The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2016, 12:53 PM   #1
GC556

Beretta Storm FTF Issue

I have an issue with my Beretta storm PX full-size 40 Cal. I bought the gun a couple months ago and don't think I even have 500 rounds in it. When I first started shooting it I had absolutely no issues the first couple hundred rounds. After that I started noticing a few failure to feed issues but just thought maybe I was doing something wrong? As I shot the gun more it began happening nearly every single round. The last time I fired the gun a few days ago I had about a dozen failure to feed's per 15 rounds. Last night I was trying to troubleshoot the issue by putting rounds in the chamber to see exactly what was going on. Right now I am at a loss, I researched everywhere online found others that had the same issue but with no real solid fix aside from sending it back to the manufacturer. I have been extremely gentle with this gun, every time I go to the range I clean and lube it right after. I have uploaded a few photos and was hoping someone may have some troubleshooting suggestions. It looks like the round is getting caught on that hook like piece near the opening where the rounds are ejected. I have tried with many different Brands of ammunition and the same exact problem occurs despite what ammo I am using. I should add that every time I try to rack a round into the chamber by pulling the slide all the way back and letting it slam shut it gets jammed. Not only that but also while I am firing the gun it will jam on its own, this is not a weak hand issue. I am planning on contacting Beretta but thought I would check with you guys too. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beretta1.jpg (100.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Beretta2.jpg (63.4 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by GC556; July 8, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 8, 2016, 09:15 PM   #2
B.O.F.H.

That breach face looks filthy. Have you cleaned under the extractor? Might also try a new/different mag.
Old July 8, 2016, 09:47 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

That hook like piece is the extractor. Its role is to pull the fired case out of the chamber and hold it for the ejector. But it looks like the extractor, instead of allowing the case to come up under it, is digging into the case and the extractor is being bent. Depending on several factors, the fix could be as simple as running a file or a stone over the bottom of the extractor to remove burrs, or replacing the extractor, or something else. If you feel adventurous, you might look at the extractor and try a hard stone or a file. If the extractor is bent, though (it looks as if it might be), I would get Beretta involved if it can be done at no cost to you.

Jim
Old July 8, 2016, 10:07 PM   #4
Willie D

Gunked up or bent extractor?
Old July 9, 2016, 02:00 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Some possible causes; there might be some others but this is what comes to mind.
  • Weak recoil spring. Where the round is jamming is sort of a normal "sticking point" in the chambering process. If the recoil spring is weak, it may not be able to power through that point.
  • Excessive friction during the forward movement of the slide. Dirty/dry engagement surfaces between the barrel and locking block. Dirty/dry engagement surfaces between the barrel and slide. The PX4 is a rotating barrel design and there are a lot of engagement surfaces between the barrel & the slide/locking block. If they have gotten dirty or aren't properly lubricated, there could be enough friction to keep the gun from operating properly.
  • Very dirty chamber.
  • Jammed extractor. The extractor needs to be able to swing a little bit to accommodate the chambered round. If there's a lot of accumulation of fouling in the firing pin/extractor channel it might be restricting extractor swing and causing too much friction between the extractor and the case during the chambering process. I wouldn't expect this to happen after only 500 rounds unless the firing pin/extractor channel has been heavily oiled.
  • Damaged/bent extractor. Don't know how that would happen since the extractor is pretty well protected.
  • Some combination of the above.
Old July 9, 2016, 02:56 PM   #6
jglsprings

So when was the last time you cleaned the gun?
Do you run the gun wet or dry? Looks pretty dry and dirty in the picture.
Has anything else changed that you might not of told us about?

Commas save lives...
Old July 10, 2016, 10:53 AM   #7
GC556

I just recently cleaned the gun. I try not to go crazy around the firing pin because I don't want to damage it. I run the gun well lubed but not wet.

I am planning on sending this in to get fixed. Does anyone know where I can find details for shipping a handgun in NJ?
Old July 10, 2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Bart Noir

Welcome to The Firing Line!

You are in New Jersey and must use a 10-round magazine, right? Is that magazine a real Beretta magazine? Have you tried other magazines, by the same or different makers?

Please let us know the outcome, since this is literally the first time I've heard of the Px4 not working all the time. I've got a couple of them and want to know the fix to your problem.

Bart Noir
Old July 10, 2016, 09:44 PM   #9
GC556

I am in NJ. NJ has a 15 round mag limit. Thank you guys for your support. I have browsed this forum for months and really appreciate the knowledge base here, it's been very helpful and you have answered many questions for me. Thank you.
So great news... I have been in contact with a gun smith from beretta and was planning on sending the gun back tomorrow. I am not the type to quit without a fight. A few minutes ago I tried scrubbing the crap out of the area surrounding the firing pin. Every gun cleaning tutorial I have seen cautions this area as the firing pin lives there so I never really cleaned / oiled too hard around this area. Well, I guess I was just not cleaning good enough here. I scrubbed it with a wire brush then tooth brush then oiled. Racked nearly 100 rounds into the chamber without a jam. Today was a good day, caught some fresh flounder and fixed my gun..I am a happy camper. I will be headed to the range tomorrow to confirm this problem has officially been solved. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

Last edited by GC556; July 10, 2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old July 10, 2016, 09:52 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

GC556,

While it is very important to clean in that area, you should avoid oiling that area. Oil should not be introduced into the firing pin channel or extractor channel. It will collect debris and fouling which will eventually cause function problems.

Remove the slide from your pistol and use a product like Gun Scrubber or Powder Blast to blow out the firing pin channel. Wear eye protection and do this outside because it will splatter everywhere.

Hold the little "straw" nozzle against the firing pin hole in the breechface and let fly until the liquid running out around the back of the firing pin and the extractor is clean.
Old July 10, 2016, 10:37 PM   #11
TunnelRat

^ As said, you don't want excess oil in the firing pin channel, but there's nothing wrong with scrubbing the breach face. If a little brass brush just going through that hole could damage the firing pin, we'd be in serious trouble.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 10, 2016, 11:15 PM   #12
redlightrich

Hello, did you drop that gun? I see matching marks on the slide and extractor. It appears that either something hit them or the gun hit something. If this happened, this could be your problem. Extractor may be out of alignment. Also, that gun does not appear clean or gently used based on the pix you posted. Guns work much better when clean.

Good luck

Rich