Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 31, 2012, 10:06 AM   #1
hangglider

Security of Firearms

NA

Last edited by hangglider; January 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: not serious
Old January 31, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Patriot86

Stealth is #1 in warfare as it is in hiding your valuables. I would consider building a false room, a false wall in the back of a closet or something like that to conceal the fact you have a safe there. I live in a condo but right now the plan is to basically create a false wall in the corner three feet of a closet and stash my guns back there in a small safe. If they can't see it, they can't steal it.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
MTT TL

I don't normally share my home security strategy on the internet but I have one I am really proud of now. I have undetectable electric shock traps everywhere my guns are. Even touching one without disarming it first will result in immediate incapacitation, sterilization and possibly genitalia falling off.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Nitesites

Bwahahahaha!
Old January 31, 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Sparks1957

To MTT TL: That is brilliant! I think we would all love to hear how you built and perfected that system
Old January 31, 2012, 04:44 PM   #6
g.willikers

But you forgot the steel cage door, that drops down from the ceiling, and traps the thief in the room.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Irish B

I leave all my guns loaded with a string rigged up to the trigger so if anyone tries to grab them theyll get their head blown off! Hows that! Guns that protect themselves! In all seriousness unless you have a collection of automatics or high end african side by sides do you really need THAT much gun security?
Old January 31, 2012, 04:52 PM   #8
markj

Quote:
I don't normally share my home security strategy on the internet but I have one I am really proud of now. I have undetectable electric shock traps everywhere my guns are. Even touching one without disarming it first will result in immediate incapacitation, sterilization and possibly genitalia falling off.
You really need to market these, you will make millions....
Old January 31, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
MTT TL

Quote:
You really need to market these, you will make millions....
I would but I worry about liability issues....
Old February 1, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
ltc444

Irish B. If you were serious about the strings, I would check your state laws. Your system could meet the Legal definition of a spring gun. Spring guns are generally illegal and could get you in a world of hurt.

One of the neatest nonlethal systems I have ever heard of used by a former AF special operator.

He obtained a surplus air craft photoflash unit. It put out about 10 million candles.

When his storage shed was being broken into on a regular basis, he rigged the unit go off when the door was opened. The unit took about 10 seconds to charge and he had switch to deactivated it when he opened the door.

About 2 weeks after he installed the unit someone broke in and the unit went off. His neighbor. about two doors up, suffered from temporary blindness.

He never had another breakin.
Old February 3, 2012, 03:34 PM   #11
markj

Quote:
Just place a warning like on ciggs.....
Old February 4, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

A decent locked storage valut will do the trick if the thief/s are not looking to do that much to get the contents out. Especialy if you do not have the tools afound to break into it.

A family friend that owns several rental properties had a case where the police had the wrong storage building number on a search warrant. They went into his sroarage unit where he had a safe. He also had a lot of his tools in there too. They used his tools to break open the safe, instead of calling a locksmith. Well when it was discoved how they screwed up. They did pay to replace the broken safe. (BTW there was nothing in it.) It took them 2 and a half hours to get it open.
Old February 4, 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
MTT TL

Quote:
Just place a warning like on ciggs.....
Yeah but I would get sued by every gun shop commando who thought the system was disarmed. The same guy who insists that guns are never loaded.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Mainah

One of my worst fears is walking into my house and looking down the barrel of my hd shotgun in the hands of an intruder. I put a lot of time and effort into designing and building a hidden compartment within a wall. I was really proud of my work.

Then I spoke with a friend who has decades of LEO experience and proudly described my project. He said; "that'll work great if a couple of kids break in, but a pro is going to have a stud finder and he'll find that right away."

Now I'm looking for a safe.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Nitesites

I'm still partial to MTT TL's idea...
Old February 12, 2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Mainah

Quote:
I'm still partial to MTT TL's idea...
Well that's obvious. The only improvements that I'd suggest would be that the criminals credit record would be ruined and that I could also use his method on people who tailgate.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:28 AM   #17
federali

Is it Practical?

I know many of you are joking but it's worth knowing that any form of trap which inflicts injury or imprisons the intruder will result in a civil suit against you and maybe even criminal charges. Bottom line: intruder now owns your residence.

A few things: get a good safe and keep it out of view. conceal it if you can and if it weighs less than 400 pounds or so, it should be anchored to a concrete floor. If there's excess room, add a few hundred pounds of lead ingots to it. Put safe where necessary strangers like oil burner repairmen, roto-rooter guys, the cable guy, the plumber etc, will not likely encounter it.
Add a professional security system to your residence.
Learn and follow all the advice offered to make your residence less tempting to random burglars. If you have a workshop, move all tools that could be used to attack the safe into the garage or a locked tool shed.
Add a decoy safe. Not quite as well hidden as your real safe, the objective is to cause intruders to waste precious time trying to open or make off with the decoy.

Where possible, never store valuables, guns safes in master bedroom. A $99.00 Home Depot Sentry wall safe bolted to studs in a closet would make an ideal decoy safe. If you don't have a basement, intruders often completely overlook children's rooms, hitting the master bedroom first. If they "find" something, they may not look any further.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:46 AM   #18
hangglider

Great advice federali which I have pretty much followed with one exception--if the safe isn't in the master bed where I am--that means it's less likely to be accessible to me in an emergency?
Old February 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #19
hangglider

How ironic--my Barska biometric safe which I've owned for all of 2 weeks and worked fine until this morning no longer works. It successfully scans and recognizes the print--but won't unlock. Looks like this will become my $300.00 decoy safe.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Nitesites

Ouch! That's one big, expensive paperweight! I've read enough good and bad about those biometrics that I've concluded they are too much of a hit-or-miss for me to purchase and rely on.
Old February 13, 2012, 01:34 PM   #21
hangglider

Yup--you would think after all the cheap crappy optics that are made in China that I've wasted my money on I would have learned my lesson by now (the safe is China made too). I'm thinking maybe fill the safe with all the cheap optics and leave the back door unlocked one day--might get some insurance money back for expensive junk. The other day a Sharp carousel microwave I had turned itself on without my pushing any buttons and proceeded to melt itself down--it was only because I was home at the time the house didn't possibly burn down. It too is made in China.
Old February 13, 2012, 07:36 PM   #22
FAS1

Quote:
That's what liability insurance is for. How much different is it than a taser?
Old February 13, 2012, 07:41 PM   #23
MTT TL

Quote:
How ironic--my Barska biometric safe which I've owned for all of 2 weeks and worked fine until this morning no longer works. It successfully scans and recognizes the print--but won't unlock. Looks like this will become my $300.00 decoy safe.
I would send it back if I could. There is a lesson here about Barska products. They are really cheap, but cheap is not often better.