The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
DBLAction454

Need some input...

So my dad has been looking for a new 12ga to purchase and has his eyes set on a Benelli M4.

The more I read about them the more I want to pick one up for myself as well. Just wanted to ask the guys on here a few questions... My fathers biggest concern is the recoil. He feels himself getting older and he wants to be able to handle the larger loads. He spends more and more time out in bear country and he wants to be able to handle 3" slugs without feeling like hes taking too much of a beating.

Hes fired 3" slugs out of my 870 but he says that kicks too hard...

Anyway my main questions are Hows the benelli M4's reliability/track record? Can it handle larger loads ALL DAY without being worn down or affecting function? Is the +2 mag extender the largest extender you can purchase?

Thank you for you time!
Old May 9, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The mossberg 930 handles the 3 inch shells and being an auto loader, will, to some degree, mitigate recoil...

Brent
Old May 9, 2012, 09:34 AM   #3
DBLAction454

Thank you but I am asking about the Benelli M4. Anything else I'm not too interested in but thank you.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah you wealthy folks never give a look to the Po' Folk Shotguns...

J/K,

Brent
Old May 9, 2012, 09:52 AM   #5
oneounceload

A proper fitting gnu will mitigate recoil, a semi auto will also help elongate the pulse. A good recoil pad can help to some degree - but the best way to reduce recoil is to shoot the heaviest gun with the lightest loads. 3" slugs are NOT a light load and will have tremendous recoil no matter what gun they are fired in.

Why the need for 3" slugs?
Old May 9, 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
BigJimP

I've shot an M-4 ...and its a very nice gun. It operates smoothly ...and when I've been around them they are very reliable. Like any semi-auto they require maintenance and lubrication ...to run at their best.

Its a gas operated semi-auto vs the rest of the Benelli line of semi-autos which are inertia operated guns.

Yes, the recoil on the M-4 ...for even the heaviest of loads is very moderate...way less than a fixed breech gun - like any pump gun.

I have a pair of Benelli's - their sporting guns - and my guns / and the Benelli line of guns in general have the reputation for running forever. I have run my Benelli's thru 4 day tournaments...where I shot well over 1,000 shells..with no issues. All of my Benelli's are several yrs old now ...but they each have at least 20,000 shells thru them with no issues....and I have no reason to think the M-4 will not be at least as strong a gun.

I'm not a tactical shotgun guy ---- don't need one, don't want one ----but if I were going to buy one it would probably be the M-4 --- and I'm 61 yrs old/ with bad and rebuilt shoulders, some arthritis in my hands and wrists, surgeries on both elbows...( but I still shoot 5 or 6 rounds of Skeet every week I can / and I put 500 rds or more thru most of my handguns...in 9mm, .45 acp and .357 mag for the most part ) and the M-4 was fine for me on recoil ...a guy had one at my range about 3 wks ago ...and I put about 10 rds thru it with OO Buck ...no big deal.