The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2013, 08:19 PM   #1
armoredman

Love a productive day.

Well, more like an afternoon, yesterday afternoon to be precise. Got an itch to make some more of these,

So 4 hours with the lead pot, pan lubing in a tiny little sardine can on the stove, and here we are. I like the left to right contrast.

Loaded up 50 of them today before the obligatory "running around". Certainly not very productive compared to the big boys, the volume casters and progressive loaders, but I had fun.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Beagle333

That's a good lookin' bullet! I like the smaller volume..... by the time I get through pan lubing, and sizing and loading with my hand press.... I feel like I know each one personally.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #3
res45

Nice bullets there armoredman,how do the lighter weight bullet shoot? I cast and shoot the Lee 160 gr. TL bullet in my SKS and Mosin rifles.

Cooler weather is starting to come around so it will be time to make some ingots from all the various kinds of lead I gathered up this year and cast up a bunch of different bullets to add to the stash.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
armoredman

This particular slug/load shoots quite well!

I was lucky to find a guy who was selling this mold cheap at a time when I actually had money. NOE made the thing, mold is marked 314 SP 129 grain. I size to .311 when i gas check 'em.
With the a hard alloy i have, it doesn't lead any barrels, not even the gas tube in my SA vz-58, making it a great gas gun cast bullet. Yes, all are loaded on a single stage press, so I get to know them as individuals, too.
Old October 10, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Vance

Fun is what it's about. If your not having fun, it's not a hobby. And if you do this for a living, you should still be having fun.

Nice looking bullets.
Old October 10, 2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Rangefinder

I've never been good at casting or loading volume either. I'm always too interested or busy tweaking the things I've already done to see what else I can squeeze out of a particular load, alloy, bullet, etc. If I load too big a volume I tend to stumble onto something I like even better right afterward...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.