The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 24, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
yakfish

Canadian gun owners

I am a Canadian living in Ohio. I will be moving back to Ontario in a couple months. what are the laws about bringing guns into Canada from the states? And Is it legal to own handguns in Canada? What license do I need to own or purchase hand guns in canada? I am aware of the PAL but is there anything else that I would need?
Old July 24, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
hermannr

You probably needed to start your paperwork about 6 months ago if you are talking about handguns. Yes, you can have a pistol, rifle, shotgun in Canada. The rifle and shotgun are a lot easier now that the registry is gone, but pistols are still a pain.

Nothing under 4" barrel (actually a bit over 4" as the requirement is in cm) but basically 4". There are a whole passel of "prohibited" pistols (basically any weapon with a barrel length of less than 4" and just about anything in 25 cal or 32 cal.

There is an RCMP web site...the link here is to a site for US going to Canada...but lots of good info and links... http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/#att
Old July 25, 2012, 04:07 PM   #3
carguychris

I would recommend starting here:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/i.../index-eng.htm
Quote:
Nothing under 4" barrel (actually a bit over 4" as the requirement is in cm) but basically 4".
IMHO it's important to emphasize the exact regulated length: 105mm or 4.14". This excludes many, many older American service pistols and revolvers. However, if you look at the specs closely, you'll notice that many currently-produced so-called 4" handguns actually have barrels 4.2"-4.3" long; gunmakers often do this so they don't have to produce a special version for Canadian export!
Old July 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
samoand

Keep in mind: Canadian law is very strict when it comes to transporting handguns (long arms are much easier). Just a heads up, I don't know the exact process, find out for yourself. Something about notifying authorities of your exact route and time of travel. To the extent that you can't afford to break schedule, even through no fault of yours (i.e. at the customs or to mechanical problems)
This is assuming you have all your other permits in place.