The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 13, 2015, 02:32 PM   #26
reynolds357

Salty dog, have you ever put a lapping bar in a DNZ mount? I did it one time and it surprised me. Unless the one specimen I had was an exception, I would not label them as "no lapping necessary."
Old April 13, 2015, 03:47 PM   #27
Saltydog235

Of the 4 that I have/had, never had to lap one. To this date, through 5 seasons of abuse, they have been great. I just added a 5th to the Savage 10 Precision Carbine facelift I'm doing, we'll see if that one needs it after I get the stock back from the dip job and can assemble and mount the scope. It's going in the new B&C M40 stock for Savage DBM guns and the metal got a Duracoat job in WWII OD Green yesterday.
Old April 13, 2015, 04:38 PM   #28
yo1dog

Forgive my ignorance, but how did you know you didn't need to lap them?
Old July 18, 2016, 11:15 AM   #29
bouree

yo1dog: been a while. curious to see how it went with your scope mount. I have the same scope in mildot, and had Dicks Sporting do the mounting on my Rem 700 SPS Varmint. They tried to use the Weaver Grand Slam in Medium - and it looked like a great fit, but blocked my bolt lever from going in. They tried high, and finally went with extra-high. Used with weaver mount base (2 pcs). They did the bore sighting and I am yet to do my own zeroing.

Not too happy with the scope being so far from the barrel - so if there are other options out there, I would like to give it a try. I understand w the eyepiece of this scope being pretty wide (1.73''), options are gonna be limited.
Old July 18, 2016, 02:48 PM   #30
yo1dog

Thanks for the reminder.

Actually, I have the 700 Varmint SF in .308, not the 700 SPS Varmint. Not sure if this effects your spacing concerns.

I ended up going with EGW's steel, 0 MOA picatinny rail and Leupold's steel 1" low PRW Rings.

The bolt lever does get close to the right side of the scope, but they do not contact. Remind me to send some pictures when I get home.

The Rem 700 Varmint SF is pretty heavy on it's own so the extra weight didn't make that much of a difference to me. Plus I almost always shoot it from rest so weight is not an issue.

Last edited by yo1dog; July 18, 2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old July 18, 2016, 10:56 PM   #31
bouree

Thanks for the quick response. My SPS is chambered in .308, so I am guessing the dimensions should be the same.
I am surprised that the low PRWs worked for you. Perhaps your rail gives it some extra height. Yes - would love to see some pics, esp of the barrel/objective clearance.
Reading your post again, I see my scope is slightly different from yours : it's Monarch 3 4-16x42 (http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...us-mildot.html) but the eyepiece dimension appears to be the same. I used midwayusa.com to find the dimensions.
How's the shooting going so far?