The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 29, 2014, 09:15 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Leupold Rings question...

so... I've been redoing some scopes on my rifles, & in doing so, I've bought 3 new sets of Leopold rings & bases, from Cabelas... Cabelas doesn't always have the best prices, but I noticed that these rings have the Leupold logo stamped / engraved into the top of them, & none of my other Leupold rings do... one set is new, but plain, that I bought from another place... perhaps it was older stock, & all their new rings have the logo ???

anyone know, if they are making 2 grades of their standard rings ??? one for higher end retailers, that have the logo, & a cheaper set, that are plain for cheaper retailers, or if all their new production have the logo ???

normally I wouldn't care, but 2 of the rifles I'm scoping up are my new JOC tribute Winchester 70, & a Remmy 700, 100th anniversary of the 30-06, so I'm happy to have the Leupold logo rings on those since both will wear Leupold scopes, but some of the other rifles will wear other brands of glass, so the logo doesn't do anything for me, & in fact, I might prefer a plain top to my rings, if they have a Burris, Nikon or other scope...

thoughts ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 29, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

so I did post the question to Leupold customer service, will post when I hear back from them...
Old January 29, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Freakdaddy

I just bought a pair of rings a couple of months ago that had the Leupold logo stamped in them and tastefully done. My guess is nothing more than a design change and that's what they are going with now as it wouldn't be cost effective to do some with and some without the logo. I'm sure the other ones you bought were exactly that...older stock. I'm a big Leupold fan and that is what all my scopes and even mounts are so the logo is a nice touch. The great thing is there are plenty of good makers of mount systems out there so you have a wide choice to pick from should you want rings with no one's logo embossed
Old January 31, 2014, 01:38 AM   #4
mike8mm

Hello,
I purchased the samei rings from the market a couple of weeks ago
And cmalledj the lequpold and they told me thlat thesje are rings manufactured in the last year, I nouticed that tehe torx threads that came withk thet rings had a kind of blue colour at the end of threads and asked them about it too, they toold me that iet is anti-seyizei compound.
I like these rings better than the previuse plain ones.
Mike
Old January 31, 2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Sierra280

They told you that blue stuff was anti-seize? I pick up some rings and a base last year. I was a little disappointed that neither had the leupold logo and I didn't use any locktite because I figured that blue stuff was a factory thread locker (see it all the time on cars).
Old January 31, 2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra280 View Post
They told you that blue stuff was anti-seize? I pick up some rings and a base last year. I was a little disappointed that neither had the leupold logo and I didn't use any locktite because I figured that blue stuff was a factory thread locker (see it all the time on cars).

That'd be my guess as well, we use a lot of 3M compounds that are applied as thread lockers.
Old January 31, 2014, 11:43 PM   #7
mike8mm

Yes, same here, I thought that it is a kind of thread locker too, but after they told me it is not, I used nail polish on threads.

I still have their email but I am still not sure if ithis blue thing is a kind of glue or what, sometimes the staff over the computer are not knowledgable people even though they call them 'experts'!

To add more confusion to this; the instructions that came with the rings (and base too) says that you dont need a thread locker with Torx screws!??? Just add a bit of gun oil to the threads to be able to drive the screw to the max torque and you are ok!!!???

I would expect a small note come with products when there is a new change, or at least a note on their website, specially a big manufacturer like leupold that we all trust.

I have not tested my new scope to see if this thing come loose over the time or not, but I think one need dozens of recoil cycles to see.

Last edited by mike8mm; February 1, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Kimber84

Leupold Rings question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8mm View Post
Yes, same here, I thought that it is a kind of thread locker too, but after they told me it is not, I used nail polish on threads.

I still have their email but I am still not sure if ithis blue thing is a kind of glue or what, sometimes the staff over the computer are not knowledgable people even though they call them 'experts'!

To add more confusion to this; the instructions that came with the rings (and base too) says that you dont need a thread locker with Torx screws!??? Just add a bit of gun oil to the threads to be able to drive the screw to the max torque and you are ok!!!???

I would expect a small note come with products when there is a new change, or at least a note on their website, specially a big manufacturer like leupold that we all trust.

I have not tested my new scope to see if this thing come loose over the time or not, but I think one need dozens of recoil cycles to see.

If it's a dry blue patch on the threads then that's a "locking" agent. I have seen a slippery blue substance on screws before too though, that appears to be some sort of lube.

Highly unlikely any manufacturer is going to put out a notice if/when they apply thread locker to any piece of hardware, unless it is a safety issue.

The reason they probly put the note about not needing thread locker is cause some bozo probably permanently bonded the screws to the rings w JB Weld.. Lol

Last edited by Kimber84; February 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:07 AM   #9
mike8mm

It is dry, and more like a thick paint maybe a few thou's thick, I guess the reason they suggest gun oil is to ease the tightening process, it is like a hard but sticky glue when tightening.
Old February 5, 2014, 11:40 AM   #10
mike8mm

Hello magnum wheel man,
Did you receive any new information from leupold?
Old February 5, 2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I never heard anything from Leupold ??? have to assume all new rings have the logo, & any old stock may not... got to admit, I had hoped to at least hear a date they started doing it, so I could guess as to the type of rings I'd get from a supplier, that I might order off the net, where I can't look at them in person before purchase...
Old February 5, 2014, 03:13 PM   #12
mike8mm

Here is their email in reply to my question I received a couple of weeks ago, its a bit ambiguous but maybe it helps a bit:

Mike,

You are correct, any ring manufatured in the last year have Leupold logo on them.

Stephen Sharon
Old February 5, 2014, 03:28 PM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks...that offers me at least some insight...