The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2016, 07:42 AM   #1
wizzamen

Glock 42 + Federal Champion = FTE

I bought a new Glock 42 three months ago and absolutely love it. Only issue I came across is that it does not like the .380 Federal Champion FMJ Ammo from Walmart, constant failures to eject with this ammo. It has ran flawless with Fiocchi FMJ ammo and with Speer Gold Dot standard pressure ammo. This Glock 42 has all the updated parts from Glock including "03" magazines. I believe this issue is only happening because the Federal Champion ammo is underpowered and the Glock recoil spring assembly has heavy springs from the factory compared to other .380's. Though I would never carry target ammo, this issue serves as a reminder to always test your carry ammo with your gun. Anybody else have issues with their Glock 42 and Federal Champion ammunition? Does your Glock 42 hate other types of ammunition?

p.s. I love the Glock 42, very soft shooter and carries great on the waist. If you are thinking of getting one don't let this post cast doubts on buying one, just test your ammo.
Old July 2, 2016, 08:33 AM   #2
wizzamen

Glock 43 on top, Glock 42 middle, Ruger LCP bottom. I like having carry options.

Last edited by wizzamen; July 2, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old July 2, 2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Arkhog

Similar Issues

My Glock 42 (circa early 2015) has two of the 02 mags and a new 03 mag. I haven't tried Federal Champion. I have extensively used Federal American Eagle FMJ ammo because it is widely available in my area.

My results have been mixed. I have had two range sessions where the AE ammo failed repeatedly. I have had other trips to the range with no issues with the same brand and type of ammo. Strange stuff.

Different lots or work shifts or production lines....who knows?
Old July 3, 2016, 12:04 AM   #4
DaleA

So how does the Federal run in the LCP?
Old July 3, 2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Tucker 1371

My fiancee's G42 works well with Hornady American Gunner and Precision One, both loaded with XTP bullets.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 3, 2016, 05:41 AM   #6
wizzamen

Quote:
So how does the Federal run in the LCP?
Funny you mention it, the Federal Champion ran just fine with the LCP. I went back and forth between the 42 and LCP, only the LCP ran reliable with the Federal Champion.