The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
gunney 67

birchwood casey "sheath"

has anyone else noticed that these high tech rust inhibitors like Sheath cause bluing to turn a reddish cast on some bluing. I'm pretty sure about my suspicions If so, doesn't the company have some liability here?
Old July 25, 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Daniel BOON

I use sheath all the time

but I haven't noticed anything like that; I would think if you could prove it was the sheath, they would be liable.
Old July 25, 2008, 04:12 PM   #3
gunney 67

i was using it to wipe a LEUPOLD 12x scope down as well as guns, and noticed the scope tube turned red except under the slip-on scope covers where the sheath never got to. So far I have a S&W 19 that the bbl and cyl have turned; a kimber slide;a citori frame; a ruger m-77 receiver. It seems to affect only some bluing, maybe based on age or time in the bluing tank, can't be sure. But needless to say, I'm not a happy camper. If I'm right, this could be a big issue. It is with me at least. I thought about confronting the company, but without evidence I,m sure they would deny liability. Any help would be appreciated. I believe Gun Tests may have done something on this a few years ago.
Old July 25, 2008, 04:50 PM   #4
steveno

I have never seen this on my Ruger #1's
Old July 25, 2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Ledbetter

You can remove all the Sheath with acetone from metal. THe metal should then be whatever color it was before.

A lot of scopes are rubber-covered. Sheath is not meant for rubber.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old July 25, 2008, 06:03 PM   #6
steveno

I remember when I worked at Cabela's about every other month we wiped every gun down with "Sheath" to protect them from all of the handling.
Old July 25, 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
i was using it to wipe a LEUPOLD 12x scope down as well as guns, and noticed the scope tube turned red except under the slip-on scope covers where the sheath never got to.
Leupold scopes have aluminum tubes, so they are not blued, they are anodized. Exposing anodized aluminum to hi-UV light can cause themto fade or discolor, but I doubt it's the Sheath.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:03 PM   #8
gunney 67

reply to scorch

I realize it's anodized aluminum. It is an older scope I had on a Sako 222 rem. that spent most of it's time in a gun safe. Sheath is a new generation of rust preventatives that have a polarization quality I don't fully understand. I'll keep monitoring the thread. Thanks for the input.
Old July 25, 2008, 07:46 PM   #9
gunney 67

reply to Ledbetter

Thanks' but this appears to be a permanent chemical change in the bluing. On the Mod 19 S&W I can see a narrow area on the barrel where the rag transitioned from the frame to the barrel where the bluing is unchanged. This is right by the front of the frame, on the bbl./ frame junction. I'd sure like to get ahold of that Gun Tests article. I never subscribed. I just remember that they said that the new generation of rust inhibitors had them seeing red.... literally!