The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 1999, 02:37 AM   #1
ARshooter

With the numerous copper plated bullets on the market today, I was wondering what bullet is the best. For the shooters who use these copper plated bullets, what brand do you prefer?
Old October 31, 1999, 05:14 AM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I use Rainier. I use slower burning powders and get decent accuracy in some calibers and outstanding groups in .45acp and .44 Spec. Best.
Old November 1, 1999, 09:01 PM   #3
k in AR

If your talking pistol I almost always use XTP. Very good performance at a fair price. For Rifle I use Sierra Gameking and Speer SPBT.
Old November 1, 1999, 11:07 PM   #4
TheOtherMikey

Either Ranier or Berry, whichever I can get the best deal on. As I recall, the Berry shines a little brighter than the Ranier. I just finished loading 1,000 Ranier .45 ACP 200gr FP for target shooting.

The main reason I use coated bullets is to reduce lead fouling in my barrel....although I DO run a lead removal patch through the bore at each and every cleaning which comes out BLACK.

Hope this helps, Mikey

P.S. An XTP bullet is a great projectile but it is considered a full metal jacket (FMJ) projectile rather than simply a coated bullet.

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited November 01, 1999).]
Old November 2, 1999, 12:24 AM   #5
Long Path

Mikey--

See if you can recover a few of the Berry bullets, and tell me how well the jacket stays on. Ranier has finally (couple of years ago, actually) solved a problem they used to have of the plating shredding off in the rifling of the the barrel. Hurt accuracy, and made the barrel lead, some, too. The way Ranier fixed it, I understand, was to start "double bumping" the jackets into the bullets, which sized the plating to the core and work-hardened the plating a bit, too.

What's your price and source? Stepen A. and I probably get Raniers from the same place, namely Dallas or Ft. Worth Gun Show[s].

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old November 2, 1999, 03:52 PM   #6
TheOtherMikey

Hey, Long Path! I will try to recover some rounds this week and report. I haven't had much problem in the accuracy department using either Berry or Ranier.

I get them at gun shows here in Arizona (also primers, sometimes powder, but never brass).

Later, Mikey

BTW I only load to target load pressures and velocities.

PPSS I checked and only have Raniers loaded or around the bench right now. Haven't bought Berry's in quite a while so I can't really check.

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited November 02, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited November 04, 1999).]
Old November 2, 1999, 06:16 PM   #7
John Lawson

Rainier Bullets is located about 3 miles from my shop, so I have used them from the very early days when the company had another name. I use the 200 gr SWC .45 bullet with a fairly hot load and have had excellent results.
The only time you have to be careful is with the magnum loads. They have been known to shed the plating when pushed too fast.
In tests, I have pushed the .45 to 1,000 with good results. I prefer to keep the .44 mag at .44 special +P level maximum or less.
The new "double bumped" bullets look and work better than the older type. So well that I haven't made H&G 68's on my Master Caster in quite a few years.
Old November 2, 1999, 07:10 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

I'll cast another vote for Rainier bullets. I've used them with good success in 9mm and .40 S&W. I've tried several copper plated bullets from National Bullet, but they were no where near the quality of the Rainiers, lots of voids and the plating is only about .001" thick.
Old November 3, 1999, 01:32 PM   #9
Fred

Both Ranier and Berry's work well for me for light to moderate target loads. Also used some West Coast plated bullets w/o problems.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old November 4, 1999, 01:00 PM   #10
LongDuck

HardCast bullet company in California has a booth at every local (AZ) gunshow that I attend and their pricing has been very good. These are packed in white boxes with a black band across the top, with a little clear window so that you can see what you're buying. I'm very happy with their performance, and 2,000 loads of 9mm later (target, practice and IDPA), I am satisfied that they are accurate and the plating is thick enough for what I reload.

The plating is thing enough to allow for a good crimp, but also thick enought that it will deform the case before cutting into the plate/lead of the bullet. I'll keep buying these for my reloading needs as they seem to be high quality.
Old November 4, 1999, 07:10 PM   #11
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, Longpath. I bought mine locally via a gunshop and got no special deal. I'm sure that I didn't get 'em at gun show prices, but I wanted bullets and lots of 'em. This was in the dark days of '94. I don't recall the price and am unfortunately in the process of moving and the bullets (what's left) are at a different location......Best.

Old November 4, 1999, 09:25 PM   #12
Guy B. Meredith

Mikey,

Where can I obtain the Berry bullets? I see ads for Ranier, but cannot locate the Berry source.

Guy
Old November 7, 1999, 06:13 PM   #13
WalterGAII

I'm canneluring all my bullets that I'm loading for .400 Cor-Bon. Just got in 1000 rounds of West Coast Bullets plated, 160gr., fprn. I'm canneluring pretty deeply, and haven't poked through the plating yet. Seems to be really quality stuff. Accuracy is great. I'm using a compensated Accu-match barrel in a G21. I've clocked the 160's pushed by 10gr. of AA#5, at 1250fps, with no problems. Cost, $56, delivered.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!