The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 13, 2000, 12:53 PM   #1
hollow point

Mrs. HP and myself are looking into building our dream house in the next upcoming years. I have a strong background in architecture and plan on designing the house ourselves (read: myself). I employ home security/defense practices in our current house, and consider myself quite versed in them. I am now looking to take it to the next level and think about security design concepts. I think that there is a difference between "starting from scratch" home defense thinking and "working with what you have" home defense thinking (I realize that there could be some overlap in the two thought processes, but at some point your "wwwyh" thinking can become less feasible and "sfs" thinking becomes more . Does anyone have any good online resources for this information? I have some books tagged for purchase, but would like to wait till farther into the design process to buy them. Online resources would hopefully get the juices flowing in my brain and get some ideas forming.

TIA, JHP

*Pro-Rights*Christian*Conservative*Gun Owner*
My Principles are detested by the vocal,
but are respected by the strong!
**NRA****GOA****BSA****USTF****CotB****VCDL**

Old December 14, 2000, 07:22 AM   #2
twist996

consultant

hp...you might contact your local security service, and get them to consult...that's why they're called experts...just a thought....
Old December 15, 2000, 02:30 AM   #3
Randy Cain

Jeff Cooper's book is called:
"To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth"
The chapter Erick mentioned is
"Notes on Tactical Residential Architecture."

Good stuff!

There are a few architects in the country who specialize in designing homes with defensive capabilities in mind. They analyze the building site, lifstyle of the residents, path of the sun at various times of year, budget, etc.

When I go into a house I'm constantly evaluating tactical nuances as though I were doing a SWAT entry. If I am looking at a house to live in, I turn the tactical scenario 180 degrees and study it from the viewpoint of having to defend it. The best way is to design the defense into it before it is built!

Good luck!
Old December 15, 2000, 09:12 AM   #4
SB

hp: Do you have kids?
Old December 15, 2000, 11:36 AM   #5
hollow point

Hopefully not for the next 8-10 years. Just the dog, some fish and us.
Old December 16, 2000, 07:43 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

All suggestions are good ones. The biggest thing I got from Cooper's book was the idea of flanking your entry ways with openings that allow you to observe/challenge anyone at the door. Sad to say, most designs neglect this aspect. Mine sure does..

I also like the idea of log homes. I recently tested a representative timber and was pleased that it stopped all handgun rounds. Rifles and shotgun slugs walked through it, but I imagine a Kevlar/Spectre/steel lining would drasticly improve the odds. Sandwich something more durable between the logs and the inner wall at least at your firing ports and you'd have a decent imitation of a bunker.

Giz
Old December 17, 2000, 12:45 AM   #7
SB

In my personal opinion, not having kids to protect is more than half the battle.

Conventional thinking is that, if you don't have kids, you don't have to go out there. That means you only need to create a safe room where your wife can call 911 while you're getting your home defense tools. Barracade and wait it out.

Have you folks decided on the square-footage?
Old December 17, 2000, 01:01 AM   #8
Lance Gothic

Hollow Point, Mrs. Point,
There are several firms associated with structural enhancements. Part of my work was related to providing "after-market" 'Safe Space'. The scenario was related to a rash of BG follow-home incidents. The architect I worked with asked if we could re-design the internal structure. It was NOT essential to do so! We used already existing gaps and minor,( emphasis on MINOR!), alteration to give home invaders no recourse against otherwise unprotected inhabitants.
You may want to contact a security professional through:
http://www.esi-lifeforce.com/
http://www.rloutman.com/
http://www.profiles-threat.com/kobetz_networking
and -
http://personalprotection.com/
Contact me via e-mail and I will expound upon the merits and resources you should consider.
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

"If you cannot conceive of terror, you cannot conceive of a response to terror."