve the problem. From my perspective right now, I think this will all end badly and I will never see my money.

Last edited by Combat Controller; August 17, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:32 PM   #94
jonnyballc

Gpal is a criminal enterprise

I've been waiting for $144.00 to be transferred to my account since 7/28. Some guy will answer the phone, but keeps telling me that if I want a paper check, it'll take 3 weeks. I did finally get him to send me an e-mail telling me that my money will be deposited in 2 to 7 days. I'd suggest everyone here expose Gpal's wire fraud to the FTC at 1-877-382-4357. Don't let them get away with this. We need to complain!!!
Old August 20, 2010, 11:38 AM   #95
foghorn leghorn

my good gunpal experiences

I have had 2 transactions with gpal this year, both times utilizing my credit card to pay for a handgun, over 400.00. I have had zero problems, and it was very smooth.

I think feedback should also be positive, not just negative.

stay sharp
Old August 20, 2010, 12:23 PM   #96
zxcvbob

Foghorn, the question is, did the people you made the payments to ever get the money? Or did they just get a credit in their account? A credit is fine, until you try to retrieve the funds and then can't.

(it's like the Hotel California for money)

Some people do seem to be getting their money; that's a good thing.
Old August 20, 2010, 12:39 PM   #97
Combat Controller

finally

Well after a number of back and forth emails I finally put down an ultimatum, Fed Ex or ACH by Friday or I report you to the AG and FBI. No fee's charged etc.

I got a deposit yesterday of my balance, less the fee's of course. But I have finally withdrawn all my money, albeit more than a month later.

I posted this here so those who have not gotten it can try to leverage their cash out of them and have a chance of success. To GPal's credit they took me seriously (and I was) and did the right thing eventually. Still no communication, but I now have the funds so I consider it closed except for the sport of trying to get my fees refunded.

There is still the matter of it happening in the first place, the bad communication, and so outright lies that took place in our communications, such as I never sent my address to them, after I had several times. Pure delaying tactics. Honesty is the best policy and this is a prime example of why.

To those of you out there still waiting, good luck!
Old August 20, 2010, 01:06 PM   #98
Onward Allusion

Man, I feel lucky that I only have $33.50 stuck in limbo. Too long to describe here but it's been almost 2 months! Of course the seller won't send me my stuff because he didn't get the money from GPal but it's already been deducted from my account. Never again...
Old August 20, 2010, 02:00 PM   #99
foghorn leghorn

Quote:
Foghorn, the question is, did the people you made the payments to ever get the money? Or did they just get a credit in their account? A credit is fine, until you try to retrieve the funds and then can't.
I assume they did, they asked for gunpal, and shipped the pistolas to me.
My CC was charged with no extra nonsense. I was worried on the first one, when I opened my account, but I dont have any funds deposited with them. I do have money in my paypal, but never had any problems with them either.
I mean Gpal was created to use for firearms, because PP was discriminating against us.
So we use our own and its a disaster. I use GB a lot, a lot for me anyways, and I dont mind chucking in a 2% fee if that is what the seller is getting clipped for, but I sometimes think between shipping, and all the other mumbo jumbo, it's all BS to get extra $$ from the buyer. If I send you $ on PP, why would they charge you extra? I get that a lot, the guy says I take PP but they charge me extra, so you have to pay the fees. I think its bull.
I also don't like risking my $ on a money order and mailing it in the PO. So for me it's worth the 7 or 9 bucks to get the item shipped the day I bought it, especially a used pistol, Im curious about anyway. Then you have all the FFL guys jumping on the bandwagon, one charges 10 to call it in one charges 4, then cabelas charges if you use the gun counter to do the transfer, but the gun library doesn't charge. one FFL wont call it in until it is acquired, and one will call it in when you fill out the forms.
There is no standard way of controlling your interests, everybody's out to get some, and some of these guys aren't anything but employees, so why do they care one way or the other.

I think these are valid points when considering any benefits of using Gpal.
vs the snail mail or creditcards

God help the USA, we need it.

Last edited by foghorn leghorn; August 20, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 20, 2010, 02:07 PM   #100
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn leghorn
sorry admin, but I think these are valid points when considering using Gpal.
They are indeed. I'm not sure what the implication of that statement is. The Staff of TFL is not involved in this discussion, but we are deeply involved in keeping it on track, and having everyone adhere to our forum rules.
Closed Thread