The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 31, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
HamMach1

New to forums and guns, shot some at range...

New to the forums and new to guns really.

I jumped right into the world though by going to a local range, brand new, beautiful facility, and tried 5 different handguns. I am looking to purchase but I am not sure what I am looking for, especially since I enjoyed firing every gun I chose. They were:

Glock 19
S&W M&P 9
Ruger SR9
CZ-USA 75B
FNH FNX-9

I was fairly accurate with all of them, and they all felt nice in their own right and all fit in my hand well. I noticed a huge weight difference between the CZ 75B and the FNX-9, it felt like the SR9's recoil was a lot less noticeable than all of the others, and the Glock and Smith were both nice as well. I'm also wanting to check out the Ruger P95 but they didn't offer it at the range.

Just based on my price range (roughly $500 +/- a few bucks) and caliber, do you guys have any recommendations on other guns to shoot? And within the list, are certain of the mentioned guns higher quality than others that are also on it? By the way, I am left handed. I am not really familiar with how different trigger types feels either.

The purpose of this handgun is range shooting and home defense. Granted, I don't intend to own only one but until I purchase another one down the road one will have to suffice.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by HamMach1; November 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
TheNocturnus

Hello and welcome to the forums. Only you can find the right gun for you. You really cannot go wrong with any of the guns on your list. They are all quality firearms and have good reputations.

I carry a Glock 19 concealed every day and use it as both my personal defense weapon and for home defense. I have owned several guns trying to find the right ones but unlike you I did not go to a range and rent them. I wish I did though. Unless you sense some impending doom coming your way, take your time and find what you like best.

It seems you are set on the 9mm cartridge. I think it will serve you well. It is cheap to shoot and very readily available. You will find that the folks on this forum are full of great advice, so stick around.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old November 1, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
tahunua001

Quote:
Glock 19
S&W M&P 9
Ruger SR9
CZ-USA 75B
FNH FNX-9
based on your list I would say you pretty much sampled some of the best of both worlds, double action/single action hammer fired guns(the FNX and CZ75) and the striker fired guns(the rest)

i never much cared for glocks but I tend to shoot them quite well. never have been able to adjust to the M&P trigger, there is no definite reset location on it so I had to completely remove my finger from the trigger(also known as slapping the trigger) just to keep them shooting. I never cared for DA/SA guns after my experiences with the M9 on active duty though models like the Beretta PX4 and Sig Sauer P226. have me warming back up to them. I own the SR9 compact for concealed carry and like it a lot, though in all honesty I have owned better. for the price through I think it's unbeatable.

my personal favorite is the Springfield XDM line of handguns, I've owned 3 of them and love them to death. they take all the strong points of other models like the glock or M&P and throw out the bad points. the only problem I hear that has never even affected me is the fact that the slide can not be racked when the safety has not been disengaged.

another one I have been curious to try but none of my ranges carry it is the FN Herstal FNS. it is very similar to the FNX line but is a striker fired design so you don't have to worry about the different trigger pulls weights of a hammer gun.

as stated above you can try the Sig 226 and Beretta PX4 if you liked the hammer guns.

no list of possible choices would be complete without telling you to look at a 1911 pattern pistol but most ranges only have cheapo Rock Island Armory brand 1911s that tend to be a bit mediocre.

glad to see you having a blast but I would recommend taking a pad and pen with you when you go to the range. I would write a list of pros and cons for every gun you shoot. if there is anything at all that just rubs you the wrong way or makes you giddy as a school girl then write it down, youd be surprised how little things that are barely noticeable in retrospect can sway your decision.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Mosin44az

All those are good choices from good companies. Either toss a coin or choose the Glock 19 (my own home defense gun is a Gen 3 glock 19, by the way, I also own a Ruger SR40c and have owned a CZ 75B).

Especially if you get a Gen 3 Glock, I would rate it somewhat better in quality than the Ruger, my SR40c has been problematic. Although Ruger service is excellent. But for a first/only gun, the Glock has the edge. Smith has great service too, by the way.

Since you are new to guns the simpler Glock may be preferable to the DA/SA FN and CZ, which have two trigger pulls to master, along with having to remember to decock when you are done shooting each time.. It takes time to learn this--I've never really felt comfortable with the two trigger pulls of a traditional DA/SA--one trigger pull is better, especially for a newer shooter.

The CZ as I recall you also have to manually lower the hammer to decock, an additonal complication.

I don't think the CZ has light rail either. For home defense I find the mounted tac light to be much easier to deal with than a flashlight held in the off hand. MUCH easier to shoot accurately. You do have to train and observe all safety measures if you mount the light on the gun--because you are obviously pointing a gun at everything you put the light on, if you mount the light on the gun (which is again, my preference).

The Smith has a good reputation as well, and you might find its trigger more comfortable than the Glock's which tends to irritate me if I shoot hot loads or have a long range session.

Maybe see which you like better, the M & P or the Glock, and go with that.

Springfield XD or XDm would also be good choices, ergonomically better than the Glock. Much better trigger surface, and better grip feel.

The Ruger P95 is also excellent, but again has the issue of the DA/SA trigger.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:40 AM   #5
RBid

You tried some great stuff. Maybe check out a Caracal C and/or Walther PPQ or P99... Maybe a Beretta PX4... XDm.

Lots of 'right' answers. Go with the one that keeps sneaking into your thoughts.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6
HamMach1

The XD and the Walthers are some others I would like to shoot. There are several that come "sneaking into my thoughts" unfortunately I liked them all. I guess I never really noticed whether one was DA/SA or not, probably because I am not familiar with how either single action or double action feels like. I am sure that only comes with experience. I'd like the ability to add a light to whichever I decide in case the house is ever dark and an issue arises. Ambidextrous-ness is important too because again I am left handed. I'll probably shoot a few of the same ones over to really spend time pin pointing the pros and cons of each.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
TailGator

The Beretta PX4 was mentioned a couple of times. You might not find it for rent, because they aren't terribly common for some reason, but it is a pistol worth considering. My daughter has a compact 9mm and it is a very impressive pistol, very accurate, extremely soft shooting, with very nice fit and finish.

I have no real gripes about the entries on your starting list, mind you, but consider that you are looking at a variety of trigger/safety mechanisms. Deciding on that first may help you in narrowing your choices down.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:09 AM   #8
fender1974

Glock 19

Welcome to the Forum! There really isn't a question that cannot be answered here from what I've found. Friendly people who give great answers.

I too would vote for the Glock 19 (Gen 3). I only say this because I'm partial to Glocks and a G19 was my first handgun purchase. I have carried it concealed but lean towards a smaller gun (S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kahr CM9) for everyday carry, but cannot think of one negative thing to say about the 19. Some will disagree, but for me, it fits my hands perfectly, I'm able to get back on target for quick follow-up shots and it's just a reliable piece of machinery. I even like how Glocks look. Just recently picked up a G23, which is the G19 in .40 - liked it that much!

The G19 is what I keep on the nightstand.

Best of luck in whatever direction you choose to go!
Old November 1, 2012, 10:10 AM   #9
h2otoo

" especially since I enjoyed firing every gun I chose"

Oh ya, you will be in the "gun a month club" before you know it. AND you will be in good company

Bob
Old November 1, 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
sigarms228

Quote:
Just based on my price range (roughly $500 +/- a few bucks) and caliber, do you guys have any recommendations on other guns to shoot? And within the list, are certain of the mentioned guns higher quality than others that are also on it? By the way, I am left handed. I am not really familiar with how different trigger types feels either.
Definitley try a Walther PPQ. Terrific pistol and totally friendly to left handers!

Old November 1, 2012, 10:44 AM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
I guess I never really noticed whether one was DA/SA or not, probably because I am not familiar with how either single action or double action feels like.
with a DA/SA gun you have two separate actions the first shot is double action where it has to fully retract the hammer and then release it once it has been cocked. as a side effect, double action trigger pull is quite long and heavy, usually in the 10-12 pounds area. after the first shot the slide rocking back and forth cocks the hammer automatically so the trigger only has to release the hammer which is a much shorter, smoother operation usually in the 4-6 pound area, similar to the weight and travel of the glock 19 or Ruger SR9.

what you may have been doing is cocking the hammer yourself before you shot meaning every shot was single action so it is harder to tell the difference. I usually do that because I hate heavy trigger pulls and 2 separate pull weights means I have to concentrate abnormally hard for that first shot and even then I end up with a first round "flyer" that hits a different spot from the rest.