The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2008, 10:08 PM   #26
vox rationis

Well for what its worth, this M.D., who's training includes Spinal Cord Injury, Rehabilitation, Sports Medicine, and Interventional Spine wouldn't take the risk with SOB carry. Since SOB carry isn't really necessary, I think that the risk (spinal fracture if you fall on your back), although probably small, is significant enough that it outweighs the additional concealment benefit of SOB carry. But hey its your back, and you can do what you want with it.
Old December 6, 2008, 10:19 PM   #27
Crankylove

I carry my Springfield Micro Compact SOB all the time. Not really my first choice when i started to carry, but, am used to it now and don't even notice it anymore. I am 5'8", 150 lbs, about a 30-31" waist, and unless I am wearing a large winter coat, it is impossible for me to carry anywhere else without printing very badly. Its not too bad for me in the car or sitting in a chair, not uncomforatable, but you know its there. When I am driving, I pull the gun and hostler (Bianchi clip on), and stuff it under my thigh on the seat, it dosent get uncomforatble there, and it is within quick and easy reach ( and is also almost invisible, just the butt of the pistol sticks out from under my leg). It works for me, but to each his own.
Old December 7, 2008, 08:49 PM   #28
troy_mclure

sob prints less than most other cary positions, how is somebody gonna know you have it?

the way i carry ill feel somebody lifting my shirt/jacket to get to it.

it also requires a sharp tug, unless you know this you can pull all day and not releas it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 11, 2008, 05:10 PM   #29
Sulaco2

As I have said in other threads all most all, if not all LE agencies outlaw SOB carry because of the potenial injury to spine reasons noted above, mine even says no way to off duty carry, dito carrying handcuff cases or anything else there.
Old December 12, 2008, 12:33 PM   #30
David Armstrong

Quote:
As I have said in other threads all most all, if not all LE agencies outlaw SOB carry because of the potenial injury to spine reasons noted above, mine even says no way to off duty carry, dito carrying handcuff cases or anything else there.
I would have to question that. I've never run across a restriction like that, and I interact with a fair number of agencies. In fact, I just finished a trial where the type and location of the holster was an issue, so I researched it quite a bit. Maybe it is a NW phenomenon?