The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 21, 2012, 09:32 PM   #1
RJM

Freedom Arms still in business?

Just wondering if Freedom Arms was still making guns. I went to their website and it doesn't seem like it has been updated for a couple of years. I am going to send them an email this weekend as I would like to get info on a model 97, but just wondering if anybody here has the scoop. Thanks.
Old December 21, 2012, 10:07 PM   #2
jmortimer

Yes, know of people who have taken delivery within past few months. Introduced new model at this year's SHOT Show - 3.5" .45 Colt with modified ejector.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Motownstan

U.S. Firearms is a little shaky.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
solocam72

Always wanted one of these darn things! I've spent enough over the years on stupid junk I could have bought several. Just couldn't make myself shell out nearly 2k for one. I wanted it in the super grade .454 cassul
Old December 23, 2012, 08:38 AM   #5
kcub

What is different between premier grade and super grade?
Old December 23, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
solocam72

That was a boo boo on my part, I meant premier grade
Old December 23, 2012, 01:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

Yes, Freedom Arms is in business and doing very well.

I took delivery on a large frame Premier grade last spring...it took them about 3 months to deliver..and right now the lead times are a little longer.

Their website may not be updated...but why would they, if they're busy and building great guns. Here is the difference between their Premier Grade and their Field Grade...

http://www.freedomarms.com/

Depending on what you want - Premier Grade, model 83 (large frame is about $ 2,400 - or a little more / with whatever options you want )...personally, on mine, I added an octagonal barrel, action job, overtravel screw...(mine is a 4 3/4" octagon barrel, .357 mag..)...

I'd recommend Freedom Arms - mine is an excellent gun ! Here is a photo of mine.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...0&d=1339790943

Last edited by BigJimP; December 23, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
rem1858

Yep; still in business.
I just traded my S&W model 52-2 for a Premier grade 7.5" 454 Casull.
I emailed Freedom Arms for a birthdate of my trade and asked some other questions.
Got no reply for a couple days, then a phone call from the owner of the company.
We talked for about a half hour.
I thought that was pretty cool, never expected it especially since it was not a new purchase.
Oh, by the way it was built on Oct.13, 1994
I would post a pic, but this sight will not allow it cause my pic's are too large.

I mounted a Leupold M2 EER scope with the 3 ring TSOB mount system.
Shot it yesterday for the first time to adjust the scope using Buffalo Bore 325gr lead flat nose at 1525 fps.

Nice and accurate, what a power house.
This is going to replace my SRH .44 magnum for my hunting pistol.

Always wanted an FA and jumped on the chance cause I am not getting any younger.
Just had to own one and I am not dissapointed.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
Old December 23, 2012, 05:30 PM   #9
mrt949

BIG JIM P.
Every time I see a pic of your FREEDOM ARMS. I get a headche from banging my head for not buying one years ago.
Old December 24, 2012, 06:42 AM   #10
kcub

My LGS doesn't carry them because they don't carry liability insurance. They gross 100 million + a year and worry about such things. They do sell them used, however. I bought one from an estate sale they had, $1200 for a 7.5" .454 premier grade. I never thought I would own one because I never saw myself paying 1500 - 2k for one. It's one damn fine and accurate revolver. I may get another in .41 someday. They are indeed worth the money. Some ambulance chaser will put them out of business someday.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
BigJimP

thanks mrt949 -- when I ordered it, all I had to go by on the octagonal barrel was from photos, never held one in my hand....but I was very happy when it was delivered....

and I put 150 rds thru it yesterday at my local range...
---------------
I don't know about your insurance story kcub ....but I'd be careful about repeating it ...is your local store taking that position because freedom arms won't indemnify them as a seller for some reason, maybe your gun store is deamanding something unusal on the mfg's insurance because they don't have products liability insurance, does FA's have commercial general liability, do they have products liability / do any firearms mfg's have products liability insurance or are they self insured ??? .....those are all very complicated issues. Maybe your local dealer won't carry them in inventory - because they have to pay 100% for them up front/and FA's won't take them back if he can't sell them...and he won't take the risk.../ could be a lot more info behind the scenes...?? Why would he sell them used --- does he think the liability is different - or that the products liability is different ?? And all of this is probably better left to his lawyer - and Freedom Arms lawyers / and after all, your local gun store can do what he wants - its his store.

A couple of stores in my area do carry new Freedom Arms ...and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about dealing with them / my personal email conversations with Freedom Arms have always been coridal when I was asking questions on specs, etc trying to make up my mind on what I wanted to order.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:07 AM   #12
kcub

All I know is what the owner told me, no dog in the hunt myself. He said there is no better single action made. He has numerous high end shotguns in the rack, money up front is no consideration for this guy.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:15 AM   #13
mrt949

Big Jim P.
About 20 yrs ago I had the pleasure of shooting most of all the freedom arms at the local ihmsa matches .If I would haved listened to the veterans of the sport I could haved saved a lot of money over the years .
Old December 24, 2012, 10:48 AM   #14
BigJimP

I understand Kcub ....and if we each had a nickel for all of the "amazing stuff" we hear in gun stores, I'd have been retired a long time ago ...

Trust me mrt949 ....if all of us knew 20 yrs ago, what we know today, we all would have saved some money.
--------------
But you know what -- no regrets -- especially in terms of guns I've bought or should have bought.../ as long as you have fun every time you take them to the range, how can you be unhappy...

I went to the range yesterday ...as a revolver day...I had the Freedom Arms .357 mag, a S&W model 27-2 4" Nickel (.357 mag ), a model 19-1 4" Nickel ( .357 mag), a model 18 4" blued in .22 - and a model 617 6" .22 .../ and about 8 boxes of .357 mag...and 10 or so boxes of .22 ...and had some fun.

I tore up some targets....worked on my draw and double taps, and my reloads in the model 27 and 19 ...and had some fun. One young kid probably 9 or 10 was there with his dad ...said he liked my 'cowboy guns' ....so I let him and his dad inspect them and put a few rounds thru them.../ maybe I even sold the kid or his dad on looking at revolvers someday...

Have a good holiday guys.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:23 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Some ambulance chaser will put them out of business someday.
Thing about ambulance chasers is they pretty much chase insurance money. Ever heard of someone being sued for knowingly giving another person an STD? Happens all the time, in some instances there is a solid case, but no one ever sues. Every policy extending liability coverage I have EVER seen has an exception for transferring disease so no lawyer will touch it.

Their revolvers do look great and someday I might get one. At present it is hard to go for more than a Ruger though. They do the job at 25% of the price.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #16
g.willikers

I want one mostly because Nate, C.J. Box's kick-a character in his novels, carries one.
And he never has to shoot the bad guys more than once.