The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 27, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
E&BC

Can I reload a Glock 30SF

??
Old August 27, 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
THEZACHARIAS

Short version: Yes, but Glock recommends against it.

I'm sure someone will post a more full description of the reasons for that, but basically the Glock manual says to never ever ever EVER use reloads (especially any kind of lead ones)because Glock rifling grooves are special and different from other companies grooves. In all honesty though, I know a number of people who use reloads (yes, even ones with lead bullets) in their Glocks of various calibers and have yet to have an issue. Best I can figure, Glock wants to cover their you-know-whats in case some over-enthusiastic handloader blows his hand off and tries to blame it on them.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:26 PM   #3
AlaskaMike

The rifling doesn't have anything to do with it. All manufacturers warn against using reloads, and most threaten a voided warranty.

You can safely reload for your Glock just as you can with any other quality handgun.

Mike
Old August 27, 2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Loader9

E&BC, yeah you can reload for a Glock. All of the manufacturers warn against reloads and Glock isn't any different. The biggest issue with the Glock is the unsupported chamber can make for a dangerous situation with max loads. If the pistol has poly rifling in the barrel, it probably won't shoot lead bullets at all with any kind of accuracy. But then again, the name Glock and accuracy can't really be said in the same positive sentence.

Now this'll be fun!
Old August 29, 2010, 02:13 AM   #5
McGlockster

Absolutely - I've loaded for my Glock 21SF, G37 and G17. I use FMJ bullets, but still drop in a Lone Wolf barrel when shooting the reloads as they have a tad bit more case support (not necessary, but just my preference). I do proper load development, but find that my Glocks function better at the upper end of the load levels. FWIW.
Old August 29, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Polygonal barrels vs cut rifling

I have been told that the reason lead bullets and Glocks don't get along is that the polygonal barrels (the polygonal shape performs the same function as rifling) tends to lead up, increasing pressures and has a particularly distressing habit of dragging on subsequent copper-jacketed rounds, to the point of sticking the bullet in the barrel.

So, that is why many reloaders using lead bullets buy aftermarket barrels with the more typical rifling with lands and grooves to replace the stock barrel either all the time or just when shooting lead..

So, the advice against lead bullets would apply to all guns using polygonal barrels.

However, Glocks are supposed to be worse because of the unsupported chamber.

I don't own a Glock, so have not verified this testimony personally, but the sources seemed authoritative and credible. Sorry, I did not keep the links.

So, the usual caveat applies: Believe only half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet.

Do your own research, but I suggest the rifling explanation as a good place to start.

Good luck, good shooting and be safe.

Lost Sheep
Old August 29, 2010, 02:52 PM   #7
cwok

Reloads and Barrells

I not absolutely sure on the poly barrel issue
BUT
I've decided to go with a six-inch barrel for my Glock 10mm.
That being the case, I'll buy an aftermarket barrel that uses traditional rifling and see how it works.

BTW: Part of the issue on barrel use is that a lot of people started using plated bullets (well - I did) instead of plain lead or jacketed bullets.
Plated bullets have a much thinner and softer coating of brass over the lead than Jacketed bullets do --- and usually cost less.
I imagine that pushing a plated bullet at very high speed through the Glock poly barrel could - could - possible be a problem (note the following sentance).
The plated bullet manufacturers tend to recommend against using the bullets at over 1200 fps (anyway the two manufacturers I buy from said so).

So if I wanted to shoot light fast bullets, I'd probably go back to jacketed. However I'm just as happy with heavier bullets at 1000-1200 fps from my 10mm.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:35 PM   #8
buffalo

I shoot Berrys plated bullets through all my Glocks and have had no issues,i do not shoot regular lead though.
Old August 29, 2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Doby45

I Glock 30SF is relatively new, you do not have to worry about an "unsupported" chamber. This pretty much only affected the 1st Generation of Glocks and as of now is more an old wives tale than anything. Here is photo of my gen 3 Glock 23 barrel next to an aftermarket barrel. No issue with chamber support, my Gen 2 looked the exact same way.