The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2014, 04:55 PM   #1
WVsig

Surplus Beretta M.92S What the deal?

Has anyone else noticed how many of these are hitting the market right now. I have seen them as low as $289 for Good to VG and have even seen some which claim to be unissued.

Anyone own one? Looks like they all have the mag release on the lower part of the frame. Thoughts?

Old November 4, 2014, 05:06 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

I hear you... CDNN has the .40 96D for $300...

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?brand=383
Old November 4, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
Has anyone else noticed how many of these are hitting the market right now.
Not before now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
I have seen them as low as $289 for Good to VG and have even seen some which claim to be unissued.
Where are you seeing these for so little? A quick search of GB reveals only a handful of them, all in the $500 range.
Old November 4, 2014, 05:42 PM   #4
asmith

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/2173/

I think if I was in the market, I put another 3 or 4 hundred with it and buy new. I have never had much luck buying used....

Last edited by asmith; November 4, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old November 4, 2014, 06:18 PM   #5
WVsig

Can't reveals sources until I decide if I want one or not LOL.
Old November 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #6
AustinTX

Quote:
Where are you seeing these for so little? A quick search of GB reveals only a handful of them, all in the $500 range.
They're Italian police trade-ins from Top Gun Supply: http://www.topgunsupply.com/beretta-...e-imports.html
Old November 4, 2014, 06:38 PM   #7
WVsig

Quote:
They're Italian police trade-ins from Top Gun Supply: http://www.topgunsupply.com/beretta-...e-imports.html
That is one of the sources but there are excellent conditions ones at other vendors for the same price. They all appear to be Italian trade ins that went through the Beretta factory. I am seeing guns listed in Good to Unfired condition with a price variance of about $30.

Last edited by WVsig; November 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old November 4, 2014, 07:00 PM   #8
WVsig

Has anyone purchased one of these or own one already? How do they compare to a 92FS?
Old November 4, 2014, 07:39 PM   #9
smee78

The only problem I would have with them is they cant use the newer 92 mags.

Last edited by smee78; November 4, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old November 4, 2014, 07:49 PM   #10
WVsig

It is my understanding that they can used factory mags which have 2 notches but cannot use the aftermarket like Mecgars.
Old November 4, 2014, 07:52 PM   #11
AK103K

How hard would it be to file a notch in the correct place?
Old November 4, 2014, 07:59 PM   #12
WVsig

I have no idea about how hard it would be to modify a mag. I honestly don't know a ton about the 92S variant.
Old November 4, 2014, 08:38 PM   #13
LockedBreech

Why do deals like this happen when I've bought 3 guns in the last month and need to be saving money?
Old November 4, 2014, 08:41 PM   #14
WVsig

Lockbreech tell me about it. I am already over my quarterly limit.
Old November 4, 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
CWKahrFan

Quote:
How hard would it be to file a notch in the correct place?
I've done it successfully before (though not on a Beretta...). I went real slow by hand until I got it just right. Functions fine.
Old November 4, 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
Ibmikey

PSA is advertising them for $289. Plus $17 ship. I ordered one but have no idea of the condition, they have ugly import crap on them
Old November 4, 2014, 09:18 PM   #17
WVsig

Ibmikey they all seem to have the PW Arms import mark which makes sense because they were not imported by Beretta.

Please post pics when you get it. I am interested to see the condition.
Old November 5, 2014, 01:48 AM   #18
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
Ibmikey they all seem to have the PW Arms import mark which makes sense because they were not imported by Beretta.

Please post pics when you get it. I am interested to see the condition.
I second this. Would love some good pics. If mechanics and bore are decent I may have to bite.
Old November 5, 2014, 03:33 PM   #19
WVsig

I talked to my source today and there are NIB guns that have never been issued or shot which can be had for not much more than the VG- Excellent guns being sold by most retailers.

PM for details.

Last edited by WVsig; November 6, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Guv

Make a nice "Range Gun"
Old November 6, 2014, 10:24 AM   #21
WVsig

It will make a nice gun period. These were made back when Beretta still used all metal parts. Back when they still did a nice blue on handguns. These are NIB Italian Berettas at a under $350 OTD price. I spoke with my source for NIB guns and they are truly unissued never shot guns.

Here are a few pics

I also got clarification on the mags. Factory Beretta mags that have the cutout at the base of the mag like this one are what you need. There are also 17 round Mecgars out there that have the notch as well. So there should not be a mag problem with these guns you just have to know which one to buy.

They are available for $20 at Midway and I am sure you can find them cheaper if you poke around a bit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/623...ger-steel-blue

Last edited by WVsig; November 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old November 6, 2014, 12:50 PM   #22
WVsig

There are lots of vendors out there with these guns in stock. Most are selling good to VG guns. There seems to be two exceptions:

My source for these guns is Dan's Ammo in PA. I have bought lots of stuff from Dan over the years and trust his grading of surplus guns. The pics I posted earlier in this thread are of the guns he is shipping. I do not work for Dan and I gain nothing by passing his info along except the his good will and the good will of those who experience his excellent customer service. I just like the guns he sells and the deals he offers are always outstanding. Has decent pricing on ammo as well!

He is selling handpicked NIB guns for $319 + USPS shipping and + transfer. I placed my order today at 10:15 and got shipping/tracking info by 10:55.

http://www.dansammo.com/firearms.asp

It also looks like the 92S at SOG, Southern Ohio Guns, guns are in excellent condition. SOG is selling these for $295 + shipping and + transfer on your end so should be right about $350.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/beret...l-92s-9mm.html

Fellow member madmo44mag picked one up and from the pics looks LNIB if not NIB.

Looks like SOG might come in a little lower depending on how you pay for the purchase and how your FFL is setup with them. I have never ordered from SOG but they have a good rep.

Either way this is a killer deal IMHO. A basically NIB Italian Beretta for under $350 OTD. If you can live with the heel style mag release I suggest picking one up! Will post pics as soon as I get the gun in my hands and will post a range report ASAP!
Old November 6, 2014, 12:59 PM   #23
ninjarealist

On @WVSig's advice I ordered mine from Dan's Gun's at 11:54 and I got the shipping confirmation at 12:23 despite the fact that they'd never done business with my FFL before. The person I talked to on the phone was extremely helpful.
Old November 6, 2014, 02:55 PM   #24
LockedBreech

I also received immediate, prompt communication with Dan's. I ordered one of the NIB 92S models last night and they shipped before 10AM this morning with a real person emailing me.

I will do business with them again.
Old November 9, 2014, 10:55 AM   #25
std7mag

Dan isn't showing these on his website anymore... Think you bought all of them.. lol