The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Photofreestyle

Question about a 1951 FN 30-06.

Local gun store has on in stock, and asking 500 bucks for it. Heres the deal, it say on the tag that it was produced for a national guard. All numbers match, bolt is turned down - not straight out, wood is pristine, and everything is nickel, even down to the butt-plate. It does have the ABL and Lords crest as well. I have been looking all over online, trying to find any info about a national guard, or palace guard version in nickel, but no luck at all. The thing thats intriguing me a little, is that there is still dried cosmoline on it, so if its truly nickel, or polished, it was done before shipping. Any info? Its a beautiful gun none-the-less
Old December 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #2
bumnote

I have one a Model 1950 it's a real nice Mauser. IMO the price is very good for what I've seen them going for online lately, in conditions less than you describe.
I think I read somewhere ceremonial rifles were nickel finished...but I can't find any info online to back that up. M1950's in general aren't as well documented as other models.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Photofreestyle

So $500 is a fair price, even if it turns out to be a non ceremonial rifle?
Old December 11, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
bumnote

I think so. The ones I've seen online lately have been north of $600, when you can find them.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Photofreestyle

Im going back up there this afternoon, and talk to the guy again. He has told me he had seen some on the auction sites going for 700+, and thats how they determined it was a guard,palace, or presentation rifle. Might even call up FN and see if they can give me any info on it as well. Either way, its a nice,clean gun, and I will probably get it, if its still up there, but didnt want to buy it because if the story he had told me.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
gak

I'd say go for it. I had a 1951 FN ,270 my father had made when stationed in England - ordered it custom built in Belgium and stocked (very nice but understated) in Germany where he picked it up when under assignment in Wiesbaden. Alas, it was stolen several years ago. A real loss. Also turned down bolt - or more Model 70 like I guess you'd say. Can't beat an old FN. Definitely one of those "don't make 'em like they used to" guns. Does it say chrome-molly (IIRC) on the barrel?
Old December 13, 2012, 02:27 AM   #7
lefteyedom

Would you be happy paying $501 for the rifle? Then buying it for $500 is a deal

I